Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed in identifying uniform

suetobin

Hi all,

I am new here and just learning how to use this site. I wonder if anyone can identify the uniform my grandfather is wearing in this photo:

post-45126-1254487013.jpg

I'm not even sure that it's an army uniform. Perhaps it's a fire service uniform. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you

Sue

Hi Sue,

Your Grandfather looks to be wearing a police uniform, and I am sure those are Prince of Wales feathers so perhaps a Welsh Constabulary, thats my pennyworth.

Rob

QUOTE (Rob B @ Oct 2 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Sue,

Your Grandfather looks to be wearing a police uniform, and I am sure those are Prince of Wales feathers so perhaps a Welsh Constabulary, thats my pennyworth.

Rob

Thanks for the very quick reply, Rob. My grandfather did live in Glamorgan, Wales, so I shall have to look into the Welsh Constabulary. You've been a great help. Thank you.

Sue

Thanks for the very quick reply, Rob. My grandfather did live in Glamorgan, Wales, so I shall have to look into the Welsh Constabulary. You've been a great help. Thank you.

Sue

Sue,

I'm far from being an expert, but I think it's post 1911 as that's about the time the uniform changed from the long frock coat to the uniform your grandfather seems to be wearing.

Glamorgan POlice now forms part of South Wales Police, you may find this web page helpful.

http://www.south-wales.police.uk/fe/master.asp?n1=8

On the original photo you may be able to make out his identity numbers on his collar. You never know the museu, may hold his service record if he is one of theirs!

Jon

Hi Sue,

His number looks to be 124.

Rob

You have both been a big help. I'm very grateful.

Thank you for the link Jon. I shall have a good read of the site and perhaps write to the museum.

Best wishes to you both

Sue