Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Artillery Question

jasmor58

I have come across both 154 Siege Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery and 154 Heavy Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. Are they as I suspect, the same unit, or is there another answer?Appreciate any help on this.

Regards,

Jim Morrison.

Jim

They are both separate Batteries see Long Long Trail link and follow Royal Artillery and scroll down to both Siege and Heavy Batteries.

Regards

Paul

It is definitely 154th Siege Battery you should be researching.

Of the many service records I have looked at I have never seen why a gunner was awarded the MM. In the case of 144867 Hugh Graham it would be easy to speculate that it may have been because he was "wounded, remaining at duty" as noted in his records for 20-6-1918. He had already been gassed on 2-10-1917 while serving with 237th Siege Battery. You probably have it, but his Gazette entry is http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/309...pplements/12407 .

Kevin

The date of the incident was indeed the 20-6-1918, but it was a very hard won award for a gunner..!

In assisting the 11th Worcesters preparing a large raid on Manor Farm, whose CO requested help from 154 SB as it had previously been their old battery position. An officer from the battery not only assisted the infantry with details of the layout of old dugouts etc, but offered to lead them to their objective. He took with him 5 volunteers from the battery to act as additional guides, one of them being Gnr Graham.

Under the protection of a box barrage the battery party and five Officers and 200 Infantry OR’s set off on the raid.

Out of all these only Lieut Greene, the 154 Sge Bty Officer in charge and previously with 398 SB, and Gnr Graham and some dozen infantry men actually succeeded in reaching the objective, where they accounted for three Huns and brought back a forth alive. Both Lt Green and Gnr Graham were slightly wounded but did not have to go to hospital and the battery party acquitted themselves splendidly. Another Gunner, Gnr Hughes bayoneted a Hun, despite never having held a rifle before.

The kudos received by the battery was beyond all anticipation. All the five gunners received the MM, and Lt Greene the MC.

Congratulations to the battery came from the Div Commander 33 Div, and the B.G.C. H.A and II Corps Commander.

Rgds Paul

Source: History of 154 Sge Bty RGA (book)

Yes, Gunner Graham is the man in question. He was my father-in-law. However, it was not the 11th Worcesters who were attacking as stated ihn Walker's book. It was the 2nd Worcesters. The 11th spent the entire war in Mesapotania.I think this is a typographical error in the book ( Roman Numerals being mistaken for the 2nd.)Thanks Paul, I will follow the link.

thanks to all.

Jasmor58

Correction to my previous post. The 11th Worcesters spent the War in Macedonia and not Mesapotania as stated.Sorry about that!

Jasmor58