Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

battle of doiran

doggie

I am trying to find information on William Frederick Avery R.A.M.C. who was at the battle of Doiran and showed great bravery in

helping the wounded whilst under fire.

He was a relations Grandfather who would like to know more.

Has anyone any knowledge of him please ?

He has a Medal Index Card on Ancestry, address for medals 27 Blackfriars Rd Southsea, if you let me have your email address I will send it to you. Ralph. (Welcome to the forum)

He has a Medal Index Card on Ancestry, address for medals 27 Blackfriars Rd Southsea, if you let me have your email address I will send it to you. Ralph. (Welcome to the forum)

thanks rjaydee I have found that, but there is no record of the medal he received. thanks anyway

The card says he got the British War and Victory medal. He did not qualify either for the 14-15 star or the Territorial Force War Medal. As far as I could see in the archives he did not get any medal for gallantry. Normally there is a second MIC for an MM or DCM.

Kind regards,

Lars

The card says he got the British War and Victory medal. He did not qualify either for the 14-15 star or the Territorial Force War Medal. As far as I could see in the archives he did not get any medal for gallantry. Normally there is a second MIC for an MM or DCM.

Kind regards,

Lars

Thanks Lars,

I know he died a chelsea pensioner in 1969 and we have recd an email from someone who knew him(the person who knew him was 21 at the time) i was hoping there might be someone else out there who also remembered him. vaine hope I know

thank you again lars and kind regards

Check in a book Under Devil's eye -Alan Wakefield and Simon Moody.

Then check some photos: www.salonikabattlefieldtour.com

Thank you Salonika

The photos in the battlefield tour where most interesting and informative, my father also served in Salonika he was in the

machinegun corps . I remember him telling me about the terrible heat there, and how he would open a tin of jam but before

he could get it onto the bread it was smothered in flies. It must have been horrible I think. He was one of those who went down

with malaria.

thank you for your help.

Regards Doggie