Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

All Red Bombers Insignia

mark holden

I picked up an all Red Bombers Badge today Its constructed like my TM badge so pretty sure its WW1 its also removed from a tunic. Does the ' All Red Colour' denote anything special?

Thanks

Mark

only the date of issue!

from my notes:

1917 Royal Army Clothing Department : Scarlet, bombers. Blue, trench mortar . Balls flat without wooden mould, scarlet is all scarlet, in place of drab ball and scarlet flame.

I trust you have a flat ball, so to speak?

Thanks Grumpy and yes I have a flat ball!

only the date of issue!

from my notes:

1917 Royal Army Clothing Department : Scarlet, bombers. Blue, trench mortar . Balls flat without wooden mould, scarlet is all scarlet, in place of drab ball and scarlet flame.

I trust you have a flat ball, so to speak?

Looking Forward to it!

c'est la vie!

see, you did need my booklet

... and what does it mean if the ball has the wooden mould?

I picked a pair up in a box of odds and sods years ago and never really knew what they were.

They are on a drab backing so look to me if it may have come off a Service Dress type jacket

pre-1917 the grenade had a drab 'ball' built over a wooden half-ball, costly and time-consuming to manufacture. There is no official spec. that I have traced for the original badges, although there must be!

I have half-a -dozen all different, perhaps some were regimentally funded or private purchases from military tailors.

pre-1917 the grenade had a drab 'ball' built over a wooden half-ball, costly and time-consuming to manufacture. There is no official spec. that I have traced for the original badges, although there must be!

I have half-a -dozen all different, perhaps some were regimentally funded or private purchases from military tailors.

So, till proven otherwise, having the 'ball' in an all red grenade is fine for First War period ..... is that right?