Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

William Metcalf PACKER

grantowi

Hi Chaps,

William Metcalf Packer enlisted in the Wiltshires (8187) on 19 August 1908, the following year he transfered to the RFA (63648) and served in France.

He was discharged on 4/8/1915 with a heart condition "aggrivated by active service" and a GSW to his leg.

He then joined the GWR at Swindon as a Labourer

He re enlisted on 25/1/1917 with the RFA (9th reserve batt)

He then spent 72 days in Cardiff hospital (30/9/19 - 11/12/17) with Phitures (unsure of spelling)

Discharged on 11/12/1917 with Tuberculous of the lungs "attributed to exposure on active service"

He died in Swindon in 1919 (5A / 57 / 1st Qtr)

As his death was caused by conditions during his service should he not be classed for inculsion in CWGC

Cheers

Grant

Does the death cert give 'attributable'? I cannot find him in the WW1 deaths.

From the info, it does seem that he should be on the CWGC list.

Steve

Got that line from his papers on Ancesrty

Thats why I belive he should bo on CWGC

Grant

You need his death certificate as you do not know his cause of death. You know his cause of discharge but his death could have been due to falling down stairs.

Once you have confirmation with the certificate, a case can be made. At the moment there is only half the story.

Looks like they will have to wait for a bit, as I can't afford to get the DC's

Grant

• 4 months later...

Just got Mr Packers Death certificate and it states cause of death as "Pulmomary Tuberculosis", which Im guessing is the same thing as Tuberculous of the lungs, which is why he was dismissed from the RFA in 1917 (he died 10/03/1919)

Is this enough evidence for him to go forward as a non-comm ?

Grant

Grant

The link between discharge & death seems to have been made and I'd thought this is one well worth getting in front of CWGC/MoD.

The In From The Cold Project can submit on this your behalf if you don't want to do it yourself. Contact Terry and he'll get the wheels in motion.

John

John,

I take it that go's for Mr Pitt as well ?

Thanks to Hywyn post, Iv'e now got to find out where they were both buried.

Whats the procedure if, as they were buried as civillians, they share a grave plot / headstone with other members of their familys

As soon as I have found the plots, I'll give Terry a shout.

Grant

Grant

Yep, goes for Pitt as well. I'd get in touch with Terry now if I was you - might as well get things rolling while you look for the graves. Presuming they're accepted, once found the Commission will take over maintenance of the grave as a war grave. It wouldnt usually erect one of its own headtstones unless there was nothing there.

Of course, it you can't find a burial location, the Commission would commemorate at Brookwood.

John

Just got back from the burial records place - found both chaps resting places, hurrah

Their both buried in unpurchased plots, one with three family members and the other one with three strangers, which according to the record people proberly means a CWGC headstone is out of the question, but at least they can now go on the CWGC database and get the reconishion.

Field trip tomorrow to check out the plots - I'm getting there slowly :-)

Grant

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Bit late, missed Johns post.

William Metcalf Packer has now been added to the CGWC Roll of Honour and recognised for his sacrifice.

Many thanks to all who helped get him sorted

Again, suprised that CWGC didnt acknowledge that they had accepted him

Grant