The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

13th Northumberland Fusiliers - the 'Never Dies'?

Colin W Taylor

I'm not a prolific poster but I had a question to ask!

The graffiti below is on the wall of a house in Arras from that building's time as a barbers shop during the fighting.

I was wondering if anyone could confirm from another source or if anyone has any information on the nickname of 'the Never Dies' in relation to the 13th Battalion of the Northumberland Fusiliers. I would assume this nickname is in relation to their performance at Fricourt and Mametz Wood during the Somme Battles.

Answers on a post card and all!

Col

post-47743-1254342311.jpg

Also see below

Col

post-47743-1254343119.jpg

Col

I can't help you with your query; but I am intrigued by the 'Remember Mametz Wood and Friecourt, the Somme' written immediately below. Any other details?

Geraint

Col

I can't help you with your query; but I am intrigued by the 'Remember Mametz Wood and Friecourt, the Somme' written immediately below. Any other details?

Geraint

Geraint

I've read they were involved in the first few days of the Somme fighting - on the 3rd of July 1916 the 13th NF helps capture and hold Shelter and Birch Tree Woods near Fricourt against counterattacks and assist in capturing 800 men.

On the 11th July they relieve parts of the 38th Division and with the 12th NF capture the last piece of the wood. The stay in the line and defend the position until relieved on the night of the 15th/16th - the brigade in the process losing 950 men.

That's all I could glean from Chris MacCarthy's Somme - Day by Day Account

Anyone know more?

Col

Hello,

13th NF were part of 62nd Brigade, 21st division, which I can see you are aware of. They were as you say involved in the earlt days of the Somme, around the village of Fricourt and then on the 2nd/3rd at shelter wood. Prior to the attacks at bazentin on the 14th July, Mametz Wood had to be seized and consolidated.

I have not heard the title 'The never dies' associated with them, so thank you for that information.

I do have a couple of articles re the above two actions on my website if you would care to have a look, though they may not add much to your inquiry.

Regards

Arm

Very interesting stuff! Your other thread on Great War Graffiti is highly relevant.