Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Lincolns 29 Sept 1918

jim_davies

My great-great uncle Clp George William Boyall was killed on the above date with the 1st Lincolns in the fighting around Gonnelieu.

I've come across a reference to a Capt H M Boxer of the same battalion being wounded and captured by the German forces defending Gonnelieu, early on the 29th. Apparently he was treated with "great kindness and consideration", with his wounds being dressed. When the Germans pulled back he was left with food and a note (presumably in English) pinned to the dug-out entrance that a wounded British officer was inside. Boxer was picked up by advancing troops and appears to have survived his wounds.

A small gesture of humanity and nobility in the mist of the war.

Anyone have any ideas what the German unit was ?

Jim

K W Mitchinson’s Battleground Europe book called Epehy (Hindenburg Line) has a couple of pages summarising the action at Gonnelieu on 28-30 Sept 1918. If you don’t have access to that I’d happily sent you a copy of the page next week. It also has a reference to the 1/Lincolnshire War Diary. I've just realised I totally failed to answer your actual question! Och well, somebody else will tell you who the Germans involved were!