Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Lynn Tank

centurion

There was a tank in St James Park Kings Lynn from the 1920s until sometime in WW2. A recent history of Norfolk parks states that the tank was left behind when the military relinquished using the park as a training ground and handed it back to its owners the Chattertons who gave the land to the council in 1922 complete with tank (for which the Chattertons provided a set of iron railings). I find this story slightly odd - were the army in the habit of leaving tanks just lying about the place? Or is this another presentation tank about which 'tales' have accreted? Any one from Norfolk (or indeed from anywhere else) out there who might know?

Centurion,

From my records I can say this tank was on the silver bullet list. It was a female training tank and I believe it to be number 284. From the pictures I have of it I can see it was positioned on a purpose built concrete pad. It had no railings around it at the time the photo I have of it was taken. This all leads me to suggest it was a presentation tank and what you have quoted is as you say "another presentation tank about which 'tales' have accreted" - that is unless someone knows better!

Tanks3

Thanks

The item was in an article by the Norfolk Gardens Trust and is as follows:

"The legacy of the use of St James Park by the military authorities during the First World War included a battle tank Rather than remove this the Chatterton's offered to fence it in; presumably as a memorial and the Borough subsequently planted shrubs around the fence The tank was featured in postcards of the gardens until the 1940's when it formed part of the 73 tons of ironwork donated to the war effort."