Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gunner Bailey shot at!

Gunner Bailey

Yesterday I was travelling between Bray Sur Somme and Mametz I spotted a 1918 British cemetery ,and opposite it was a ploughed field. I thought I'd take the opportunity to do a few minutes field walking but noticed a line of 6 hunters with shotguns about 500 yards to my left walking in my direction. After a couple of minutes walking I heard two shots from the group. I immediately looked at them and two hunters were lowering their guns. which were pointed in my direction. Not a bird or rabbit was in sight. Their dogs were not running to any downed bird.

I'm pretty sure the shots were a 'request' for me to leave the field. Which I did.

From now till January the French countryside will be crawling with hunters and yesterday there were literally hundreds of them out. In the past I've had shotguns 'playfully' pointed at me, but this seems to be a first warning shot. Best to be careful, and especially stay out of the woods.

John

My approach to the Leipzig Salient was cut short yesterday and in this instance was very much a case of lacking offensive spirit.

During the season, is it just Sunday they are out in this number?

Regards,

Stephen Garnett

• Admin

Weekends are particularly busy with the chasse but I think they shoot all week.

Michelle

Return fire on full automatic - that tends to put them off

Chris

Or you could have just turned and fell in a heap on the ground - that would cause them a bit of twitching.

Mick

Or you could have just turned and fell in a heap on the ground - that would cause them a bit of twitching.

Mick

Especially when they tried to bury you

...During the season, is it just Sunday they are out in this number?

From my experience elsewhere in France, it is Sunday - plus one other day of the week that can vary from village to village. You need to check with the relevant Mairie to find out which day it is in their commune.

Angela

Mick

Nice idea Mick. I think the dogs would struggle to pick me up and take me back to the shooter though.

I've never seen the French countryside so covered in hunters as this year. It was the first day of the season and interest does wane a bit after October. No sign of the credit crunch hitting 12 bore sales.

John

You could always up the ante with an 18lbr over open sights!

Glad you got away with it John.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel. I'll get a tow bar fitted to my van immediately! :lol:

Johm

My wife and I were once showered with spent shot gun pellets near Mansel Copse one October. Thankfully it was raining and we had our hoods up. Assuming they were near enough to hear I doubt whether the hunters concerned would have mistaken the tone of my comments even if the words were foreign to them.

What is the French for Get orf moi land?

post-6673-1254170922.jpg

After a couple of minutes walking I heard two shots from the group. I immediately looked at them and two hunters were lowering their guns. which were pointed in my direction.

I'll bet that they had heard a loud "Kwak" from your direction....

John

Glad you're still here to tell the tale! Let me get you a drink whilst you recover. I always wear a hi-vis when entering woods, and if the hunters are around (Autumn) I go and talk to them before going. In the Limousin, Sunday is always a hunt day, and depending on the numbers of vermin sought, they can be out on a Saturday.

The answer: join them!

I'll bet that they had heard a loud "Kwak" from your direction....

If only. I did smile actually. I think I sussed their game immediatedly. I could have done with one later though! :D

John

John

Glad you're still here to tell the tale! Let me get you a drink whilst you recover. I always wear a hi-vis when entering woods, and if the hunters are around (Autumn) I go and talk to them before going. In the Limousin, Sunday is always a hunt day, and depending on the numbers of vermin sought, they can be out on a Saturday.

The answer: join them!

Hi Geraint. Thank you for your kind comment. Yes the high vis is essential in woods, but talking to the hunters is just as good advice. In France, in season Sundays in the main hunting day but Monday to Saturday evenings are also popular. Frankly I'd never go in woods in the hunting season as it's not just the bird hunters who are a risk, in woods, it's the Sanglier hunters and they use full bore rifles. One of my neighbours in France shot one a couple of years ago and it was massive.

I'll have that Kwak now!

John

Next time, wear your overcoat.

1zpmn45.jpg

To quote someone else 'I've got to get me one of those!'.

John

John for future reference if you encounter shooters who shoot with more accuracy - what would be your wishes for your collection, obviously i'm more than willing to look after it for you.

Mick

John for future reference if you encounter shooters who shoot with more accuracy - what would be your wishes for your collection, obviously i'm more than willing to look after it for you.

Mick

Mick

You are so kind. Is your house big enough? You know that warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Arc......

John

French hunters are notoriously trigger happy (but so are all hunters).

In the South of France last year a grandfather shot and killed his grandson. His excuse was that 'I told him not to move'. He had heard a noise and shot at it!

In my own village a few years ago a woman was jogging on a public footpath during the week in daylight when she was shot by a rifle and badly wounded. The 'hunter' must have known what had happened, but he just disappeared (everyone knows who he was, but there was no evidence - a judge). The woman had to crawl nearly a kilometre to the nearest house. It was where I have a licence to collect firewood which gave some pause.

Some years ago I was warned by my local commune about taking Scouts on an evening exercise in the forest as 'the hunters will be out and shoot at a noise without looking'.

In Belgium they are continually shooting at anything and even hit cars on the road as they fire across! (this happened to someone I know and the police just shrugged). I know a region head of gamekeepers and he told me that even he has no idea when these people will be out or what they will be doing. They simply ignore all the laws and threaten anyone who argues (including him) although he said that he would go along later with the heavy mob and confiscate rifles (which they do have the power to do).

BEWARE

• Admin

I was in Heilly Station cemetery once during the chasse and dead and winged birds were landing in the cemetery.

Michelle

Mick

You are so kind. Is your house big enough? You know that warehouse at the end of Indiana Jones and the Raider of the Lost Arc......

John

I've been saving the space for the airship but i'm willing to shove it in a corner.

Mick