Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cubitt family, Honing Hall, Norfolk

Tim Godden

Has any one got any info regarding the following men...

Cpt. E.R. Cubitt k.i.a. 12.8.15

Lt. V.M. Cubitt k.i.a. 12.8.15

Lt. E.H. Cubitt k.i.a. 19.4.17

2nd Lt. R Burroughs k.i.a. 12.8.15

I have all the cwgc details but anything else would be marvellous.

Many thanks,

Tim

Tim,

I can not find out why, but Eustace, Randall Edward and Victor Murray are listed on the Kidderminster memorial. Do you know of any connection?

Kevin

Tim

This photo is from'All the Kings Men' by Nigel McCrery ISBN 0-671-01831-0

Which has quite a bit about the family in it.

Dave

More info

one more

Finally

Your Cubbits are commemorated here.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Norfolk/Honing.html

They are but one of several families that had two or more members among the officers of the 1/4 and, in particular, the 1/5 Norfolks at Suvla. I have always assumed this was something to do with two battalions being county territorials units.

Cubitt is an old Norfolk name. There is a Cubbit genealogy web page that comes near the top of the Google hit list.

Regards,

Rob.

Thanks for all your help so far.

I have no idea about the Kidderminster connection. Would it be possible to get a photo though? If I find anything I will of course let you know. It may be something to do with a wife's family.

Thanks everyone for all your help and time scanning things in.

All the best,

Tim

Piggots Directory of Kidderminster for 1830 lists a Woolmer Richard Cubitt.

This may be a family collection but I have no further details.

Tim

Do you know where the 5th Norfolks Memorial is and if Lt Col Proctor Beuchamp is listed on it or on any other memorial? I think I read there was a memorial in Sandringham but are names listed on it?

Patrick

Hi Patrick

Lt Col Proctor Beauchamp is commemorated on the Helles War Memorial. There is, as far as I am aware, no specific 5th battalion memorial. The Sandringham memorial only contains men from the area.

Given that the Sandringhams were a company within the 5th battalion it is not surprising that, as tragic as the losses the area sustained are, they are not enough to warrant a whole battalion. THerefore there is no reason why any one not from the area would have been placed on the Sandringham memorial. I would imagine that Proctor-Beauchamp would be found on a memorial in or near to Norwich where he lived.

All the best,

Tim

Thanks Tim - just thought he may be on one to the Battalion

Patrick

Tim

Have you looked at the Norfolk Library's database?

http://noah.norfolk.gov.uk/

A search on 'Cubitt' brings up a lot of references. Many of them are from the Regimental Museum database but a lot of them don't appear to carry a description. A click on the number will still bring up the relevant photo. I will 'bring it to the attention of the authorities' when I'm there next week!

Best wishes

Thanks Chris.

All the best,

Tim

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peter cubit

I have information on the Cubitt's of Honing Hall - including Randall, Victor, Eustace et al. The information traces back to 1474. I note you already have the information from The Kings Men. Where you after anything in particular or do you have the information you were after?

Peter (and others),

Francis Lorraine Petre wrote a 2 volume History of the Norfolk Regiment in the 1920s. Vol 1 (inception to 1914) includes a bibliography that lists an unpublished manuscript on the history of the 1/4 Norfolks (sister unit of the 1/5 battalion). It was written after 1919 by Lt Col John R Harvey DSO. Harvey commanded the 1/4 Norfolk before its departure for Suvla and for just a few weeks at Suvla, right before evacuation. He was mayor of Norwich in 1922. The manuscript is not with the Petre estate and is not on any on-line catalog I have searched.

It's a long shot I know since the 1/4 is not your particular unit of interest but have you ever come across this manuscript?

Regards,

Rob Carman.

Tim,

No 1/5 Norfolk memorial I am afraid, but there is a 54th Division memmorial at the CWGC cemmetrey in Gaza. I have a dissapointingly dark jpeg provided. If you are interested I could post it here (and maybe some computer whizz could tart it up).

Rob

Guest peter cubit

I can find no connection between the Honing branch of the Cubitts but do note that the 1st Baron Ashcombe (surname Cubitt) was MP for Kidderminster. I have been unable to find a link with that branch - and even if it existed would be a distant one at best. I'll keep searching.

Peter,

thankyou, researching the 640 odd names on the Kidderminster memorial I have found a few quirks e.g. one who died in 1922 and one who was not born and did not live in the town, but his wife did! so any firming up of the connection would be welcome.

Kevin