Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Thomas Carlyle Hart

Maxsparky

Pte Thomas Carlyle Hart, 19th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles, is listed as "Drowned at Sea" on the Presbyterian Church in Ireland - Roll of Honour 1914-1919. He lived at Tierfergus, listed in 1911 census as Thomas aged 15yrs. He had attended Rathfriland 1st Presbyterian Church.

I have been unable to find out any further detail regarding his death, nor does he appear on the CWGC list. He is also not recorded on the local war memorial.

Would anyone have any further details on this man?

Adrian58

A few Medal Index Cards for Thomas HART (no middle names),maybe they can be discounted:

1) 19926 Royal Irish Rifles.2 cards one for SWBadge discharged 4.7.1918.

2) 3/9467 RIR. SWBadge issued - no date of discharge and no ref to death.

3) 12907 RIR and RAF12907. SWBadge issued - no date of dischrge and no ref to death,and,the interesting one:

4) 19/22 RIR. Note on card showing return of two campaign medals as he had deserted. The 19 is,I take it,a prefix for the 19th Battalion. Might this be him ? No ref to his death.

Sotonmate

Hi Adrian

Interesting one this. I had one name who was listed on local Banbridge War Memorial but I couldn't find in either SDGW or CWGC, turned out he was wounded, discharged, awarded a SWB, became a ships joiner and was then torpedoed on way to South Africa, so don't ignore the SWB's either. Happy hunting!

Regards, Tommy.

Thought I'd add this .... if you can find out about the movements of the battalion maybe he was drowned on one of the troopships going to England ... shame you don't have a date for Thomas !

19th (Reserve) Battalion Royal Irish Rifles

Formed in Newcastle around October 1915 as a Reserve Battalion, from depot companies of 14th and 15th Bns. Moved to England in April 1918, going to Larkhill where absorbed by 3rd (Reserve) Bn.

http://www.1914-1918.net/ririfles.htm