Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Col GT Gregor VD

pw643

Name:GREGOR, GEORGE TREVORInitials:G TNationality:United KingdomRank:Lieutenant ColonelRegiment/Service:Royal Field ArtilleryUnit Text:1st Welsh How. Bde.Age:47Date of Death:01/07/1917Awards:V DAdditional information:Son of Joseph and Susan Gregor, of Swansea.Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:Plot 3. Row G. Grave 20.Cemetery:FERME-OLIVIER CEMETERY

Never heard of VD as an award, Is this a typo or something I have never come across

Regards

Paul

It's the Volunteer Officers Decoration. The holder was entitled to the post-nominal letters VD. It was introduced in 1892 "for long and meritorious service of Officers of proved capacity in Our Volunteer Forces in Great Britain ." It required 20 years service. It was introduced in India (18 years service), the Colonies and Bermuda in 1894. Each of these had a different style of title. It was later superseded by the Territorial Decoration.

TR

Volunteer Officer's Decoration

Instituted 25th July 1892

The basic qualification was 20yrs commissioned service in the Volunteer Force, a predecessor of the Territorial Force, non-commissioned service counting half. In the UK it was superseded by the Territorial Decoration on the formation of the TF in 1908.

Ken

[note to self - type faster!]

Considering the amazing prevalence of certain diseases within the licentious soldiery, it is surprising the decoration retained its name and post-nominals for as long as it did.

And, given that anyone, however exalted one might be, could catch a dose, did 'VD and bar' mean one of each, the decoration and the lurgi?

That's what I said! The link gives a touch more detail.

You did indeed, Chris. Sadly, it took me more than 4 minutes to check my facts before posting. It's an age thing. Had to hobble downstairs to the library* for my Medal Yearbook.

Ken

* "library" - room with a bookshelf at one end!

You are lucky: my library has a small desk at one end, otherwise it is the result of 50 years of fanatical military book collecting, pruned down to 1850 to 1920.

No wonder I struggle to find anything.

Like the desk ....................

Bookshelf..............Desk.........Library?

My books are kindly sorted by my wife and stored at random somewhere in her kingdom(queendom)

Paul

Attached is a scan of one of two pages from a book called "Liverpools Legion of Honour" which was published in 1893. The pages are headed "Holders of the Volunteer Decoration" and list all the holders of that decoration in the Liverpool area.

I strikes me that at that time, the award of the decoration must have been regarded as quite a distinction to list all the recipients in the book.

P.B.

post-63-1254688409.jpg

Just remembered this from "A Dictionary of Edwardian Biography- Liverpool" published 1911, a picture of Col.Joseph De Silva V.D.. ( I have his V.D. in my collection )

P.B.

post-63-1254689450.jpg

post-63-1254689380.jpg

Lt. Col. George Trevor Gregor, VD, RFA]

Educated at Wycliffe College from 1885-1887 (1st Crickett XI)

Senior partner in Gregor Brothers, timber merchants

In 1914 he was President of the Bristol Channel Timber Importers Association

Officer in the Welsh Garrison Artillery Volunteers (VD)

In 1912 became OC, 1st Glamorgan Battery, RGA

Transferred to the RFA in 1914 and went to France with the 1st Welsh Heavy Brigade, RFA

KIA in France on 1 July 1917 by a shell that fell on the Officers' Mess

Sources: Old Wycliffians 1882-1937; [iWycliffe and the War 1914-1918[/i].

Regards, Dick Flory

post-765-1254762412.jpg