The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

glasgow highlanders pre-war territorials

gerard

My great uncle was a pre-war territorial with the Glasgow Highlanders numbered 1644.I know he was 19 when he was sent to France,the western front on the 5 november 1914.You had to be 19 at the time to qualify for overseas service.This correspondes with his age on his birth certificate.Ive been told that he was in the territorials for some time before being sent to the war.Can anyone please tell me which year he joined the territorials from his number 1644?It is a fairly low number.His personal records were destroyed in the blitz,therefore nothing at National Archives,I have already tried.Please anyone out there who can help.Thanks in advance.GERARD

Glasgow Highlanders were, I believe, a TF bn. of HLI.

Going out on a limb, the number suggests that this TF unit started numbering at number 1. in 1908 when formed. Recruiting for first year was often swift, as ex-VF men enlisted. After that it slowed down.

So, a few years after 1908, but probably not as late as 1914. He could have joined at 16, even younger. 1910 or 1911 perhaps?

Try enlisting aid of a HLI expert for better advice.

My great uncle was a pre-war territorial with the Glasgow Highlanders numbered 1644.I know he was 19 when he was sent to France,the western front on the 5 november 1914.You had to be 19 at the time to qualify for overseas service.This correspondes with his age on his birth certificate.Ive been told that he was in the territorials for some time before being sent to the war.Can anyone please tell me which year he joined the territorials from his number 1644?It is a fairly low number.His personal records were destroyed in the blitz,therefore nothing at National Archives,I have already tried.Please anyone out there who can help.Thanks in advance.GERARD

Gerard

I am a member of the Glasgow Highlanders Association will see if I can find some of the info you require from the museum , what was his name ?.

Dan

Judging by other Regiment's TF Battalion men the number 1644 would "suggest" an enlistment circa 1912~early 14,most tend to enter the 2000 range around June/July 1914 when there was IIRC a large recruitment drive for TF.the

Gerard

I am a member of the Glasgow Highlanders Association will see if I can find some of the info you require from the museum , what was his name ?.

Hi,thanks for reply,Sgt William Weldon,1644.

Dan

Gerard,

Might be worth a re-read of the war diary and Come on Highlanders etc, there may be mention of someone with a similar number that refers to when they joined up. I'll have a look through the reference books I have and let you know if I find something.

Cheers,

Rob

• 3 weeks later...
Judging by other Regiment's TF Battalion men the number 1644 would "suggest" an enlistment circa 1912~early 14,most tend to enter the 2000 range around June/July 1914 when there was IIRC a large recruitment drive for TF.the

Thanking you for the advice,just to let you know that I have found out that he joined Jan-feb 1913,you gave the most accurate estimate.thanks Gerard

Gerard,

With a date of disembarkation as 5 November 1914 it is likely your Great Uncle was a member of the 8th HLI Company attached to the 8th Royal Scots.

The 8th H.LI. did not serve abroad as a Battalion in WW1,and,therefore, no Battalion War Diary exists.However,the 8th Royal Scots do have a printed History.

The History can be viewed on John Duncan's Web-site-Newbattle at War-in the 8th Royal Scots at War section or if you p.m. me your e-mail address I'll forward an electronic copy.

If you wish me to copy on this Thread, the 8th Royal Scots War Diary entries concerning the 8th H.LI. prior to leaving for France just post a confirmatory reply.

George

• 1 month later...
Gerard,

Hi Rob,Im puttig together an article for the Glasgow Highlanders Association based on the experiences of my great uncle William Weldon 1644.Would it be o.k. if I mention your great uncle as one of the men of the battalion killed at Highwood.

?Do you know if he has a grave or is he mentioned on a wall of rememberance.I think he was a very typical young man of the battalion who was tragically killed.At least it would highlight his story for the futurethanks GERARD

Might be worth a re-read of the war diary and Come on Highlanders etc, there may be mention of someone with a similar number that refers to when they joined up. I'll have a look through the reference books I have and let you know if I find something.

Cheers,

Rob