Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC Photograph of the Glasgow Western Necropolis Cemetery

Tony Ring

I have been researching Gunner William Robert Aitken aged 21 years of the New Zealand Field Artillery and discovered that he died on the 17th June 1919. He is shown to be buried in the Glasgow Western Necropolis cemetery so I brought up the CWGC site that has a general photograph of it.

I noticed that the photograph was taken from what appears to be the rear of the cemetery as all the headstones except for one appear to face the other way. The one facing the camera is in the first row, left hand side and the inscription can be read.

When I had a closer look at this headstone I was staggered to find it belonged to my man.

I find it incredible that out of the 355 First World War plots in the cemetery the one that I am interested in can be identified in the photograph.

Well done CWGC I am impressed.

Tony

Well-spotted. What are the chances of that! Brilliant.

Eirian

Must admit I was like the old guy from the Vicar of Dibley " No No No Yes !!!!! When I first spotted it

I suspect it was deliberate as you live so far away and are unlikely to be able to visit. :innocent: Ralph.

Now why did I not think of that explaination.

I must admit for a few seconds I had asked myself why was he buried in Ireland. Geography was never my strong subject.

Tony

Tony,

If you'd prefer a higher resolution copy, send me a PM with your personal e-mail and I'll forward a copy (of the stone, not the view).

Anne

Tony,

If you'd prefer a higher resolution copy, send me a PM with your personal e-mail and I'll forward a copy (of the stone, not the view).

Anne

Anne.

Thank you for your kind offer.

PM sent.

Tony