Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Connaught Rangers

P. J. Clarke

Bill,

Valentine is not with the Dillons in 1901. They are recorded as -

Rockfield Kilcolman Clanmorris Mayo Household

Dillon John(45) farmer Mary(32) wife-Luke(4)-Thomas(1)-John(6mo.)-Pat Kilroy(16) farm servant-Ellie Kilroy(14) servant

The Delaney's (spelt Delany) -

Ballynastockagh Annagh Costello Mayo Household

Delany John(35) teacher Julia(34)-John J.(6)-Patrick M.(5)-Luke(4)-Valentine(3)-Thomas(2)-Sarah(9mo.)-Catherine Morley(50) servant/not married/born Co. Galway

John

Bill,

Valentine is not with the Dillons in 1901. They are recorded as -

Rockfield Kilcolman Clanmorris Mayo Household

Dillon John(45) farmer Mary(32) wife-Luke(4)-Thomas(1)-John(6mo.)-Pat Kilroy(16) farm servant-Ellie Kilroy(14) servant

The Delaney's (spelt Delany) -

Ballynastockagh Annagh Costello Mayo Household

Delany John(35) teacher Julia(34)-John J.(6)-Patrick M.(5)-Luke(4)-Valentine(3)-Thomas(2)-Sarah(9mo.)-Catherine Morley(50) servant/not married/born Co. Galway

John

John,

I'm indebted to you. My father, Valentine, isn't with the Dillon's in 1901 because his mother and father are still alive. But by 1911, both parents have died and the children sent to live with different relatives. One of the children, Luke, was sent to a "home" in Galway and died there. My cousin, Maureen Moylan

(Delaney) has been trying to find where he is burried, but no luck. John, do you have a link to where you got the 1901 information?

I have my father's death sentence document from his court marshal in Dagshai. After Daly's execution for the mutiny, the other 13 had their sentences commuted and then the English tried to get the original documents back. My father folded his up and sewed it inside his brown scapular of the Sacred Heart

which he wore around his neck.

Best regards,

Bill

Guest tinydoll22

HELLO. I AM THE GRAND DAUGHTER OF THE LATE JAMES JOESPH DEVERS HE WAS IN THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS 1920.

MY GRANDFATHER WAS FROM BALLINA MAYO. HE WAS MARRIED TO MARY. PLEASE IF ANYONE HAS ANY INFORMATION ON HIM CONTACT ME.

KIND REGARDS PAULA

Hello Paula,

Welcome to the forum. You are more likely to make progress with your search for James Devers if you start a new thread, just on him. Unless, that is, he was one of the mutineers, which is what the starter of this thread is trying to name.

Requests in the forum are easier for all to read if they are in normal lettering, and not all capitals. It is just the etiquette of writing forum posts.

If James Devers was one of the mutineers, then add to this thread all you know about him. Otherwise scrub what you have written here, you can edit your own posts, and start that new thread.

Afraid I cannot help you with Connaught Rangers (more of a Dublin Fusiliers man myself) but there are several keen followers of CRs here.

I see that "Mad Paddy" in post 9 of this thread says

"I am a Devers. My mother is Kathleen Devers from Ballina. James Devers from the Mutiny was from Ballina. I am almost certain he is related to myself. Finding out where and how is the problem. I heard from my cousin in mayo that my great grand father had 21 children..all Devers. "

Is this the same man, and if so, it is worth you while contacting "Mad Paddy"

And the original poster P J Clarke said in his first post "Ballina soldiers -- James Joseph Devers (No. 32609).."

So is it the same man?

Paula,

Welcome to the forum.

Private James Joseph Devers is mentioned a number of times in this topic -

the number quoted and printed in T. P. Kilfeather's book, "The Connaught Rangers", 32609 is incorrect, his number was 32328.

His records might be with the MoD -

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDef...cePersonnel.htm

He didn't have Great War service with the Connaught Rangers but there is one Medal Index Card match -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Do you know if he served in the Great War?

As Corisande said the more information you can give us the better.

John

• 3 months later...
Guest AlanStanier
Can't help there, but my personal hero arrested them.

Captain & Brevet Lt-Col William Henry Stanway DSO MC, ex CSM of 2nd battalion RWF in the Great War, subsequently an OBE.

By virtue of his brevet, he commanded the mixed force sent to put down the mutiny and arrest the mutineers. Knowing his martial reputation and his concept of a soldier's honour, they were rather lucky not to be mown down en masse.

I assume your reference book has his details etc?

Can you say why he is your personal hero?

• 2 months later...

Hello. I've been trying to contact Archange19 name John. I've seen your emails about my grandfather James J. Devers his wife's name was Mary Devers. John I've got lots of info on my grandfather James Devers who was in the connauht rangers 1920 he joined up in 1918. if you do get to read this note john you can contact me on this address [email="november2256 AT yahoo.com" I would be interested in chatting with you. sorry I never got back to you until now but this great war forum page will not work right for me.I've even got pictures of my grandparents. so to let me know its you I'm talking to you know my grandfather's bage number just repeat it to me in an email. the reason for this is I don't want someone emailing who knows notting about my grandfather. i do hope this reaches you . paula granddaughter of the late James J. Devers.

Mary,

Try entering the name Devers into the search box top right of page. His name occurs in nine threads on the Forum.

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE (P. J. Clarke @ Oct 3 2009, 01:13 AM) These men in the Connaught Rangers had put their lives on the line for the army to which they signed up, and the punishment that they got for this "skirmish" was above and way beyond the boundaries of humankind. About your personal hero: Was he awarded the DSO for nearly massacreing unarmed men? Poor fellow, he nearly brought the whole British army to round up a couple of hundred Irish lads (and a few Englishmen) who were sitting around the camp having a sing-song! I think you should align yourself with an Irishman called Major R. L. "Johnny" Payne, from Cork, who nearly mowed down the Connaughts, only for the intervention of a Catholic priest, Fr. Levin, and the arrival of a Colonel Jackson, who told Payne: "Who gave you orders to do this. Get out of here and take those men (South Wales Borderers) with you." About your hero's concept of a soldier's honour: "I wonder did he investigate why the Connaughts acted the way they did and for what reason, and did he investigate the murderous brutality that the Black and Tans vented on the people in Ireland. I think not.

Hallo P.J. biggrin.gif

obviously the Connaught Rangers is a subject close to your heart, but, in all fairness, your referenced "skirmish" was a

mutiny, under the Queens Regulations in the British Army of the day,

(as there was no soldiers representative body, then as the Irish Army and other modern

Army of today have, also in matters of politic and foreign policy, soldiers of any country still have very little say,

they are paid to perform as directed.)

From my memory of reading the book by T.P. Kilfeather,

the one man who paid the ultimate price, for his transgression was sentenced to death when

along with fellow comrades at Solan on the Kalka-Simla railway (Punjab) where two Connaught Ranger emissaries were

subsequently arrested, and whereupon a small number of the Connaught Rangers tried to rush the armoury,

during the attempt he shouted out his name and the words, "you will remember me!"

These men in the Connaught's, had signed up for service in the British Army,

and ultimately were giving their allegiance to the Queen, it was not their job to play politics.

And as for nearly mowing down the Connaught's, is not quite the same as, mowing down the Connaught's.

Nor was it Major R. L. "Johnny" Payne's job to investigate what was done by the Black and Tans.

Nobody here is disputing the fact that terrible things were done in Ireland in the past, by all sides involved.

Connaught Stranger.

hello John.. this is paula the grand daughter of james j. Devers.sorry I have not been able to reply to you. been having trouble with this great war forum page so had to set up a new one. hope it works from now on. if not you can always contact me on my yahoo address which is november2256@yahoo.com would like to chat with you about the connaught rangers mutiny in india 1920. i've got notes in my care about the connaught rangers mutiny,it was a Priest who was their. so I would like to share this with you. this priest was going to write a book about what he had seen whlie in india he even witness the excutes of the late James Daly. that if you are interested in talking to me. here is some you can read that I have in my hands...

Connaught Rangers Mutiny in India 1920

The Connaught Rangers mutinied because of the atrocities committed by the Black and Tans in Ireland. There are plenty of good websites and books detailing the circumstances of the mutiny so I will not go into the details of the event.

Listed below are the names and regimental numbers of the Connaught Rangers, which were given in the schedule attached to the authorization to try them for mutiny by court-martial. Only one soldier was executed. Private James Joseph Daly, 22 years old, of the 1st Battalion The Connaught Rangers, regimental number 35025 and he was a native of Tyrrellspass County Westmeath Ireland.

The execution was ordered, after court-martial by Major-General Sir G. de S. Barrow, K.C.B., K.C.M.G., of Northern Command of the British Army in India. The execution took place at 6am on the morning of 2nd of November 1920.

The list of names below contains two or more Regimental numbers for each soldier. The numbers in brackets are the numbers given in the schedule attached to the authorization to try them for mutiny. The other Regimental numbers are those on the soldiers Medal Index Card (MIC). The reason for including both sets of numbers for each soldier is that in a letter confessing to being the mutiny leader James Joseph Daly gives his regimental number as 35025, his number on his MIC is given as 7144396.

The Dial (Irish Parliament) passed the Connaught Rangers (Pensions) Act in 1936. It provided for the payment of pensions, allowances, and gratuities to or in respect of certain former members of the 1st Battalion, the Connaught Rangers. The effect was to give the Mutineers parity of esteem with veterans of the Irish War of Independence.

The mutiny began on the 28th of June 1920 when 5 men of C Company 1st Battalion The Connaught Rangers refused to obey orders. The Union Flag at Jullundur on the North-West Frontier was replaced with the Irish tricolour. The mutiny was over within three days and the mutineers imprisoned at Dagshai. Rumours spread through the Connaught Rangers detachment stationed at Solan. 70 Connaught Rangers, lead by James Daly, attacked the armoury and two soldiers were killed. The two soldiers killed were :

32781 Pte Peter Sears Son of Peter Sears of The Neale, Co Mayo, Ireland.

10079 Patrick Smyth from Drogheda

I would like to thank John Doyle for, A: pointing out the difference in regimental numbers which may have caused confusion for anyone using the site for research and B: for his kind assistance in providing MIC details. I will try to update the list with any information as I get it, if you do have any more information relating to the regimental numbers please let me know, if possible please include a reference to where the information came from.

Ranks are abbreviated to:

Lance-Corporal

Corporal

Sergeant

anyway I hope to hear from you. paula

QUOTE (P. J. Clarke @ Oct 3 2009, 01:13 AM) These men in the Connaught Rangers had put their lives on the line for the army to which they signed up, and the punishment that they got for this "skirmish" was above and way beyond the boundaries of humankind. About your personal hero: Was he awarded the DSO for nearly massacreing unarmed men? Poor fellow, he nearly brought the whole British army to round up a couple of hundred Irish lads (and a few Englishmen) who were sitting around the camp having a sing-song! I think you should align yourself with an Irishman called Major R. L. "Johnny" Payne, from Cork, who nearly mowed down the Connaughts, only for the intervention of a Catholic priest, Fr. Levin, and the arrival of a Colonel Jackson, who told Payne: "Who gave you orders to do this. Get out of here and take those men (South Wales Borderers) with you." About your hero's concept of a soldier's honour: "I wonder did he investigate why the Connaughts acted the way they did and for what reason, and did he investigate the murderous brutality that the Black and Tans vented on the people in Ireland. I think not.

Hallo P.J. biggrin.gif

obviously the Connaught Rangers is a subject close to your heart, but, in all fairness, your referenced "skirmish" was a

mutiny, under the Queens Regulations in the British Army of the day,

(as there was no soldiers representative body, then as the Irish Army and other modern

Army of today have, also in matters of politic and foreign policy, soldiers of any country still have very little say,

they are paid to perform as directed.)

From my memory of reading the book by T.P. Kilfeather,

the one man who paid the ultimate price, for his transgression was sentenced to death when

along with fellow comrades at Solan on the Kalka-Simla railway (Punjab) where two Connaught Ranger emissaries were

subsequently arrested, and whereupon a small number of the Connaught Rangers tried to rush the armoury,

during the attempt he shouted out his name and the words, "you will remember me!"

These men in the Connaught's, had signed up for service in the British Army,

and ultimately were giving their allegiance to the Queen, it was not their job to play politics.

And as for nearly mowing down the Connaught's, is not quite the same as, mowing down the Connaught's.

Nor was it Major R. L. "Johnny" Payne's job to investigate what was done by the Black and Tans.

Nobody here is disputing the fact that terrible things were done in Ireland in the past, by all sides involved.

Connaught Stranger.

Hi my informative ones: I have a list of names and numbers, from T. P. Kilfeather's book, "The Connaught Rangers" but no addresses of those Connaught Rangers who mutined in India. Where they were imprisoned, and released from, English jails. I know of 29 names (again no addresses) who were released from Maidstone and one from Parkhurst in January, 1923. That leaves thirty-nine. This is the only list I have found. I had two Ballina soldiers -- James Joseph Devers (No. 32609), Patrick Joseph Mangan (no. 35250) -- and now Valentine Delaney (no. 35200), whom I've just discovered in a write-up of the Mutiny in a local Mayo paper in 1934 which said he was from Ballina, Co. Mayo. I doubt this. I can find no trace of him in the census of 1901 or 1911 in Ballina. He was married to Eugene Egan's sister from Claremorris, Co. Mayo . Eugene (no. 32295) was also sentenced to death for his part in the Mutiny. Delany had emigrated to America by 1934. Can anybody shed any light on him? Also I have found in another write-up that Patrick Mangan was the last the mutineers to die. Kindest regards.

HELLO PJ. LET ME TELL YOU WHO I AM, I AM THE GRAND DAUGHTER OF THE LATE JAMES J. DEVERS WHO WAS ONE OF THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS MUTINY INDIA 1920 THE NUMBER YOU HAVE FOR MY GRANDFATHER IS WRONG IT IS 32328 WAS HIS NUMBER I AM GOING TO ADDON HERE FOR YOU TO READ THE INFORMATION I'VE RECIEVED FROM PARKHURST PRISON MY GRANDFATHER WAS BORN IN 1899 AND JOINED UP IN THE ARMY IN 1918.......

I AM VERY PROUD OF MY GRANDFATHER JAMES J. DEVERS AND HIS WIFE MARY CANAVAN MY GRANDMOTHER. I ALSO HAVE THE FULL LIST OF ALL THE MEN WHO WERE MY GRANDFATHER'S COMRADES EVEN TO THEY NUMBERS.... HERE THE INFO......

Private James Joseph Devers Badge Number 32328. James apperears in the Parkhurst register on the 11-May-1922, he had been convicted on the 4th of September 1920 at G. C. M. Dagshaj for joining in the Mutiny. The sentence was life in prison but was commuted to 20yrs Penal servitude, James had come from Maidstone C. Prison and was released on the 6th January 1923 to Ballina Ireland, by a coincidence we also have the Maidstone Goal register because at a later date it appears to have been used by a prison on the Isle of Wight all this confirms is that the prisoners came to Maidstone Goal from Portland prison on the 15th -May- 1921 and was transferred to Parkhurst on the 10th -May-1922. A large number of the mutineers who were still in Goal in Maidstone, in 1923 had their senences remitted on the 4th -January. Home office order H.O.O. 17236/355B

ALSO MY GRANDFATHER TOLD HIS STORY TO THE PAPER'S HERE'S A COPY OF IT. KIND REGARDS AND BEST WISHES. PAULA

Publication; Sunday Independent 1906 Date Nov 27th 1955 section: none; page number 9.

-------------------------------------------------

The heat haze shimmered over the wooden huts of the military barracks the overlooked the village high in the Simla hills of India. The sun-baked parade ground was deserted. This was the time of day when no European with any sense would walk in the sun even in the cooler heights of the hills. It was also the time when the 1st Battalion of the Connaught reangers mutinied and thereby walked into the pages of history. The year was 1920. The co naught rangers had a history that reached back to 1793 and had fought for many British kings In that month of June 25 years ago an Irish regiment of the British army decided that no longer would they serve. For weeks the mail-carts had brought letters to the khaki-uniformed men telling them of events in Ireland In the simple language of letters from home the co naught rangers learned of the black and tan reign of terror in the land they had left. There were stories of relatives shot or imprisoned stories of homes of neighbors burned and looted. It was time,thought 750 men of the co naught rangers, that action should be taken.Aman who was there tells this story. He is Mr. James J. Devers, a Ballina man who now lives at 8 Moycullen Rd. upper Ballfermot, in Dublin, and who joined the rangers in April 1918. When he was 19 years of age.

Private James Joseph Devers Badge Number 32328. James apperears in the Parkhurst register on the 11-May-1922, he had been convicted on the 4th of September 1920 at G. C. M. Dagshaj for joining in the Mutiny. The sentence was life in prison but was commuted to 20yrs Penal servitude, James had come from Maidstone C. Prison and was released on the 6th January 1923 to Ballina Ireland, by a coincidence we also have the Maidstone Goal register because at a later date it appears to have been used by a prison on the Isle of Wight all this confirms is that the prisoners came to Maidstone Goal from Portland prison on the 15th -May- 1921 and was transferred to Parkhurst on the 10th -May-1922. A large number of the mutineers who were still in Goal in Maidstone, in 1923 had their senences remitted on the 4th -January. Home office order H.O.O. 17236/355B

Publication; Sunday Independent 1906 Date Nov 27th 1955 section: none; page number 9.

-------------------------------------------------

The heat haze shimmered over the wooden huts of the military barracks the overlooked the village high in the Simla hills of India. The sun-baked parade ground was deserted. This was the time of day when no European with any sense would walk in the sun even in the cooler heights of the hills. It was also the time when the 1st Battalion of the Connaught reangers mutinied and thereby walked into the pages of history. The year was 1920. The co naught rangers had a history that reached back to 1793 and had fought for many British kings In that month of June 25 years ago an Irish regiment of the British army decided that no longer would they serve. For weeks the mail-carts had brought letters to the khaki-uniformed men telling them of events in Ireland In the simple language of letters from home the co naught rangers learned of the black and tan reign of terror in the land they had left. There were stories of relatives shot or imprisoned stories of homes of neighbors burned and looted. It was time,thought 750 men of the co naught rangers, that action should be taken.Aman who was there tells this story. He is Mr. James J. Devers, a Ballina man who now lives at 8 Moycullen Rd. upper Ballfermot, in Dublin, and who joined the rangers in April 1918. When he was 19 years of age.

Hi all here is the memorial in Glasnevin it may help i took a photo of it because of the names that were listed.This may be of interest

regards Martin

post-12731-043741500 1284617999.jpg

This is the back of the same memorial

regards Martin

Hi all here is the memorial in Glasnevin it may help i took a photo of it because of the names that were listed.This may be of interest

regards Martin

post-12731-025596300 1284620187.jpg

Hello. I've been trying to contact Archange19 name John. I've seen your emails about my grandfather James J. Devers his wife's name was Mary Devers. John I've got lots of info on my grandfather James Devers who was in the connauht rangers 1920 he joined up in 1918. if you do get to read this note john you can contact me on this address [email="november2256 AT yahoo.com"

Hi Paula,

I've only just seen your post now. I've sent you an email a few minutes ago.

John

Hi my informative ones: I have a list of names and numbers, from T. P. Kilfeather's book, "The Connaught Rangers" but no addresses of those Connaught Rangers who mutined in India. Where they were imprisoned, and released from, English jails. I know of 29 names (again no addresses) who were released from Maidstone and one from Parkhurst in January, 1923. That leaves thirty-nine. This is the only list I have found. I had two Ballina soldiers -- James Joseph Devers (No. 32609), Patrick Joseph Mangan (no. 35250) -- and now Valentine Delaney (no. 35200), whom I've just discovered in a write-up of the Mutiny in a local Mayo paper in 1934 which said he was from Ballina, Co. Mayo. I doubt this. I can find no trace of him in the census of 1901 or 1911 in Ballina. He was married to Eugene Egan's sister from Claremorris, Co. Mayo . Eugene (no. 32295) was also sentenced to death for his part in the Mutiny. Delany had emigrated to America by 1934. Can anybody shed any light on him? Also I have found in another write-up that Patrick Mangan was the last the mutineers to die. Kindest regards.

HI PJ PAULA HERE I HAVE ALL THE INFO ON WHAT PRISON THE CONNUAGHT RANGERS WERE IN MY GRANDFATHER JAMES J. DEVERS.

THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER I RECEIVED FROM PARKHURST PRISON ENGLAND...

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your email.

James Joseph Devers appears in the Parkhurst register on the 11th May 1922. He had been convicted on the 4th September 1920 at G.C.M.Dagshai for joining in a mutiny. The sentence was life commuted to 20 years penal servitude. He had come from Maidstone C prison and was released on 6th January 1923 to Ballina (?).

By a coincidence we also have the Maidstone gaol register because at a later date it appears to have been used by a prison on the Isle of Wight. All this confirms is that the prisoners came to Maidstone gaol from Portland Prison on the 15th May 1921, and was transferred to Parkhurst on the 10 May 1922. A large number of the mutineers who were still in gaol in Maidstone in 1923 had their sentences remitted on the 4th January Home Office Order H.O.O.17236/355B dated 3/1/23

I hope that this information will be of some use to you.

Yours sincerely

Richard Smout

Archivist

ALSO PJ HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GRANDFAHTER AND HIS COMMARDES..

IN the history of the British armed forces, two mutinies took place. One was the famous naval mutiny, well known as the Mutiny on the Bounty, and the second but lesser known was the mutiny by an Irish regiment in India shortly after World War I in the summer of 1920. This mutiny, which lasted for a month, had its roots in the political struggle of the Irish people.

The rebellion or mutiny by the famous Connaught Rangers, running parallel to the Irish freedom movement under De Valera, was considerably influenced by the Indian struggle for Independence. Nearly a thousand Irish men who rebelled had no real reason for that action except their deep love for their motherland and passionate patriotism. They strongly felt that British colonial rule was perpetrating grave injustice by crushing their countrymen. Hearing of the ugly happenings in Ireland, where the Britishers were hunting down, torturing and executing freedom fighters, the Irish soldiers inwardly simmered.

The British ensured that the newspapers in India did not cover Irish incidents, but news of the cruel and inhuman measures taken by Britishers against the Irish occasionally filtered into the barracks of the Connaught Rangers in Jalandhar cantonment where they were stationed. During that turbulent period of Irish history, many pitched battles were being fought between the Irish Republic Army — the Sinn Fein — and the British security force — Black and Tans. The news of these battles reached Irish soldiers, thousands of miles away in India where a similar wind was blowing.

The fuse blew when one of the Rangers got the shocking news that his brother in Ireland was hanged by the Crown for giving shelter to rebels. He went berserk and beat up an English officer. This set off a chain reaction. The soldiers captured the armoury, took English officers as hostages, declared Jalandhar cantonment as the seat of the ‘free Irish Government-in-exile’ in hardly two days. Caught unawares, the British Government in India was shaken to the core.

The Irish soldiers in India were not fighting for a piece of territory, but for a fundamental principle. Therefore, when they felt confident that they were the masters of Jalandhar cantonment, they started negotiations for the freedom of Ireland in lieu of returning the hostages, releasing the armoury and returning the territory of the cantonment. How could the British pay heed to such nonsense? To them it was tantamount to an act of mutiny, but to the Irish soldiers it was a "protest" against the Crown’s cruelty and breach of the repeated promise of giving Ireland its freedom.

In the barracks, a lot of argument and heated discussion went on to decide the next course of action. One of the major groups was for capturing more territory and strengthening their positions so that the British could be taught a lesson and the world would know of their plight and Ireland’s struggle for freedom. Some level-headed men, however, argued that as violence would be self-defeating, the only way to tackle the British would be through negotiations. The most vocal of this group was one Jim Daley.

He pointed out to his enraged comrades that as long as they did not take to arms, it would not amount to a mutiny, but would be a "sit-down protest" to express their concern for the motherland. Eventually, they wrote a long petition to the King and ceremoniously handed it over to British officers. But no reply ever came. The King obviously never received it!

The British authorities and the top military brass, though caught unawares, reacted fast. They quickly moved eight White regiments from Amritsar, Ambala, Lahore and Simla cantonments and surrounded the Jalandhar cantonment with a tight ring of tanks, guns and infantry. Having cordoned the Irish, they cut off the supplies of food and provisions and finally switched off the water mains also. From a position of strength, the British now asked for a peaceful surrender by the ‘mutineers’. The Irish however, had enough provisions and water from one or two wells inside their ‘territory’ to withstand the siege. Thus, for a while, it was checkmate. In the meantime, all the Indian regiments were moved away from Jalandhar. A tight censorship was clamped with the excuse that some secret war exercise was being conducted in the area. Thus, neither the Indians nor the outside world knew of the high-tension drama taking place in the heart of India.

Having taken all security precautions and after tightening their grip, the British sent a deputation to demand an unconditional surrender. The team was flabbergasted by what they saw when they reached near the regimental barracks. The scenario that greeted them was one of total abandon and gaiety. The Irish tricolour flew majestically not only on the tall flag mast of the regimental quarter guard but atop every single barrack. Most of the Irish soldiers were singing patriotic ballads in the barracks while some danced to Irish jigs instead of listening to the British delegation.

This act of defiance and rowdy behaviour angered the British but they felt that attacking the Irish would be politically suicidal. What would the world say to white men killing white men on Indian soil where the situation was already explosive! It would not only tarnish the British image all over the world but also ignite innumerable political fuses. Thus, having an upper hand, they preferred to wait.

It was almost two weeks after the outbreak of this mutiny, which began in mid-June 1920, that the Rangers had their first casualty. A young soldier died of malaria. The heat of the Punjab plains, dwindling food stores, shortage of drinking water, lack of sanitation and on top of it the scourge of malaria.... all of it started to weaken the iron will of the dauntless Irish. The regiment broke up into various groups, each with different ideas and desperate plans. The British mounted their pressure for surrender, but the Irish did not budge. They firmly and resolutely stood together on the assumption that with courage they could win.

The drama of uncertainty, heightened tension, arguments, frayed tempers, boozing and brawls went on. It was only the logic and convincing arguments of Jim Daley and his group which kept a lid on the boiling situation, but even they could not keep everyone pacified. As soldiers by training and temperament believe in instinctive action, some of them blew up a part of the armoury hoping that it would attract the attention of the world. The British were, however, wily enough to cover it up as an unfortunate accident during the war games. The whole matter was thus hushed up and again no one knew the exact nature of the happenings in Jalandhar.

After this incident, Daley ran from barrack to barrack to calm the angry and desperate soldiers before they could commit any further suicidal acts. He and a few of his friends requested the British to let them send a delegation to Delhi to present their point of view, but no one paid heed to the request. It was now the third week and the tricolour continued to flutter proudly in that little Ireland inside India. It was only after malaria and cholera gripped the barracks that the situation became desperate. Daley and his comrades made frantic efforts to jack up the dwindling spirits.

At this stage, Daley started concentrating on finding a way out of the impasse as he did not wish to see his brave countrymen die like flies and sick dogs. As an honourable surrender appeared to be the right solution to him, he set out with a white flag to meet the General-Officer-Commanding and offered the proposal of surrender for the sake of his sick and dying brethren. His main condition of surrender was that all men would be honourably discharged and sent home as citizens of Ireland. The cunning British agreed because it was one way of bringing down the curtain on the ‘mutiny’ which had already lasted for three gruelling weeks.

The rains were late that year and the seltering heat in the month of July was unbearable. Living in tents in such uncongenial climate was like being literally in hell. Due to lack of sanitation and without medical cover, Irish soldiers started dying a dozen a day. Daley tried reasoning with the British military authorities for a fair treatment and early repatriation as agreed, but the high command obviously had other plans. When they saw that the sick and weak Rangers were demoralised and in a vulnerable condition, they broke them into small groups on the pretext of providing them accommodation in different bungalow until a special train could be arranged to carry them to a port. They were thus moved to various buildings around the cantonment, overpowered, and then moved to Simla.

This was to be the final enactment in the tense drama of the Irish mutiny. The military machine was set in motion to decide the fate of the mutineers. In August, 1920, court martial proceeding against 800 men began. The proceedings were conducted at the army headquarters at Simla. Day after day, sentences were passed. Hundreds were to be shot, many sentenced to life imprisonment and the remaining awarded 10 to 20 years of hard labour in lock-ups.

Back home in Ireland, the struggle for independence was gathering momentum. The British knew that they would not be able to hold down the valiant Irish for long. The Viceroy and the Commander-in-Chief of India deliberated on the situation, and took a political decision. This decision was considerably influenced by the situation prevailing in India which was not the least comfortable. All those who were to be shot were pardoned. Sentences of imprisonment were reviewed and remitted. The famous Connaught Rangers were disbanded and their colours shipped back to the King in England where they still hang at Windsor Castle. However, there had to be a show of military discipline and justice. Any defiance by a soldier amounted to an act of mutiny and this had to be firmly established for the dignity and honour of military tradition. To achieve this, somebody had made a scapegoat — symbolic of fair but firm treatment.

The one so chosen was Jim Daley. He was led blindfolded to be shot by a firing squad in one corner of Jalandhar cantonment in November, 1920. Under security cover, the body of Daley was buried in an inconspicuous place, without a cross, and then forgotten. He, who should have been awarded a Nobel Prize for peace, was instead awarded bullets. The other soldiers were packed off to England to serve their respective sentences.

Later, in the fifties, Jim Daley’s mortal remains were dug out on the request of the Irish Government and interned in a churchyard of Simla. They were finally sent to Ireland a decade later, to be buried with honour in the bossom of his motherland

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Tribune Saturday May 29. 1999...... ALSO PICTURE OF MY GRANDFATHER JAMES J. DEVERS AND HIS COMMRADES THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS MUTINY INDIA 1922..

sorry guys it won't load up .it say it to pig for to send...

paula

regards Martin

sadly, John Miranda's the only one left in India. Died of dysentry.

• 1 month later...

HI PJ PAULA HERE I HAVE ALL THE INFO ON WHAT PRISON THE CONNUAGHT RANGERS WERE IN MY GRANDFATHER JAMES J. DEVERS.

THIS IS A COPY OF THE LETTER I RECEIVED FROM PARKHURST PRISON ENGLAND...

Dear Paula,

Thank you for your email.

James Joseph Devers appears in the Parkhurst register on the 11th May 1922. He had been convicted on the 4th September 1920 at G.C.M.Dagshai for joining in a mutiny. The sentence was life commuted to 20 years penal servitude. He had come from Maidstone C prison and was released on 6th January 1923 to Ballina (?).

By a coincidence we also have the Maidstone gaol register because at a later date it appears to have been used by a prison on the Isle of Wight. All this confirms is that the prisoners came to Maidstone gaol from Portland Prison on the 15th May 1921, and was transferred to Parkhurst on the 10 May 1922. A large number of the mutineers who were still in gaol in Maidstone in 1923 had their sentences remitted on the 4th January Home Office Order H.O.O.17236/355B dated 3/1/23

I hope that this information will be of some use to you.

Yours sincerely

Richard Smout

Archivist

ALSO PJ HERE IS A PICTURE OF MY GRANDFAHTER AND HIS COMMARDES..

Hi Paula: I had nearly forgotten about James Joseph until recently. I had quite a chat with Martin Devers and he is very much into the history of the Devers family. James' wife, by the way, was Mary Canavan from Enniscrone, whom he married and had one child before setting off for India after the closure of the war. I enjoyed reading all the new replies to this thread and there are very informative people out there. Also 'Mad Paddy's' (cousin Murtagh's) website contains a lot of information. Hate to report this but a cousin, Noel Devers, a grandson of Tom, died this week. Best wishes from Ballina. P. J. Clarke.

ok i am adding three part of notes about the connaught rangers which i've had since 2001. hope you all find it ever interesting to read..

THE CONNAUGHT RANGERS' MUTINY.

After many years I have decided to write this

authentic narrative, on what is now known as the

Connaught Rangers' Mutiny. An idea seems to have gained

currency, which it would be well at the outset to

correct. It has been suggested that the Mutiny was

organised and brought to issue by outside influence.

This is not so, and readers can judge for themselves the

manner in which the trouble was caused in far-off India.

The Rangers learned, through sections of the Press, of

the atrocious deeds of the Black and Tans in Ireland.

This news was later verified by letters which some of the

men received from their relatives. Up to that point, the

men were happy in the thought that they had played their

part in the fight for the liberties and rights of small

nations, their own included. But the news from home gave

them a great shock. On each man's face one could soon

see the stamp of sorrow and disappointment, and,

forthwith, a wave of indignation swept through the

barracks.

Before giving my account of the Mutiny, perhaps a

short history of the Rangers may not be out of place.

The Connaught Rangers were originally recruited in

1795 by Colonel Thomas de Burgh, afterwards thirteenth

Earl of Clanricarde. They all came from Connacht and the

officers also were all Irishmen, some of them being

relatives of Colonel de Burgh. Their first foreign

service was in 1807, when they formed part of a British

force which was sent to Buenos Aires to attack the

Spanish, at that time allies of Napoleon, and from South

America they came to the Peninsula. They took part in

all the great battles in the campaign, Torres Vedra,

Ciudad Rodrigo, Badajoz, Salamanca, where they captured

the famous "Jingling Johnny" from the 101st French

Regiment. "Jingling Johnny" with its tiers of jingling

brass bells, is a figure 7ft. 8 ins high, constructed of

brass crescents, bells and horse-hair plumes, and

surmounted by an Imperial French Eagle.

They fought also at Nances Valles and through the

Pyrenees to Orthes, going then to Canada, where they

fought at Plathsburgh. Subsequently, they were sent

home, but did not arrive in time to take their part in

the battle of Waterloo.

The first time the Regiment was stationed in Ireland

was in 1836, when they were transferred from the Ionian

Isles to Kinsale. At this period Ireland was in a state

of agitation and several attempts were made to create

discontent amongst the Rangers. The attempts were

renewed on various occasions from 1841 to 1851, but the

Regiment was never known to mutiny until 1920.

The Regiment also served in the Crimea, where they

gained repute at Alma. We next hear of them in the South

:) paula

African War where they served right through the campaign.

After this, they were on foreign service until the

outbreak of the Great War of 1914, when they formed part

of the first British Expeditionary Force which landed in

France. For their part in that war they were awarded 37

place names on their colours, which now lie in Windsor

Castle. Prior to its outbreak, the First Battalion were

stationed in Ferozepore, Punjab, whence they were sent to

France on the 30th August 1914; from the latter place to

Mesopotamia, then to Egypt, finally to England, and

posted to Grandshaft Bks., Dover. The Rangers were then

granted leave, during which the battalion was again

strengthened for overseas service. They were next

transferred to Wellington Barracks, Jullundur, Punjab,

where they arrived on the 24th November, 1919. Early in

1920, they were reinforced by two drafts of troops from

England, so that, at the time our story commences, the

strength of the battalion would be about 800 officers and

men.

Jullundur is about three days' rail journey from the

nearest seaport, Bombay. All was quiet and peaceful

there, without the slightest hint that trouble was

brewing in the battalion. The Rangers, so far as could

be seen, were settling down to it and looking forward to

a well-earned rest after a hard campaign of four years

and three months' active service. But fate took its

innings and ordained that it be otherwise.

On the 25th June 1920, about 2 p.m., Private Dawson,

B/Coy. went to the battalion guardroom and asked to be

placed under arrest, giving as his reason to the guard

commander that he was in sympathy with his country in its

fight for freedom, and that he was taking this step as a

protest against the atrocious deeds committed on the

people of Ireland by the Black and Tans. He concluded by

stating that he was finished soldiering for England. The

sergeant of the guard had no option but place the man

under arrest. Having done so, he reported the incident

to Sergeant-Major E. Tame, who was acting Regimental S.M.

at the time. The latter gave an order that a sick report

be made out in Dawson's name and that he be removed from

the guardroom to the station hospital forthwith. When

this order had been carried out the sergeant-major sent a

covering note to the M.O. of the station hospital. In

that, he explained what Dawson had done, and put forward

the excuse - in order to hush up the incident - that the

man was suffering from the after-effects of a slight

sunstroke, and was not responsible for his actions; he

ended his note with a request to the medical officer to

have him detained in hospital. The latter granted the

sergeant-major's request and, to all appearances, the

effort to hush up the matter had succeeded, for nothing

more happened on the 25th, 26th or 27th and we had come

to the conclusion that the incident was merely a flash in

the pan.

The morning of the 28th June brought a rude

awakening, and it became manifest that the action of

Dawson was far more than a mere flash in the pan. It was

the indomitable spirit of patriotism that was in revolt;

it was the calm before the storm. The following four men

- Lally, Gogarty, Hawes and Sweeney - came to the Royal

Army Temperance Association and asked the N.C.O. in

charge if he would do them a good turn by writing home to

their relatives and letting them know if anything should

happen as a result of the action they were about to take.

On being asked what they really did intend to do, they

stated that they were going to volunteer for the

guardroom as a protest against the action of the Black

and Tans in Ireland, and they made it very clear that

they were finished soldiering for England having just had

twelve years' service with the colours. The N.C.O.

pointed out the possible consequences of their action,

and appealed to them, as they were only young soldiers,

to reconsider the step they were about to take before it

might be too late. They replied that they had already

considered it and were going through with it no matter

what the consequences might be. Seeing that he could not

prevail on them to change their minds, the N.C.O.

promised that he would carry out their wishes. The then

left the R.A.T.A.

It was difficult enough for the authorities to keep

the action of Dawson from becoming general knowledge to

the men of the battalion; but, now that four other men

had revolted, it was impossible to keep it dark. About 8

a.m. the N.C.O. was told that four men had volunteered

for the guardroom. He knew at once who they were, and

learned shortly afterwards that they had given the same

reason to the guard commander for their action as Private

Dawson had on 25th June. The guard commander had no

option but to place the four men under arrest. Having

done so, he reported the incident to Sergeant-major E

Tame.

Needless to say, news of the action of the four men

went round the barracks like wildfire. Small groups of

excited men could be seen standing in every direction,

others were running here, there and everywhere, just like

a swarm of bees that had been disturbed. The N.C.O.

thought the matter over very carefully and a feeling

impossible to describe seemed to surge through his whole

being. The upshot was that he came to the conclusion he

was no longer bound by his oath of allegiance to a king

whose government was responsible for so many outrages on

his fellow-countrymen and women for merely demanding the

God-given right to take their appropriate place among the

Free Nations of the earth. Having made up his mind, he

went into the billiard rooms, where about fifty men were

assembled. He informed them that four of their comrades

had volunteered for the guardroom as a protest against

the Black and Tans' outrages on the people of Ireland,

and pointed out that, if the action of their four

comrades in the guardroom was to have any effect, it must

be backed up by every Irishman in the battalion who loved

his country.

One of the party suggested that there was one

drawback in the arrangements. As it was summer-time, the

battalion was divided, and 300 of their number had been

sent up to the hills, while the remaining 500 had stayed

at Jullundur. The N.C.O. was well aware that, about a

month previously, C/Company had been sent to Solon, and

A/Company to Jutogh, both of which places were situated

in the Simla Hills, about 300 miles from Jullundur. He

stated to the assembled men that there was no

alternative, if their four comrades in the guardroom were

to be spared from the wrath of the authorities, who would

deal very severely with them now that they were aware of

the discontent in the battalion. It was only natural to

expect that the authorities would prepare forthwith to

..............paula

quash any attempt the Rangers might make to revolt, and

so it was the manifest duty of the Rangers to pull

themselves together while they had time and to organise

every man who was prepared to defend the honour of his

country and the noble and righteous cause for which

Ireland was fighting, namely, its complete independence.

It was necessary that we should be prepared, and in a

position to meet the onslaught of the authorities, should

they decide to use force against us, although our policy

was to be one of passive resistance; but we would not lie

down under blows while we were in a position to hit back.

There were 500 men fully armed, embracing B. and D.

Coys., andthe Black and Tans' outrages on the people of Ireland,

and pointed out that, if the action of their four

comrades in the guardroom was to have any effect, it must

be backed up by every Irishman in the battalion who loved

his country.

One of the party suggested that there was one

drawback in the arrangements. As it was summer-time, the

battalion was divided, and 300 of their number had been

sent up to the hills, while the remaining 500 had stayed

at Jullundur. The N.C.O. was well aware that, about a

month previously, C/Company had been sent to Solon, and

A/Company to Jutogh, both of which places were situated

in the Simla Hills, about 300 miles from Jullundur. He

stated to the assembled men that there was no

alternative, if their four comrades in the guardroom were

to be spared from the wrath of the authorities, who would

deal very severely with them now that they were aware of

the discontent in the battalion. It was only natural to

expect that the authorities would prepare forthwith to

quash any attempt the Rangers might make to revolt, and

so it was the manifest duty of the Rangers to pull

themselves together while they had time and to organise

every man who was prepared to defend the honour of his

country and the noble and righteous cause for which

Ireland was fighting, namely, its complete independence.

It was necessary that we should be prepared, and in a

position to meet the onslaught of the authorities, should

they decide to use force against us, although our policy

was to be one of passive resistance; but we would not lie

down under blows while we were in a position to hit back.

There were 500 men fully armed, embracing B. and D.

Coys., and detachments of A. and C. Coys., each

detachment having about 50 men. The majority of the men

in the recreation room were members of the C. Coy.

detachment, and they immediately returned to their

quarters when the N.C.O. had ceased addressing them. It

being compulsory for every man in the British Army to

attend school until he attained his 3rd class certificate

of education, there was a parade of C. and D. Coys.

detachments for school at 9 o'clock on the morning in

question.

The men of D. Coy. were not fully informed of the

events which had taken place earlier in the morning, and

they paraded and marched to school. The men of C. Coy.

refused to parade and had word to this effect conveyed to

the officer in charge of their Coy. The officer replied

that they were to go on parade at once. On receipt of

this order, the men went to the Coy. office and informed

the officer in charge that they would not parade for him

or anyone else, and that they were taking this action as

a result of what was happening to their people at the

hands of the Black and Tans in Ireland. The officer then

sent orders to the men of D. Coy. to parade, fully armed,

and to place the men of C/Coy. under arrest. The men of

D.Coy proceeded to comply with this order until Cpl.

O'Donoghue and Lce. Cpl. J.A. McGowan, who had heard the

full particulars of what had taken place that morning

appealed to the men of their Coys. not to parade, but to

support their comrades in C. Coy. The men of D. Coy.

then refused to parade.

In the meantime, the C. Coy. detachment had marched

to the battalion guardroom and, on arrival there,

demanded that they be placed under arrest, as they too

were finished soldiering. Their demands were complied

with. A few minutes after this occurrence, a man named

Kelly, who was on duty as Commanding Officer Orderly for

the day, went to the guardroom, handed over his belt and

side-arms, and demanded to be placed under arrest; his

demands also were complied with. Lce. Cpl. Keenan and

Hayes, who were with C. Coy. detachment in the guardroom,

were elected spokesmen for their own party. During this

time the men of D. Coy. were being addressed by Cpl.

O'Donoghue and, as a result of his address, they decided

to join their comrades in the guardroom.

About 9.45 a.m. those men of D. Coy. marched

accordingly to the guardroom and had an interview with

their comrades. While this interview was in progress,

the commanding officer of the regiment had been informed

of the occurrence and, on arrival at the barracks, went

direct to the battalion guardroom, where he appealed to

the men to come out and carry on their duty, and that

there would be nothing more about it. The men refused

point blank to come out. The Colonel then pointed out

the seriousness of their behaviour and advised them to

let the matter drop. Their action would not change the

policy of the British Government in Ireland; the only

effect it would have would be punishment for themselves.

But the men still refused to leave the guardroom. Seeing

that he could not prevail on them to become loyal once

more, he turned to the men of D. Coy. assembled outside

the guardroom and appealed to them to endeavour to

persuade the men in the guardroom to come out and carry

on their duty. The men of D. Coy.. informed the

commanding officer that they were in sympathy with their

comrades in the guardroom and demanded that they

themselves also should be placed under arrest. The

Colonel seemed to be at his wit's end. Turning on his

heel, he went in the direction of B. Coy. where a large

body of men were collected. These he proceeded to

address in the same manner as the men in the guardroom,

but his appeal fell on deaf ears. He then left the

barracks, stating that he had done all he could and that

he would now have to report the matter to the General

Officer commanding the brigade. Then Major R. L. Payne

of the Battalion advised the men to take their commanding

officer's advice, as their action would lead them into

very serious trouble. They told him they would do

nothing of the kind. Thenceforward excited groups could

be seen standing outside each company throughout the

barracks, and no one knew what would happen next. Seeing

that no man of the party was prepared to take the

responsibility, the N.C.O. came to the conclusion that

something must be done at once, before things got out of

hand, and so seized the opportunity of getting control of

the Rangers. Stepping forward, he offered his services

to Major R. L. Payne, who was delighted. "That's what I

want, Corporal", he said. "I want someone to help me".

But if the officer only knew what was at the back of the

N.C.O's mind, he would not have been so delighted with

the offer.

Having got permission, he proceeded to the battalion

• 2 years later...

Hi old sweats.

my grandfather. was James J. devers from Ballina. he was one of the connuaght Rangers inida 1920......

• 3 years later...

My great Uncle was one of the men involved, official records name him as James Connell, but his real name was Simon, he had joined the British Army under age and used his brothers name (my grandfather). I have his service records and mountains of Irish service and pension records.  Unfortunately I have no idea what happened to him after 1939, I do wonder if he went back to India.

Regards,

Paul