Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres - Messines Ridge. Peter Oldham

Roger H

Can any pal let me know whether this book covers the Ploegsteert/Warneton area in July/August 1917? In particular I am interested in the New Zealand Division.

Roger

Cannot see anything and Plugstreet Wood is only mentioned in passing three times.

Troops would have gone through Plugstreet Wood towards the front line. It mentions the Aussies being held up there as does Pillars of Fire.

The NZ are mentioned in the Battle of Messines in the book.

Steve

Thanks for looking. I suspect that my interest shall get the better of me and I shall buy it anyway! :blush:

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
Steve

Thanks for looking. I suspect that my interest shall get the better of me and I shall buy it anyway! :blush:

Roger

Roger,

the book that Martin and I put together on the archaeology of the battle of Messines (Digging up Plugstreet - published this year by Haynes) looks at II Anzac, admitedly mainly Australian 3rd Div but does look at aspects of NZ training and their model of the Messines battle at Cannock. Also has a photo of NZ troops in it mis-captioned as Australians....:-( Msot of our work in Belgium has been just to the NE of Ploegsteert Wood and the work is in association with Comines-Warneton Historical Society.

hope this helps

Richard

Richard

Thanks. I shall have a look.

Roger

Robert

My Grandfather was in the 311th Army Field Artillery Brigade (see signature) and during the period 18 May 1917 to 29 August 1917 the Brigade was attached to the New Zealand Division. The war diary (of 311th Brigade) is pretty slim on details of action so I was trying to get a little bit more information on what was going on around the Ploegsteert/Warneton area because I know my Grandfathers battery was involved. He won his first MC on 5th June 1917 whilst helping extinguish a burning ammunition dump. From the internet I have managed to see extracts from "New Zealand Artillery in the Field" which mentions 311th Brigade and the incident of 5th June - but no mention of my Grandfather's name. he was a 2nd Lt. at the time but shortly afterwards promoted to Lt.

Roger

Thanks, Roger. My Grandfather was in the NZ Machine Gun Corps. Perhaps they met ;). Did you see everything in the extracts? I have the full version. I can check the NZ Division history as well, if you haven't seen this.

Robert

Robert

Thanks for the information. I found all the extracts from "New Zealand Artillery in the Field" relating to 311th Brigade (using the search engine) but I have not seen the Divisional History. A check for any reference during the relevant period would be much appreciated!

Roger

No problem. Presumably you have got hold of the 311th Brigade's War Diary. It sounded from your comments like one of the more sparse, in terms of information. From experience, it can be very worthwhile going to war diaries further up the chain of command. Do you know if the 311th was serving under a divisional or a non-divisional artillery group?

Robert

Robert

Many thanks for looking - much appreciated.

Roger

No problem. Presumably you have got hold of the 311th Brigade's War Diary. It sounded from your comments like one of the more sparse, in terms of information. From experience, it can be very worthwhile going to war diaries further up the chain of command. Do you know if the 311th was serving under a divisional or a non-divisional artillery group?

Robert

Robert

Yes, I have the 311th Brigade war diary for 1917, and as you say, it is rather sparse. When with the New Zealanders, the Brigade served under (I think) the NZ Divisional Group. On 22nd October 1917 the Brigade came under the command of the Canadian 4th Divisional Artillery. Fortunately their diaries are on line and can be downloaded free, gratis and for nothing!! The extra detail is fascinating and gives far more detail of what the artillery were doing - particularly interesting as the period covers their involvement in the Battle for Passchendaele - my Grandfathers Brigade were situated alongside the Ypres-Zonnebeke Road at the time.

Thanks for your interest and help.

Roger

When with the New Zealanders, the Brigade served under (I think) the NZ Divisional Group.
Roger, it would be worth chasing this avenue of research. In my experience, if you can get to the diaries higher up in the chain of command, then you may unearth some additional facts. I have seen reports on casualties and acts of bravery appear in artillery group diaries but not in the original unit diary.

Robert

Robert

Yes, I think I will go down that line. Thanks once again

Roger

I have photographed all the New Zealand Grave Markers for the New Zealand Army Museum, I have to photgraph 10 Panels around the Cross Of Sacrifice (the sun was too bright when I took the photographs) I will take the remainder when I'm out in November. Was there any particular names you are interested in?

John