Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for Cap Badge ID

Bob Chandler

post-6111-1254253702.jpgCan anyone postively identify this badge on my great uncle Fred's cap? My bet is ASC although I have to say it doesn't look quite right from pictures I've seen.

I presume he was on Home Service duties as he was between 50 and 60 when this was taken. ASC would fit as he was a drayman before the war so maybe on horse requisitioning duties?

One of my 'In memory of''s is for his son Albert who died in the Battle of Cambrai.

Many thanks

Army Veterinary Corps, I think.

You Think Correctly!! HB

post-2388-1254255085.jpeg

It's just my shy, self-effacing nature that makes me add the "I think". :lol:

You Think Therefore You Are.

HB...

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are those plastic buttons? Did they have those for the wartime economy tunics?

Thanks all. Does the lanyard have any significance?

Are my eyes playing tricks on me or are those plastic buttons? Did they have those for the wartime economy tunics?

Hard to tell from the picture, they could simply be pressed leather buttons...

Or plain brass, as occasionally issued.

Best wishes,

GT.

I can just see a hint of raised decoration there, from what I can see when I blow it up it seems to match the cap badge...

Lanyards were, IMHO, an item of choice for mounted men, and as Lady McBeth says, "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Only did later years did units wear colored lanyards as issue.

:D

Doc B

Lanyards were, IMHO, an item of choice for mounted men, and as Lady McBeth says, "Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing."

They were actually issue items to ORs of all arms/ corps; and were intended for attachment of the - again issue - jack knife, while being carried in the tunic breast pocket.

Best wishes,

GT.

From "FORGOTTEN VOICES OF THE SOMME" Signaller Leonard Ounsworth. 124th Heavy Battery. Royal Garrison Artillery."

....................We were walking accross this open ground between Barnafy wood and Trônes wood, and there's a big communication trench goes right across it, and I'd stopped to take some brass buttons off a dead man's coat-I mean, he won't want them anymore. We were getting by with composition buttons at the time, awful things, so I thought, "I'll have those brass buttons," and I cut them off..............................

No idea what he means by composition, maybe tufnol or bakelite. No idea when these things arrived. Maybe the composition buttons are what you see in the photo. Just reading this before I spotted your question. Terry.