Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn. Welsh

jay dubaya

Hi folks,

does any one have a copy of the war diary or regimental history of the above? I have a casualty on the 22nd and 3 more on the 25th. Any help would be much appreciated,

cheers, Jon

Hi

Sorry I can't find any information about the 22nd.

However, the history gives some doings of the 2nd Battalion for the 25th which was the opening day of the Battle of Loos:

3.30am left Philosophe and marched to Vermelles, rain and some wind.

11am advanced to Le Rutoire Farm where many wounded and gassed were seen.

Ordered to support 2nd Munsters in an attack to the south of Hulluch.

Crossed Gun Trench and succeeded in attacking rear of enemy holding up the frontal attack. 165 German Officers and men captured.

One Company to the rear of Lone Tree Redoubt. This move enabled Colonel Green of the R Sussex, commanding the 1st London Scottish and 9th King's, to capture 400 men fo the 157th German Regiment

Welch eventually withdrawn to Alley 4 where they spent a miserable wet night

With reference to the 22nd, I've just read in the Scottish Rifles account of the Loos battle that units were required to make "demonstrations" between 21st and 25th. Perhaps your soldier was killed in German retaliation bombardments

Regards

Martin

Many thanks again Martin, the above tells me more than I already knew and especially the use of 'demonstrations' around the 22nd which could well explain my casualty of the 22nd who did actually survive although maimed I'm sure, his service papers are few and badly water damaged but we did manage to gather details of his wounding on this date.

cheers, Jon

From May 10th - Sept 24th they lost 1 officer 2nd Lieutenant A C V Miles and 14 ORs killed, 3 Officers 66 ORs wounded.

From the end of June they were holding trenches in the Vermelles area, it was considered a peaceful area!

"Except for aerial torpedoes, a new invention of the Germans, and for an occasional orgy of shelling (Battn HQ had 32 shells and 3 bombs in 3 consecutive days in Aug) it was a peaceful sector!!" :unsure:

post-46522-1254827926.jpg

Many thanks for that addition evolution, nice to see what they consider peaceful. Would you care to epand on 'aerial torpedoes'?

cheers, Jon

Many thanks for that addition evolution, nice to see what they consider peaceful. Would you care to epand on 'aerial torpedoes'?

cheers, Jon

I would expect that these were minenwerfer, morters that fired a rather large shell that could be seen in the air. :blink: At first I touht it was anuver case of my spelling, but no "aerial" is correct.

The info comes from the history of the Welch by Major-General Sir T O Marden, he should know he was there!

Looks like I need a copy of Marden's history,

cheers, Jon

The book only covers 1914-18, there is a earlier work with the history up to WW1, and also one after the War, but I believe this was written with someone else.