Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pipers Memorial, Longueval

old-ted

For any Pals in the area today there is a meeting of pipers at the Longueval Pipers Memorial. 15.30 to 16.00 ceremony at the Pipers Memorial. 16.00 to 18.00 concerts by groups of pipers.

I'll take a few photos and post them later if anyone is interested.

Regards

John

Thanks John - look forward to the photographs.

Seeing my favourite Bar Tabac in the background makes me wish I was there

Roll on next year

Liam

I'll be there tomorrow! (smug smile!). My name for the bar/ tabac is the "Bonjour Bar", as everyone who comes in shakes your hand and says Bonjour, very friendly!!

Nice photos John, thanks for posting, first beers on me tomorrow......

regards

Tom

Hi Tom.

Asked the question and there is no problem ref the fishing rod arrangement in the garden!

Only you & me know what I'm talking about.

Regards

John

I'll be there tomorrow! (smug smile!). My name for the bar/ tabac is the "Bonjour Bar", as everyone who comes in shakes your hand and says Bonjour, very friendly!!

Nice photos John, thanks for posting, first beers on me tomorrow......

regards

Tom

They do don't they. Its a slice of life we rarely see in the UK

I had to laugh though last time I was there when one of the locals popped outside to have a smoke and bent down to tie his shoelace whilst resting his fag on the edge of one of the petrol pumps for 'safe keeping'

You've never seen three English tourists drink up their beer and jump in their car so quickly!

Priceless

Liam

There's something about them pipe's, more so when heard any where on the western front. If you visit an area, and you dont know there is going to be one there, it makes it even more special when they start to play, if you know what I mean. We visited the pool of peace during last years 90th, and there were 2 Indian Grenadiers there who played a lament, got them on film need to work out how to get them as a photo. Ok done it

post-46522-1254831855.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Great to see a bit of activity around the square! just like the old days.Always so quite now when i drive bye and with the cafe sometimes closed.The beer in the cafe was always spot on.

I must be one of the few who actually quite like the pipers monument,probobly more of us out there somewhere i bet.I have great memories of the unveiling ceremony,what a day and the sun shone.

Bob taking withdrawel symptoms.

• 1 year later...

Stood any soldier model for this Pipers Memorial at Longueval ?

If one did then I'd be surprised if they owned up to it :lol:

Tom

I love the memorial and am very sad to have missed the pipers. I was there 10 days ago and all was very quiet!

Chris

If one did then I'd be surprised if they owned up to it :lol:

Tom

Spot on Tom.

LIke it Tom, not one of my favourites!

:thumbsup:

Tony

.. not one of my favourites!

:thumbsup:

Tony

I have a serious issue with the Pipier Memorial. On the one hand I can nearly convince myself that the intentions may have been good; but on the other I see it as a deliberate micky-take against the Scots, or soldiers in general. How anybody could ever think it was in an way a "handsome" sculpture I do not know. Anotomically its a joke - scale wise it has fingers a foot long, and a head and face staight off a CBeebies cartoon.

On the bright side, that road junction is a likely spot for a truck crash.

Tom

MODERATORS:

WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY DONE THIS SUBJECT TO DEATH !

EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN OPINION BUT PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LET US HAVE PAGES AND PAGES OF DIATRIBE AD NAUSEAM

MODERATORS:WE HAVE PREVIOUSLY DONE THIS SUBJECT TO DEATH ! EVERYBODY HAS A RIGHT TO THEIR OWN OPINION BUT PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT LET US HAVE PAGES AND PAGES OF DIATRIBE AD NAUSEAM

Thank you for allowing me to express an opinion about that minor edifice, but I’m afraid that the only way you are ever going to be able to impose your desire to suppress comment about such a monstrosity is by knocking it down and replacing it with something which has some artistic merit.

Tom

Tom

You are a fine chap but it seems to be your perpetual mission in life to rubbish this memorial, you have given your opinion a million times.

I have neither allowed nor disallowed you to express an opinion. That is everybody's right in a free country so save the sarcasm and get a life.

I won't give you the satisfaction of prolonging the argument and trading insults, stick and stones etc.

MODERATORS; IT'S HAPPENING...................

Hans has revived this thread to pose a question.

Can anyone provide an answer please?

Might it have been fashioned from photographs? Who is the sculptor?

.... it seems to be your perpetual mission in life to rubbish this memorial, you have given your opinion a million times. ...

Im afraid that both of those statements seek to aggrandise the Longueval edifice way beyond anything which may be justified.

My grandfather, a Highlander, spent a considerable part of 1916-17 on this part of the Somme, with the regiment who wore the Cameron of Erracht tartan (1st Division though, not 9th). As his descendant, and a Scot, I feel quite qualified to comment on this monstrosity whenever the occasion demands or invites. Dont draw attention to it and I wont comment on it being drawn attention to. Alternatively, replace it with something with some artistic merit, which does not ridicule the Scottish Soldier, and the problem is permanently resolved.

I do, by the way, have no problem with the sculptor. What I cannot understand is how some sponsor(s) could have looked at the maquette and issued instructions to spend (apparently) £35k turning it into what exists today.

Tom

I’m afraid that both of those statements seek to aggrandise the Longueval edifice way beyond anything which may be justified.

My grandfather, a Highlander, spent a considerable part of 1916-17 on this part of the Somme, with the regiment who wore the Cameron of Erracht tartan (1st Division though, not 9th). As his descendant, and a Scot, I feel quite qualified to comment on this monstrosity whenever the occasion demands or invites. Don’t draw attention to it and I wont comment on it being drawn attention to. Alternatively, replace it with something with some artistic merit, which does not ridicule the Scottish Soldier, and the problem is permanently resolved.

I do, by the way, have no problem with the sculptor. What I cannot understand is how some sponsor(s) could have looked at the maquette and issued instructions to spend (apparently) £35k turning it into what exists today.

Tom

Tom, for ridiculing the Scottish soldier, the dummy in Sanctuary Wood museum takes some beating, it is more like something you find supported by a pole in the middle of a farmers field than a brave Scot in uniform.

p.s.

I also have to avert my eyes when ever I pass the statue in longueval mate....

regards

Tom