Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMHS Asturias

chrisharley9

• 7 months later...

I'm not sure if this is right for this thread, but the information available for the two women on board, missing believed drowned, seems a tad sparse. The following may be of help to someone. Bridget Trenerry, nee Murphy, born in Dublin. Bridget was a 65 year old Stewardess, widow of Edmund Trenerry, a Customs Officer. The other was a Staff Nurse in Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service (Special Reserve). Her name was Jessie Josephine Phillips, born in Mooltan, Punjab, 20 June 1889, the daughter of Police Superintendent Frederick William Phillips and Josephine Maud (nee Laville).

The papers for Miss Phillips (from TNA) include a telegram from Commander Eagles, Kingsbridge to Admiralty, sent 11.45am on 23 March. It is a state of play at the time and gives the names of casualties for both medical personnel and crew. I can post a copy provided a) I'm technically competent, B) anyone is interested and c) it's OK to post Crown Copyright.

Peter

• 2 years later...

By sheer co-incidence I happened to be researching tonight a RAMC man who is remembered on a War Memorial at Lowestoft and is buried in Lowestoft Cemetery, who died in the torpedoing of the Asturias. A google search brought me here at just the right time to commemorate the centenary of this incident.

33176834590_7f8ec0b6ef.jpgEdgar Arthur Blake HMHT Asturias 1917 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

I also found another article, part of which possibly explains the reference to gassing.

For survivors struggling in the water near the wreck, the conditions were atrocious. Not only was it a cold night, but, so press accounts claimed, the explosion had taken place in “an area of the ship where disinfectants were kept, and that region was rendered dangerous by the fumes of the chemicals.”

http://forgottenwrecks.maritimearchaeologytrust.org/asturias

regards,

Peter

• 7 months later...

Three graves in Southampton Old Cemetery of those who perished on HMHS Asturias

IMG_4173.jpg

IMG_4175.jpg

IMG_4227.jpg

• 3 years later...

Hello Chris

Unfortunately, I am unable to open the list of casualties on the HMHS Asturia and I wondered whether you had my 3rd cousin, twice removed's name.  He was Edward Thomas Baden Doncom, an ordinary seaman and aged only 16 when he died, which would likely make him one of, if not, the youngest person to die on the ship.  

He was born in July 1900 in Southampton to William and Amelia Doncom of 88 College Street, Southampton and was the 7th of their 10 children.  He is listed on the Mercantile Marine Mem Part II, London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Tower Hill, Greater London.  

Kind Regards

Linda

• 2 months later...

After some 12 years I think I am now in a position to say that the final chapter has been written with regard to the Asturias.

Today the graves of the following men have been found

TRIMMER
THOMAS HENRY GOSNEY
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Mercantile Marine

H.M.H.S. "Asturias" (Belfast)

Date of Death
Died 30 March 1917

Age 16 years old

Buried or commemorated at
TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Southampton Old Cemetery.

FIREMAN
WALTER WILLIAM GEORGE SEABORN
Regiment & Unit/Ship
Mercantile Marine

H.M.H.S. "Asturias" (Belfast)

Date of Death
Died 31 March 1917

Age 28 years old

Buried or commemorated at
TOWER HILL MEMORIAL

Southampton Hollybrook Cemetery.

Both are now known to have died in hospital in Plymouth.