Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John William Spears and Jack Canavan snipers

TWORLEDGE

Agree with PB - Middlesex Regt.

Agree with PB - Middlesex Regt.

great. I can proceed with confidence. I can't make out much detail in the pix but I guess you guys know what to look for. He does hail from Pancras so I guess it's logical. Terry.

Strangely, John W. Spears' MIC doesn't appear on Ancestry.

Strangely, John W. Spears' MIC doesn't appear on Ancestry.

Matt,

Ancestry can't be relied on for MIC records. I'm a member for more general genealogy research but am often prompted by the Forum to do "military" searches (often without success). Like you I was frustrated in this case but IPT came to the rescue.

What of the other "sniper", Jack (John ?) Canavan; I can't find anything on him ?

Matt,

Ancestry can't be relied on for MIC records. I'm a member for more general genealogy research but am often prompted by the Forum to do "military" searches (often without success). Like you I was frustrated in this case but IPT came to the rescue.

Hear, hear!

I always search on both Ancestry and the NA and then cross-reference the two. The differences and gaps are often surprising. I very occasionally even find MICs present on Ancestry but not showing up via the NA Search Engine. They must be there somewhere, so I usually put this down to an indexing fault or a foible with the NA Search Engine - grrr!

Cheers,

Mark