Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Most amount of names on a town memorial

johnsammc

Hi all,

I was just wondering this as my home town of Coatbridge has 862 names from the Great War on the Memorial.I know the town was very industrial at this time but can any one tell me or give me a link as this must be a very high number for a town.I know theres a lot of names from the town that are not on it as well

John

Surely it will depend upon the size of the town. Almost 3,000 WW1 names are listed on the Northampton Borough Memorial, from a 1914 population of around 95,000.

Approx 2200 WW1 names on the main Stockport memorial (1911 population - 160K). Plus several other memorials in parts of the Borough that had not long been incorporated into the boundaries. Say 2500 in total.

Bootle Liverpool has about 1000 Great war names Birkenhead War Memorial in Hamilton Square and West Kirby both on the Wirral both have similar figures.

Maghull has 36

Bruce

Surely it will depend upon the size of the town. Almost 3,000 WW1 names are listed on the Northampton Borough Memorial, from a 1914 population of around 95,000.

Ive just found out the population in 1911 was around 43,000.I didnt think it was that high hence the original thread.Really hits home when you see the names.I was in Drogheda at the weekend and took some pics of the Memorial there.Having spent 11 years in Ireland ive found theres not much mention of these Memorials but thats probably for a different thread

John

Size isnt important, Bruce

Have you been talking to Ayesha?

:o

Bruce

Little Wittenham in Oxfordshire has just one name: Charles Green. He's remembered on the Thiepval memorial.

I wonder how many other small villages just have a single name on their memorial.

Eirian

Bristol doesn't have a main memorial, just loads of local ones dotted around our many churches. But at the last count there are at least 4600.

I was in Drogheda at the weekend and took some pics of the Memorial there.Having spent 11 years in Ireland ive found theres not much mention of these Memorials but thats probably for a different thread

John

Perhaps you haven't come across Irish War Memorials.

The war memorial in Drogheda is at Great War Memorial, Drogheda with a transcription. There are 368 names, including Francis Ledwidge, the poet, and James Emerson, V.C.

If you can add any memorials, from anywhere in Ireland, either side of the border, please do so!

Michael

Perhaps you haven't come across Irish War Memorials.

The war memorial in Drogheda is at Great War Memorial, Drogheda with a transcription. There are 368 names, including Francis Ledwidge, the poet, and James Emerson, V.C.

If you can add any memorials, from anywhere in Ireland, either side of the border, please do so!

Michael

Michael,

Great site.If i come across any Memorials on my travels ill add them.Incidentally i noticed it said "MADDEN BROTHERS SHEEPHOUSE"at the bottom of the Memorial.What does this mean?Did they pay for/erect the Memorial?

John

The best way surely, would be to work on a percentage basis? Numbers on memorial against the population according to 1911 census. That would give an equal measure regardless of the population size of the village/town/city.

Hi all,

I was just wondering this as my home town of Coatbridge has 862 names from the Great War on the Memorial.I know the town was very industrial at this time but can any one tell me or give me a link as this must be a very high number for a town.I know theres a lot of names from the town that are not on it as well

John

Accrington has 840 names, plus there are 89 names missing.

Smallest town in the country to raise a battalion.

Retlaw

Bristol doesn't have a main memorial, just loads of local ones dotted around our many churches. But at the last count there are at least 4600.

How about the Cenotaph in the centre? :innocent:

Michael,

Incidentally i noticed it said "MADDEN BROTHERS SHEEPHOUSE"at the bottom of the Memorial.What does this mean?Did they pay for/erect the Memorial?

John

I hadn't noticed that. It is probably the name of the company which built the memorial. Sheephouse is just to the west of Drogheda.

Michael

• 5 years later...

Plymouth Naval Memorial commemorates 7,251 sailors of the First World War and 15,933 of the Second World War.

post-100478-0-38242600-1425640044_thumb.

Ghazala: I think that's stretching it a bit.... surely that a Naval Base Memorial, for all those lost who were on the Plymouth books?

bit like claiming Runnymede Memorial casualties in WW2 were all from that Borough.....

Perhaps Kevin. However, the post title is 'Most amount of names on a Town Memorial'. I was just highlighting the amount of names on this impressive memorial.

• 7 years later...
On 06/10/2009 at 23:16, johnsammc said:

Michael,

Great site.If i come across any Memorials on my travels ill add them.Incidentally i noticed it said "MADDEN BROTHERS SHEEPHOUSE"at the bottom of the Memorial.What does this mean?Did they pay for/erect the Memorial?

John

Hi John,  The Madden Brothers (My Great Great Uncles) from Sheephouse, Co Meath designed and built the war memorial, with the base being constructed by Thomas Reid of Newtown Plattin, Co Meath.

"...The various works in connection with the Memorial had been in hands for some months past, and under the direction and guidance of Mr. Gerald Barrett, C.E., and Architect, Peter St., Drogheda, they have been efficiently carried out. The sculptor work is by Messrs. Madden Brothers, Sheephouse. The bronze plates etc., have been executed by Rooney Bros., College St., Dublin; and the ornate metal railings by Messrs. Farrell and Sons, Hayes, Beauparc, Co. Meath. Mr. Frank Watson was the general contractor."  Drogheda Independent, Saturday, November 14, 1925; Page: 3

Drogheda Independent 1884-current 14-11-1925.pdf