Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

32 casualty clearing station

jwp2007

Looking through my grandfathers medical records, he lost his right leg in shelling on 31/10/18 while serving with the 3rd london regt.(rf) the place of disability was given as Ypres, the war diary gives their location as bleharies in the wallone region of belgium.the family story was grandfather was caught in shellfire in a post between the lines, the war diary report for that day seems to bear the story out.

wondered if anyone could tell me the locations of the ccs on his records to help identify where he was.

from the records:

2/2 FA (field ambulance ?)

1st australian ccs

32 ccs

transfered AT (ambulance train ?)

83rd gen.hosp.Boulogne.

many thanks,

regards, John.

32 CCS Locations

St Venant Nov 15 - Feb 17

Warlencourt Feb 17 - Jul 17

Brandhoek Jul 17 - Nov 17

Elverdinghe Nov 17 - Jan 18

Marchelepot Jan 18 - Mar 18

Namps Mar 18 - Apr 18

Ste Anne Jun 18 - Jul 18

Elnes Jul 18 - Aug 18

Lozinghem Aug 18 - Nov 18

Don Nov 18 - Dec 18

Valencienne Dec 18 - Feb 19

Langenfeld Apr 19

Regards Mark

John

To pin it down a little further, 32 CCS was still at Lozinghem on the 20th October 1918, but by 2nd November was at Don, so had moved sometime during those few days.

Sue

Mark,Chris and Sue,

many thanks indeed for the most interesting information you have provided, just another query if i may,among grandfathers records is a hand written medical card which gives the following locations and dates:

1st australian ccs 31/10/18

32ccs 1/11/18 - 3/11/18

83rd gen.boulogne 4/11/18

there is also a typed up version of this card but with no mention of the 1st aus.ccs. one of the family stories was grandfather had his leg amputated close to the place of wounding by australian medical staff,this story may have got mixed up through the years !, as from the records he was operated on at the 1st australian gen.hosp. at Rouen on the 8th august 1918 after being badly wounded during the battle of Amiens. just wondered was the 1st aus.ccs operating in the Bleharies area oct-nov 1918.

once again many thanks for your help,much appreciated,

kind regards,

John.

The 1st Aust. CCS War Diary is on the Australian War Memorial site.

By October 31st they had just moved from Marquillies and were set up in Fretin 7 miles SE of Lille.

On November 2nd they mention starting to evacuate patients to 15th & 32nd CCS at Don about 10 miles away.

John

Was he injured on two separate occasions? I'm a bit muddled about how he was badly wounded/operated on in August 1918 in Rouen, and then wounded again at the end of October - what happened to him after the August wounding - the sequence of events? Or have I got my wires crossed?

Sue

John

Was he injured on two separate occasions? I'm a bit muddled about how he was badly wounded/operated on in August 1918 in Rouen, and then wounded again at the end of October - what happened to him after the August wounding - the sequence of events? Or have I got my wires crossed?

Sue

Hi Sue,

yes 1918 was not a good year for grandad !, he was wounded by shell fragments to the chest and gun shot wounds to his legs near to malard wood on 8/8/18, he was taken to 41 ccs and then to the 1st aus. hosp. at rouen on 9/8/18, on the 12/8/18 he was transfered to no. 74 gen. hosp. where he stayed untill 1/10/18 when he was moved to no.13 conv. depot. from here he was moved to Havre and discharged to duty on 17/10/18 , i assume he rejoined the 3rd londons at this date.

sorry for any confusion !!!

kind regards,

John.

The 1st Aust. CCS War Diary is on the Australian War Memorial site.

By October 31st they had just moved from Marquillies and were set up in Fretin 7 miles SE of Lille.

On November 2nd they mention starting to evacuate patients to 15th & 32nd CCS at Don about 10 miles away.

David,

many thanks for your reply, that makes sense of grandads story , I will check out the australian war memorial site,

many thanks, much appreciated,

regards,

John.

What a blow that he was in hospital for so long the first time without getting back to England. I think by that stage in the war everything was done to keep more men in France and hang on to them, rather than send them home and lose them. At least he had a few weeks by the sea in Trouville, but not quite the same!

Sue

Just to add to what Mark has given you John, and for general interest. Heres' a list of locations of Hospitals and Casualty Clearing Stations of the B.E.F during the Great War

http://www.vlib.us/medical/CCS/ccs.htm

Regards

Chris

:rolleyes: Thanks for posting this link Chris - it will be very useful in my research.

Cheers

Graham

Archived