Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Arthur Bulleyment. Identity of cap badge & type of unit.

Bingo794

Here is a gentleman from the East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire area.

I was wondering about his cap badge, looks like the ASC to me, but his dress with spurs tells me he may have been yeomanry.

The badge has three points down each side, one at the bottom and a rounded top point.

Can anyone come up with anything?

He was Arthur Richard Bulleyment born Barnetby, 1887 and died in Brigg, 1966.

He worked for a bicycle factory in the area and was at some time with the RFC as a fitter.

He was known as Gassy Bulleyment as he was in charge of the local gas facility in Brigg up to his retirement.

We cannot find anything for him on the military research front.

Many thanks, in hope of a breakthrough.

Regards

DW

post-15564-1254176791.jpg

Not sure if these are of any help:

Arthur Bullement abt 1874 Nether Hallam Yorks 7

View Record reg no: 4021 YLI - born sheffield yorks.

Arthur Bullement abt 1880 York 6

reg no: 13957 again YLI born (as above) lived: 17 Brightmore Street

(name spelt in error on attestation as "Bullifant" the "fant" crossed through and replaced with "ment" to read Bullement

Susan.

Hi Susan

The pic came from a family member who knows exactly who he is.

Arthur Richard Bulleyment 1887-1966, in the Brigg, Lincs. area. Having spent some time in the East of Hull.

The name has many variants: BULLEYMENT/BULLERMENT/BULLIMENT/BULLEMENT/BULLIVANT/BULLIVENT/BULLIFANT and is linked to BEAUMONT.

We still cannot find a record to fit when we try all of these variants.

This is one of those 'brick walls' everyone mentions.

DickW

Not sure if these are of any help:

Arthur Bullement abt 1874 Nether Hallam Yorks 7

View Record reg no: 4021 YLI - born sheffield yorks.

Arthur Bullement abt 1880 York 6

reg no: 13957 again YLI born (as above) lived: 17 Brightmore Street

(name spelt in error on attestation as "Bullifant" the "fant" crossed through and replaced with "ment" to read Bullement

Susan.

Looking at some of these, I recognise them from a family history I completed a while ago for this family. Most if not all of the Yorkshire BULL*****'s stem from a George Bulleyment who went to live in Eastrington in East Yorkshire in around 1790. There were a number of brothers who all went to live in the North of Lincolnshire, George was the only one who went North to Yorkshire.

DickW

What a problem for you. Sorry not to have been any more help.

Never say never....

Susan.

Thanks for your help.

It is a bit of a conundrum. The cap badge is not too clear, if we had a better view of this it may get us closer to knowing his history.

DW

Here is a gentleman from the East Yorkshire/North Lincolnshire area.

The badge has three points down each side, one at the bottom and a rounded top point.

DW

DW,

The picture's way too small for my eyesight I'm afraid, but your description is pretty accurate for the East Yorks, which is also spot on geographically.

post-20192-1254181214.jpg

Don't read too much into the spurs - many roles in an infantry battalion required the man to be mounted.

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

From a previous post (below), try to see if he is listed on an absent voters list.

The Lincolnshire Archives hold several of the AVLs for different districts for the county. However, they occassionally deny any knowledge of them.

regards

Phil

DW,

The picture's way too small for my eyesight I'm afraid, but your description is pretty accurate for the East Yorks, which is also spot on geographically.

post-20192-1254181214.jpg

Don't read too much into the spurs - many roles in an infantry battalion required the man to be mounted.

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

Now thats a point, I did not think of the East Yorks, though there are a few of this name linked to them. Then it is a well known East Hull/Yorks name.

Plus there was a relation who was with them who came from Lincolnshire and worked in the East Riding.

Thanks for that one, Mark.

Dick

From a previous post (below), try to see if he is listed on an absent voters list.

The Lincolnshire Archives hold several of the AVLs for different districts for the county. However, they occassionally deny any knowledge of them.

regards

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for that. I have a few copies of several AVL's from Lincolnshire, which I managed to get hold of when at the Lincoln Archive a few years ago when I did my family histories. I will go and have another look at the ones I didn't get.

Yes, they do have a habit of denying knowledge of items. I had the same thing happen, I asked about papers freom a family and they said they knew nothing about it, though another family researcher had seen the item required and had photocopies of parts of the manuscript.

They sent me on a wild goose chase to the Jews House in Lincoln and the assistant there also knew of the document I wanted. I got it in the end.

DickW

Now thats a point, I did not think of the East Yorks, though there are a few of this name linked to them. Then it is a well known East Hull/Yorks name.

Plus there was a relation who was with them who came from Lincolnshire and worked in the East Riding.

Thanks for that one, Mark.

Dick

Dick,

I think the E Yorks would be spot on for a Hull man and I dare say a few N Lincolnshire men crossed the Humber to join them too.

post-20192-1254479719.jpg

[source: Defend It! recruitment poster]

Cheers,

Mark

Dick,

I think the E Yorks would be spot on for a Hull man and I dare say a few N Lincolnshire men crossed the Humber to join them too.

post-20192-1254479719.jpg

[source: Defend It! recruitment poster]

Cheers,

Mark

Hi Dick

Saw the name!

Teresa

Hi Mark

Love the poster - as a Manchester lass now living in London, do you have any idea where I can locate the bits to the west and south?

Teresa

Teresa

You could try here.

Alan

Ironically the best resolution version I've found was on the US Library of Congress website here:

Library of Congress - Is your home here? Defend it! - British recruitment poster 1915 printed by Roberts & Leete Ltd. London,

And it's free!

I've been looking for a good scan of this poster for at least two years, so I was very pleased when I found the Yanks had one :D

Cheers,

Mark

Ironically the best resolution version I've found was on the US Library of Congress website here:

Library of Congress - Is your home here? Defend it! - British recruitment poster 1915 printed by Roberts & Leete Ltd. London,

And it's free!

I've been looking for a good scan of this poster for at least two years, so I was very pleased when I found the Yanks had one :D

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark,

Like that it's free - unfortunately I couldn't open the link: 'Temporary file open error. Display failed.'

Thanks anyway.

Teresa

Thanks Mark,

Like that it's free - unfortunately I couldn't open the link: 'Temporary file open error. Display failed.'

Thanks anyway.

Teresa

Ha! I'm getting that message too now :blush: - it was working when I checked it in Preview mode ... honest :innocent:

Try this instead:

Library of Congress catalogue record

... then use the Link labelled color film copy transparency at the bottom of the Card. That should take you to a page showing the actual poster. Once there, then click on the image of the poster and you should get to another page with links to the image files for free download including a 57MB high resolution TIFF.

All you'll need to do then is rotate it very slightly (as the scan is not quite straight) and crop off the unwanted black space.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Mark

Ha! I'm getting that message too now :blush: - it was working when I checked it in Preview mode ... honest :innocent:

Try this instead:

Library of Congress catalogue record

... then use the Link labelled color film copy transparency at the bottom of the Card. That should take you to a page showing the actual poster. Once there, then click on the image of the poster and you should get to another page with links to the image files for free download including a 57MB high resolution TIFF.

All you'll need to do then is rotate it very slightly (as the scan is not quite straight) and crop off the unwanted black space.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark, that worked!

Teresa