Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Beachy Head

Ian - Sussex

The area around Beachy Head appears to be the graveyard of numerous ships of the Great War. Are there any wreck charts available ( or other records ) from which I could try and find how many ships from WW1 are out there, say, within a ten mile radius of Beachy Head. Apologies for such an obscure request

Any leads would be appreciated.

Ian

QUOTE (Peter B @ Oct 7 2009, 08:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Ian,

This link may give you some more info

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...etID=52&j=1

Regards

Peter

Thanks Peter. Noticed a book on this site called "British Merchant Ships Sunk by U-boats in the 1914-18 War" which gives locations. Copy on its way to me from Amazon used books.

Ian

Ian

There are a number of books on diving wrecks off the Beachy Head area, but I will look at Larn's Shipwreck Index of the British Isles for Beachy Head during WW1 and see how many wrecks there are, tomorrow

Cheers Ron

Hi Ian

I just counted 48 vessels sunk, including one U-boat off the Beachy Head area, however there are many dozens more either side and further out into the English Channel. That also includes some trawlers, but it does not count the ones sunk in collisions or stranding, just war losses;)

The Shipwreck Indexes are in six volumes and cover all the areas of the British Isles by date and area and give quite good details of the vessels; you can find the books on E-bay quite often at around £20 each but they were £60. Beachy Head is in Volume Two, which is very hard to find these days.

Cheers Ron

Ian, you might find this site useful http://www.wrecksite.eu/Wrecksite.aspx

NB it is necessary to register to use the site (free) and a subscription - which I've never taken out so can't comment on its usefulness - is required to view the detailed charts.

I haven't used this site for some time, and when I tried just now I was getting error messages, but that is probably just my set up or a temporary glitch.

NigelS

Hi Ian

I just counted 48 vessels sunk, including one U-boat off the Beachy Head area, however there are many dozens more either side and further out into the English Channel. That also includes some trawlers, but it does not count the ones sunk in collisions or stranding, just war losses;)

The Shipwreck Indexes are in six volumes and cover all the areas of the British Isles by date and area and give quite good details of the vessels; you can find the books on E-bay quite often at around £20 each but they were £60. Beachy Head is in Volume Two, which is very hard to find these days.

Cheers Ron

Thanks Ron - very useful info.

Ian