Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ladies brooch

James Power

Can anyone help with the identity of the below brooch please? It was passed to me by a distant relative who believed that its origins lie in the Great War for service (unknown) by women.

The word 'Libertas' appears at the base of the crest.

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide

James

post-3069-1254482719.jpg

Intriguing. It has two types of leaf, what appear to be oak and presumably laurel. There are three castle towers but what the objects are meant to be rising from the top and emerging as possibly roads, I have no idea.

No doubt some Pal will be along to tell you what sort of crown it is, the heart shape indicates made for a lady etc etc, but let's see what happens next!!

Googled and came up with this AC Libertas Football San Marino. the coat of arms is similar. But probably has nothing to do with the broach.

Cheers Rob

post-56-1254506197.gif

Rob and Sue - Thank you both so very much for such speedy detective work in determining the origins of this brooch. I had spent the best part of a day trying to achieve what you accomplished in a matter of minutes!

I will now try to find out more about how this brooch came in to the posession of my elderly relative, especially any connection with the Great War (Italian front?), but for now thanks you once again for taking the trouble to help me find the origins of this brooch.

Best wishes

James