Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sir William Gore Sutherland Mitchell KCB, CBE, DSO, MC, AFC MID (6)

spidge

Looking for information on the burial of Sir William Mitchell and any other pertinent details. I know he was buried at Wandsworth (Putney Vale) Cemetery in London however I am unable to find any details. Would anyone have have a photo of the grave? I tried to upload a 21k photo of him but to no avail.

I realise his was a WW2 death however his roots were WW1.

The first Air Force Officer to be appointed 26 Sep 1941 to the position of Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod.

Air Chief Marshal Sir William (Gore Sutherland) Mitchell

Australian Born

William Gore Sutherland b: 8 Mar 1888 r: 1 Jul 1941 d: 15 Aug 1944

KCB - 1 Jan 1938 (CB - 1 Jan 1935), CBE - 30 May 1924, DSO - 1 Jan 1918, MC - 1 Jan 1917, AFC - 3 Jun 1919, MiD - 19 Oct 1914 (& 9Dec 1914), MiD - 1 Jan 1916, MiD - 11 Dec 1917, MiD - 10 Jun 1921, MiD - 30 May 1924.

(Army): - 2 Lt: 15 Aug 1906, Lt: 4 Nov 1911, (T) Capt: 15 Jan 1915, Capt: 17 May 1915, (T) Maj: 1 Mar 1916, (T) Lt Col: 18 Dec 1916.

(RAF): - (T) Lt Col [Maj]: 1 Apr 1918, (T) Col: 9 Jul 1918, Wg Cdr: 1 Aug 1919 [1 Apr 1918], Gp Capt: 1 Jul 1924, A/Cdre: 1 Jul 1929, AVM: 1 Jul 1933, AM: 1 Jul 1937, Act ACM (unpd): 9 Sep 1939 - 13 May 1940, ACM: Retained.

(RAFO Class CC): - Wg Cdr: 13 Jul 1942.

15 Aug 1906: Officer, 4th Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).

28 Jun 1908: Officer, 3rd Battalion, Devonshire Regiment (Special Reserve).

xx xxx 1909: Officer, Highland Light Infantry. (RAeC Certificate No 483)

xx xxx 1913: Attended Central Flying School.

17 Dec 1913: Pilot, No 4 Sqn RFC. (Various types – Netheravon/Western Front)

15 Jan 1915: Flight Commander, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – UK/Western Front)

1 Jun 1916: Officer Commanding, No 10 Sqn RFC. (BE2c, BE2d – Western Front)

18 Dec 1916: Officer Commanding, 12th (Corps) Wing RFC.

9 Jul 1918: Officer Commanding, No 20 Group.

1 Aug 1919: Awarded Permanent Commission as a Lieutenant Colonel

6 Jan 1920: Officer Commanding, No 52 (Corps) Wing. (India)

1 Apr 1920: Officer Commanding, No 3 (Indian) Wing. (re-designated No 1 (Indian) Wing)

10 Jul 1920: Officer Commanding, No 1 (Indian) Wing, Wiziristan.

28 Mar 1924: Officer Commanding, No 1 FTS.

19 Jan 1925: Group Captain - Admin, HQ RAF Halton./OC No 1 SoTT (Boys)

8 Mar 1928: Officer Commanding, Aden Command.

4 Oct 1929: Director of Training.

30 Jan 1933: AOC, RAF Cranwell/Commandant, RAF College.

31 Dec 1934: AOC, British Forces in Iraq.

1 Jul 1937: Air Member for Personnel.

21 Mar 1938: Supernumerary, HQ No 6 (Auxiliary) Group.

23 Mar 1939: AOC in C, RAF Middle East.

24 May 1940: Inspector-General of the RAF.

1 Oct 1941: Reverted to Retired List retaining the rank of Air Chief Marshal.

26 Sep 1941 Appointed Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod

13 Jul 1942: Appointed to commission in Class CC of RAFO, Admin and Special Duties branch

xx xxx 1942 - 15 Aug 1944: Commandant, London Command - ATC.

He was awarded RAeC No 483 on 17 May 1913. Retiring from the RAF in 1941, he became the first RAF officer to hold the post of 'Black Rod' in the House of Lords. With the expansion of the Air Training Corps following it's formation in 1941, there became a growing need for decentralising the command structure as a result of which he was appointed Commandant of London Command in 1942, a post he held until his death at the early age of 56 from a heart attack.

Cheers

Geoff

From Hansard - http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/lords/1...liam#column_118

THE LATE AIR CHIEF MARSHAL SIR WILLIAM MITCHELL.

HL Deb 26 September 1944 vol 133 cc117-8 117

§ THE LORD CHANCELLOR (VISCOUNT SIMON)

My Lords, since the House last assembled, your Lordships will have been grieved to learn of the sudden death of a distinguished and important official of the House, Air Chief Marshal Sir William Mitchell, who for the last three years has held the post of Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod. Sir William was the first representative of the Air Force to hold this position, as it had previously been occupied either by a distinguished soldier or a distinguished sailor. His association with the Air Force went back to the very beginnings of the Royal Flying Corps; he gained his certificate as a qualified pilot in the summer of 1913; and when, at the outbreak of the last war, the four squadrons of the original Air Force went to France, he took part in No. 4 Squadron. By 1916 he was commanding a newly-raised squadron in the Battle of the Somme. In 1917 he was promoted to become what would now be called a Wing Commander, and served in the Battle of Arras, where he gained his D.S.O., and he rendered eminent flying service in various capacities right through the war.

Between the wars Sir William had a most distinguished career in India and at Aden and then, in 1933, he became Commandant of the newly-formed R.A.F. College at Cranbrook. His service in the Air Force carried him to the position of Inspector-General, which he held until his appointment three years ago to official service in connexion with this House. Although his services as Black Rod were so regrettably short, Sir William Mitchell had impressed us all with his attention to duty, his dignified bearing and his in-variable courtesy. We sincerely deplore the loss of the official and friend who was always ready to be kind and helpful in arranging for the accommodation of visitors and in other ways, and who has now passed from the world at the early age of fifty-six. Your Lordships will, I feel sure, wish that a message of condolence and sympathy should be sent to his widow and his relatives.

§ LORD ADDISON

My Lords, I should like, on behalf of my noble friends to support the suggestion made by the noble and learned Viscount. It was not my good fortune, as it was of the noble Viscount sitting beyond the Gangway just below me (Lord Trenchard), to know at first hand the record of his service in the Air Force of one for whose loss we express our regret to-day, but I do know that all my friends feel that we received from him constant and tactful helpfulness. We should like to testify how much we appreciated the ability and kindliness with which he discharged his duty to this House, and to associate ourselves with what the noble and learned Viscount has said.

§ VISCOUNT SAMUEL

My Lords, in every quarter of the House the sudden and unexpected death of our late Black Rod is deeply regretted. After many years in the highest posts of the Royal Air Force, Sir William Mitchell entered the service of this House, and it is pleasant to think that one of the Houses of the Imperial Parliament should have had as one of its principal officers a man who was Australian born. All of us have had experience on many occasions of his helpfulness and courtesy, and we all join in the expression of sympathy which the Lord Chancellor has proposed to send to his relatives.

Hi Geoff

Here are some details from The Times

The Times, Thursday, Aug 17, 1944; pg. 1; Issue 49937; col A; Article CS17252113

Category: Deaths

post-5512-1254930695.jpg

The Times, Thursday, Aug 17, 1944; pg. 7; Issue 49937; col E; Article CS119357201

Category: Obituaries

part I

post-5512-1254930760.jpg

Nigels

The Times, Monday, Aug 21, 1944; pg. 6; Issue 49940; col A; Article CS101007125

Category: Deaths

post-5512-1254931093.jpg

The only coverage in The Times of the memorial service appears to be an announcement from Buckingham palace (dated Aug. 25) in the 'Court Circular' of Aug 26th giving:

The King was represented by Group Captain Sir Louis Greig (Extra Gentlemam Usher to His Majesty) at the Memorial Service for Air-Chief Marshal Sir William Mitchell (Gentleman Usher of the Black Rod), which was held at St. Margaret's Church, Westminster, to-day.

Finally here are the Royal Aero Club Certificate (mentioned in the obituary) index card & photo

post-5512-1254931938.jpg

post-5512-1254931993.jpg

Wonderful hat!

NigelS

Nigel,

You are are real gent - Thank you.

I never new anything of him until I "fell" over over his name doing some research.

Would you say that his was classed as a Military Funeral? Seems to me it was however the name is not mentioned.

Cheers and thanks

Geoff

Heres a picture of his grave ...

Hi Annie,

Thanks for the images - Thought it may be hard to get. (Was for me) I have another at Putney Vale which I had been chasing for a couple of years. Grant, E. D. of the AFC without much luck and thought this might also be a tester.

Could you send me the headstone images by email please?

Cheers

Geoff

Finally here are the Royal Aero Club Certificate (mentioned in the obituary) index card & photo

Wonderful hat!

NigelS

Hi Nigel,

Forgot to ask - Would you mind if I used these images in your posts for my research?

Cheers

Geoff

quote: 'spidge' Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM' post='1279606' Forgot to ask - Would you mind if I used these images in your posts for my research?

Tricky one that Geoff. The Aero Club records come from Ancestry (UK) with the originals held at Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon so not sure what, if any, copyright issues there might be; With newspaper extracts the copyright technically probably still belongs to The Times. In both cases probably not a problem for 'research' purposes (waiting for a knock on the door for having posted them on here :o) but it might become an issue if you were to re-publish to a wider audience. Sorry for the vague answer.

NigelS

quote: 'spidge' Oct 8 2009, 08:45 AM' post='1279606' Forgot to ask - Would you mind if I used these images in your posts for my research?

Tricky one that Geoff. The Aero Club records come from Ancestry (UK) with the originals held at Royal Air Force Museum, Hendon so not sure what, if any, copyright issues there might be; With newspaper extracts the copyright technically probably still belongs to The Times. In both cases probably not a problem for 'research' purposes (waiting for a knock on the door for having posted them on here :o) but it might become an issue if you were to re-publish to a wider audience. Sorry for the vague answer.

NigelS

Thanks Nigel.

Personal use is the reason.

Cheers

Geoff

• 12 years later...