Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Passenger lists of the Missanabie

bluegrasser

Hi!

Can anyone help me locate the passenger lists of the "Missanabie."

My Paternal Grandmother has kept a newspaper clipping from England about the safe arrival of the men aboard. She has written across the article Nov. 25, 1915.

I have several relatives who may have been on this ship to go overseas for WW1.

Their names are:

Edward Elliwood Allison

John Baptiste Bosley (Beausoleil)

Leon Prive'

Joseph Leon Prive' dit Charbonneau

Charles E. Paulley

If ANYONE can help me locate these particular men on any of the ships including "The Missanabie" I would be very much appreciative! I would like to know dates of boarding, where the ports were, and arrivals. I have been searching for the passenger lists and they seem to evade me. Perhaps someone owns them? A few of us family members are researching these fellows and can't find too much on them. Some have Attestation Papers, and others elude us. Lots of family legends have been proven wrong! Others are still a mystery.

I would be interested to know as well if anyone else has been researching these men?

This is my very first post to this website, I am new to this. I had wanted to include a picture of the actual newspaper clipping but I was unable to do this due to lack of experience on this website. I will try again....

Thank you in advance to anyone for responding.

The Canadian Expeditionary Force Study Group has a list of Troopships for the Infantry Battalions at http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilitie...ps/infantry.htm . The list shows that the 47th Battalion and the 59th Battalion, 2nd Reinforcing Draft sailed on the Missanabie in November 1915. They left from Montreal on November 13 and landed at Plymouth on November 22, 1915.

Annette

Welcome to the forum,

There are several passenger list on FMP (find my past), but their all going outbout from Britian. Nearest one to your date is she left Liverpool on 29 Oct 1915 going to Montreal

Grant

Your best bet is going to be to order the service files for each of the men. Instructions for ordering service files are here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...42-130-e.html#h

I did find a bit for C E Paulley. He attested to the 122nd Bn and appears on the unit embarkation rolls. It is not clear from the published version whether he was part of the main body or one of 2 small details which sailed seperately and earlier; info for these 3 sailings can be found at the link avidgenie gave you. The nominal (embarkation) roll can be found in the Bob Richardson Collection here http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilitie.../richardson.htm

Al

Your best bet is going to be to order the service files for each of the men. Instructions for ordering service files are here http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databas...42-130-e.html#h

I did find a bit for C E Paulley. He attested to the 122nd Bn and appears on the unit embarkation rolls. It is not clear from the published version whether he was part of the main body or one of 2 small details which sailed seperately and earlier; info for these 3 sailings can be found at the link avidgenie gave you. The nominal (embarkation) roll can be found in the Bob Richardson Collection here http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilitie.../richardson.htm

Al

Thanks for responding. I could not seem to access your link as "Media Fire" would come up and perpetually say it was loading file...I don't get it. Would you mind sending that link again please? I have been looking on each and every nominal roll I can find on the Richardson Collection and no one I am looking for has shown up on any list as of yet. I guess that the men I am looking for continue to be elusive and perhaps the nominal rolls are plainly NOT available.

I have been looking on each and every nominal roll I can find on the Richardson Collection and no one I am looking for has shown up on any list as of yet. I guess that the men I am looking for continue to be elusive and perhaps the nominal rolls are plainly NOT available.

If you have been able to access other rolls in the Richardson collection you should also be able to access the roll for the 122nd. I did notice that particular subfile was slow to load but it eventually came up.

Not all rolls are available online. If you post each mans reg. no. it will be possible to narrow down the possibilities, for instance the only J B Bosley I could find in the LAC attestation papers database had a number which places him in a Forestry reinforcing draft from Military District 3 in Mar 1917, the rolls for these drafts are not online, and as I said his service file will in all likelihood provide all the details you desire and failing that enough clues to allow further, more focussed search of other records in the LAC collections.

The only Leon Prive' I could find had a number in blocks assigned to both the 5th CMR and 1st Div. Engineers, but a check on the papers of men with numbers immediately before and after showed they were in the 1st Div Signals Coy. I checked the rolls for each of these units ... no Prive' there.

I could not locate APs for Allison E E or J L P dit Charboneau so can offer nothing.

Al

If you have been able to access other rolls in the Richardson collection you should also be able to access the roll for the 122nd. I did notice that particular subfile was slow to load but it eventually came up.

Not all rolls are available online. If you post each mans reg. no. it will be possible to narrow down the possibilities, for instance the only J B Bosley I could find in the LAC attestation papers database had a number which places him in a Forestry reinforcing draft from Military District 3 in Mar 1917, the rolls for these drafts are not online, and as I said his service file will in all likelihood provide all the details you desire and failing that enough clues to allow further, more focussed search of other records in the LAC collections.

The only Leon Prive' I could find had a number in blocks assigned to both the 5th CMR and 1st Div. Engineers, but a check on the papers of men with numbers immediately before and after showed they were in the 1st Div Signals Coy. I checked the rolls for each of these units ... no Prive' there.

I could not locate APs for Allison E E or J L P dit Charboneau so can offer nothing.

Al

WOW! Thanks so much for trying to locate these men for me, Al ( and anyone else )

John Baptiste Bosley was my Grandfather who apparently, as family legend goes, was too young, but lied about his age, joined the CEF and his mother reported him missing. By the time they caught up with him, he was already overseas and had to be sent back! I have no proof of this though...I do have his Attestation paper (dated March 24, 1917) which say he was a marine man. That makes sense as he worked for "The Outboard Marine Corp." in later years. My cousin has his papers from Ottawa's Library and Archives.

I have several pictures of Leon Prive' (my g.grandfather) who was in the RCHA band. (Gee, I wonder if anyone else has any of these same pictures of the band and pictures at Petewawa as well?) My cousin has his papers from the Library and Archives (Canada). Joseph Leon Prive' (dit Charbonneau) was his son who we have a picture of him in uniform. It looks as if he has a beaver on his cap badge (maybe the "Van Doo's?"). I cannot locate any information about him so far.

Edward Allison's Attestation Paper says Oct. 7, 1918. No record of him anywhere....

Yes, Charles Elmot Paulley was indeed in the 122nd Battalion in 1917. He was my paternal g.grand father. It was nice to have found at least one of our relatives who were in the Great War ACTUALLY listed on a Nominal Roll! Thank you!

Edward Allison was conscripted late in the war. It's possible that he only served in Canada or he could have been part of the Canadian Siberian Expeditionary Force. I am not sure when they left for Russia. I see that Edward married in December 1918 in Ontario. The only way you will know for sure is to obtain a copy of his full service record.

I have several pictures of Leon Prive' (my g.grandfather) who was in the RCHA band.

So a possible connection to your clipping marked Nov 23, 1915. There is an embarkation roll for a draft of the RCHA dated Nov 13, 1915 ie the same date as rolls for units which Missinabie is known to have carried. Unfortunately, the RCHA roll is not available online so you will either have to have your cousin who has his file confirm his sailing date and ship from the casualty card in the file or order the nominal roll yourself. If you chose that latter course you can use the same ordering form as for service files and supply the following information

RG9 , Militia and Defence , Series II-B-9 , Volume 23

File : 260 , Access code: 90

File Title: C Battery, Royal Canadian Horse Artillery - 3rd Reinforcing Draft

Outside Dates: 1915/11/13

The file will run perhaps 6 pages so not too costly, 6 to 8 weeks delivery though.

John Baptiste Bosley was my Grandfather who apparently, as family legend goes, was too young, but lied about his age, joined the CEF and his mother reported him missing. By the time they caught up with him, he was already overseas and had to be sent back!

If he was sent back his name will appear on a passenger list. You have 3 options to try and locate it, you can have your cousin check his file for the return date, then consult the Repatriation Ships Utility http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/Utilities/Troopships/repatriation.htm ://http://www.cefresearch.com/matrix/U...patriation.htm , or you can use Ance$try.ca and search their Canadian passenger lists this a pay service, or you can use the Repatriation Ships Utility and wade through the lists from say June 1917 onwards.

Al

• 2 years later...

Thank you everyone for trying to help me in my queries.

Edward Allison married my Grandmother in Dec. 1918, so this is probably the marriage certificate you saw on line. BUT - at some point they were no longer married and I am not sure how that came about - divorce, annulment or just separated....hmmmm....no proof.....then years later she eneded up with my Grandfather. I have yet to find any marriage records for them too - OR a birth certificate or Baptismal certificate for John Baptiste Bosley (could be Beausoleil), my Grandfather......oh yay...more family mysteries to solve....

I had also found a site that someone had posted pictures of his Grave near Watertown and it says Ted Allison on his gravestone missed by his wife Mildred....hmmm.....

Thank you for the links to the ship lists too!

I had wondered if anyone knows if there is a RCHA museum of any sort?

Are there pictures and memorabilia and do they have a contact person or committee?

Either in Kingston or in Petewawa perhaps?

If anyone knows who I can contact about it, please let me know.

I have several emailed pictures from a cousin, of the RCHA band in which my Great Grandfather, Leon Prive' was in. This would be cool to share with the museum if they would be intereested in seeing them.

Of course, I would have to get permission from family members in order to do this.

Apparenlty this band was too valuable to Canada so these men never were shipped overseas in the Great War. This information I read in a "RCHA - Right of the Line" book.