Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Alphonso Watson HENCHY, MC

corisande

I don't know if anyone can help me with this. The 10th Royal Dublin Fusilier War Diary for Jan 1917 reports the award of an MC to 2lt A W HENCHY in connection with the Easter Rising. And indeed it is gazetted in Jan 1917 as well

Now Easter Rising was in Dublin in April 1916, some 9 months previously. I have already done a lot of research into the Dublin Fusiliers role in the Easter Rising, and have failed to find a mention of Lt Henchy's action (the War Diary also records along with Henchy's award 2 MIDs also in connection with the Easter rising for A/RSM HENDERSON JS 14779 and A/RSM LYNCH C 25573 )

Sum total of my knowledge on Henchy is below (there was another Henchy in RDF who was probably his brother and lived in Isle of Man)

2nd Lt Alphonso Watson HENCHY was awarded the Military Cross in connection with the Dublin Rising. Later was complimented on his patrol report by the Brigadier, as the result of patrol on 12 Oct 1916 . He must have been wounded on this patrol as he was was struck off the strength of the battalion on transfer to England, dated 18/10/1916. He mus have served then in a different battalion of RDF as he appears in London Gazette with appointment to Lt in RDF dated from 18 Aug 1917.

I have no experience of trying to get at MC information online. Can anyone help or add to what I have.

corisande

There is an Officer Service File at Kew for one HENCHY A,under WO339/53757. Worth a look but it has to be on site there,as it isn't an on-line access. There might be the citation.

Sotonmate

I think that his borther probably was, as I have found only 2 Henchy officers in RDF

HENCHY Lt Dudley North served in the 7th Battalion Royal Dublin Fusiliers. He applied for his medals in 1922 and they were sent to him at 2 Parliament Square, Castletown, Isle of Man. Went to France 15 July 1916

Not him that I am interested in, but if he is the brother, it points to IOM as their home

I have found the following references on the London Gazette, you have already seen the 9 october 1917 one:

Awarded the Military Cross Supplement to the London Gazette 24 January 1917.

Temp. 2nd Lt. Alphonso Watson Henchy, R.Dub. Fus.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29916/supplements/927

Supplement to the London Gazette 9 October 1917

The under mentioned temp. 2/Lt. to be temp. Lts.

R. Dub. Fus.

A. W. Henchy, M.C. 18 Aug 1917

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/303...pplements/10389

Supplement to the London Gazette 28 October 1919

R. Dub. Fus.

Temp. Lt. A. W. Henchy, M.C relinquishes his commission on completion of service, 27 Sept. 1919, and retains the rank of Lt.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/316...pplements/13211

Supplement to the London Gazette 15 June 1920

GENERAL LIST.

The undermentioned relinquish their commns. on completion of service:

Lt. A. W. Henchy, M.C., late Serv. Bn., R. Dub. Fus., to be temp. Lt. for duty under

the D.G.R & E. 7th June 1920.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/319...upplements/6664

Regards

Steve

I have found only 2 Henchy officers in RDF

There was actually three, the third being Albert Francis Henchy, a Lieutenant in the 5th Battalion RDF. All three had service again sometime after the Great War as the Index to Officers' Long Number Papers shows them with the P/ prefixed personal numbers. However, the file that sotonmate pointed you to in post #2 is Alphonso's.

Checking the London Gazette for WW2 shows Alphonsus (he appears to have changed his name slightly) had later service.

Regards

Steve

There was actually three, the third being Albert Francis Henchy, a Lieutenant in the 5th Battalion RDF. All three had service again sometime after the Great War as the Index to Officers' Long Number Papers shows them with the P/ prefixed personal numbers. However, the file that sotonmate pointed you to in post #2 is Alphonso's.

Checking the London Gazette for WW2 shows Alphonsus (he appears to have changed his name slightly) had later service.

Regards

Steve

Thanks for the third brother. Amazing how one can find more and more from records.

I have found out the Dudley North Henchy, became a vicar in Lambeth by 1938 (I didn't really want to know, but it cropped up in the records!)

Supplement to the London Gazette 15 June 1920

GENERAL LIST.

The undermentioned relinquish their commns. on completion of service:

Lt. A. W. Henchy, M.C., late Serv. Bn., R. Dub. Fus., to be temp. Lt. for duty under

the D.G.R & E. 7th June 1920.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/319...upplements/6664

Steve,

Thanks, I'll have a go to see if I can get anything on his further service. And find out what "D.G.R & E" was!

I have found out the Dudley North Henchy, became a vicar in Lambeth by 1938 (I didn't really want to know, but it cropped up in the records!)

That explains his subsequent military service then.......

ROYAL ARMY CHAPLAINS' DEPARTMENT.

The Rev. Dudley North HENCHY, M.A., to be Chapln. to the Forces, 4th Cl. 31st Mar. 1937.

Steve

That explains his subsequent military service then.......

ROYAL ARMY CHAPLAINS' DEPARTMENT.

The Rev. Dudley North HENCHY, M.A., to be Chaplln. to the Forces, 4th Cl. 31st Mar. 1937.

Steve

With a name like "Dudley North Henchy" you cannot hide, particularly if you use the "North"

Dudley North Henchy, MA Trinity College Dublin, Vicar Emmanuel Parish, Ditin St, Lollard St, Lambeth SE11:residence 214 Kennington Rd, SE11. In Clerical Directory 1938

• 2 weeks later...

C

I have read the file for Alphonse Watson HENCHY and will provide some data from WO339/53757 on receipt of your e-mail by PM.

Sotonmate

Thanks very much, I have sent you my email by pm