Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 German Bayonet, used by Freikorps?

gnr.ktrha

Hello,

I picked up a nice 2nd Pattern, Model 1898/05 German Butcher Bayonet with sawback. Sadly there is no scabbard, but the bayonet was cheap, and is in good condition with a faily clean blade. However, the one small draw back is that there is a small white metal Swastika attached to the grip. This has been sunk into the wood work and looks like it has been there for years. It has been fairly well done, not like some kid has knocked up.

The bayonet came via a general antique dealer, from a private source, so I do not think it has been done to add value. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Many thanks for looking,

Stewart

Great war vintage material was certainly used by the Nazis (I have a GEW 98 with both Weimar and Nazi markings) so presumably bayonets went along with them. However I am not sure the Freikorps (1918-23?) would have used the swastika would they? I thought that symbol came later. Well outside my area of knowledge. Charles Woolley has published a book in the Schiffer series about Freikorps uniforms, insignia and equipment that might be helpful (ISBN 076431663X )

Chris

Hello,

I think you might be right about the Freikorps, I think I was thinking about the early Nazi armed groups. I have seen photo's of them from the 1920's and they seem to wear a lot of WW1 uniform and equipment, often with the party emblem added. I have seen it painted on Helmets as well as worn on arm bands etc.

It's a nice, interesting bayonet. I suppose the badge on the handle may add something to the history of the thing, but I would have preferred it if it was not there. I am keen to know if this was a common addition during the 1920's period.

All the best,

Stewart

Stewart

A few weeks ago I nearly bought a sawback that was clearly made well after WW1. I was told they were made up to the late 1930s and were used for ceremonial purposed by the Nazis. It had a frog dated 1942.

John

Hello John,

I have also heard this, but have not seen an example. The one I have is dated 1916 and has the usual imperial markings. I have no doubt that it is original, it is just the emblem on the handle that has thrown me a bit. As I say, it looks like it has been there a long time and the addition of it to the bayonet has not been an attempt to increase it's value.

I will need to dig out my WW2 history books and see if I can find any photographic evidence of this being done to other bayonets.

I would take a photo of it and post it here, but I do not want to upset or offend anyone. However, I may post some photo's on a German Militaria collecting forum, which has an imperial section.

Many thanks for your thoughts etc.

Stewart