Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morayshire Roll of Honour look up please

specialk

Betty: I own a copy of the Morayshire Roll of Honour what names would you looked up? Dick Flory

Betty: I own a copy of the Morayshire Roll of Honour what names would you looked up? Dick Flory

Hi

Thanks for replying.

The people I am interested in are David Cox Catto, date of death 15th June 1915, John Catto, 7th September 1917 and James Catto 29th December 1917. All Seaforth Highlanders and parents address 101 South Street, Elgin.

There were three other brothers serving in the forces but they survived. I believe the roll of honour also includes the people who survived if that is true would you mind looking them up.

I have newspaper extracts, medal cards, CWGC and entry and photo of war memorial in Elgin. I mention this in case anybody tries to find them.

What I don't know is their involvement in the war.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Betty

From page 55 of Moray R of H

- Catto, David Cox. No.1701 Pte 4th and 6th Seaforths, born at Inchstellie, Alves, 1st Jan 1886; joined at Elgin, 6th August 1914; served in France, killed at Festubert, France, 15th June 1915. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin, and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, auctioneer, cabinetmaker and upholsterer.

- Catto, James. No.265022, Coy. S.M 2/6th Seaforth Highlanders, attached 2/2nd King's African Rifles, born at Elgin 11th Sept 1888; joined at Elgin 3rd Feb 1905; served in German East Africa; died at Nanda; awarded Territorial Force Efficiency medal. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin, and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, cabinetmaker .

Stuart

Hi

Thanks for replying.

The people I am interested in are David Cox Catto, date of death 15th June 1915, John Catto, 7th September 1917 and James Catto 29th December 1917. All Seaforth Highlanders and parents address 101 South Street, Elgin.

There were three other brothers serving in the forces but they survived. I believe the roll of honour also includes the people who survived if that is true would you mind looking them up.

I have newspaper extracts, medal cards, CWGC and entry and photo of war memorial in Elgin. I mention this in case anybody tries to find them.

What I don't know is their involvement in the war.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Betty

David Cox Catto

No. 1701, Pte, 4th and 6th Seaforths, born at Inchstellie, Alves, 1st Jan 1886. Joined at Elgin. 6th August 1914, served in France, killed at Festubert, France, 15th June 1915. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin, and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, Auctioneer, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer.

John Catto,

No. 203668, Pte. 1-6th. Seaforths, born at Elgin19th February 1893, joined at Elgin 9th February 1917, served in France, died of wounds at 47 Casualty Clearing Station, France, 7th September 1917. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin. and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, Furniture Salesman.

James Catto

No. 265022, Coy. S.M., 2-6th Seaforth Highlanders, attached 2-2nd King's African Rifles, born at Elgin 11th September 1888, joined at Elgin 3rd February 1905. Served in German East Africa, died at Nanda, awarded Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Son of James and Isabella Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin. Occupation, Cabinetmaker.

Two others are mentioned who survived the war, namely Albert Stewart Catto and Charles Catto, both of 101 South Street. There are another three with the Catto surname but not born to James or Isabella Catto or connected with 101 South Street. Their names are Adam Charles Catto, William Alexander Catto and James Taylor Catto.

David Cox Catto

No. 1701, Pte, 4th and 6th Seaforths, born at Inchstellie, Alves, 1st Jan 1886. Joined at Elgin. 6th August 1914, served in France, killed at Festubert, France, 15th June 1915. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin, and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, Auctioneer, Cabinetmaker and Upholsterer.

John Catto,

No. 203668, Pte. 1-6th. Seaforths, born at Elgin19th February 1893, joined at Elgin 9th February 1917, served in France, died of wounds at 47 Casualty Clearing Station, France, 7th September 1917. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin. and Isabella Stewart or Catto. Occupation, Furniture Salesman.

James Catto

No. 265022, Coy. S.M., 2-6th Seaforth Highlanders, attached 2-2nd King's African Rifles, born at Elgin 11th September 1888, joined at Elgin 3rd February 1905. Served in German East Africa, died at Nanda, awarded Territorial Force Efficiency Medal. Son of James and Isabella Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin. Occupation, Cabinetmaker.

Two others are mentioned who survived the war, namely Albert Stewart Catto and Charles Catto, both of 101 South Street. There are another three with the Catto surname but not born to James or Isabella Catto or connected with 101 South Street. Their names are Adam Charles Catto, William Alexander Catto and James Taylor Catto.

Brilliant. Thanks for giving me the entries in the Roll of Honour. There is more information than I expected, which is brilliant.

Is there any info on the two brothers Albert and Charles.

Thanks again

Betty

Again page 55 -

- Catto, Albert Stewart. No.265210, Pte 1/6th Seaforths; born at Elgin 14th Sept 1898; joined at Elgin 10th Feb 1913; served in France. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin and Isabella Stewart. Occupation, apprentice to cabinetmaker.

- Catto, Charles. No. 265207, Pte 1/6th Seaforths; born at Elgin 23rd Dec 1896; joined at Elgin 6th Feb 1913; served in France. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin and Isabella Stewart. Occupation, furniture salesman.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Would it be possible for you to check the Morayshire Roll of Honour for me? My great grandfather served with the 6th Seaforth Highlanders and won the Military Medal at Beaumont Hamel in November 1916. I would be really grateful if you could see if he is mentioned.

James Watt

Service number 607 or 1607 (differs on MiC and MM award)

Thanks in anticipation

Patrick

'The Spirit of the Troops is Excellent' - 6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders in the Great War.

D. Bird

Page 108 mentions the award of MM to J. Watt, and others, for bravery in the fighting at Beaumont Hamel.

Again page 55 -

- Catto, Albert Stewart. No.265210, Pte 1/6th Seaforths; born at Elgin 14th Sept 1898; joined at Elgin 10th Feb 1913; served in France. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin and Isabella Stewart. Occupation, apprentice to cabinetmaker.

- Catto, Charles. No. 265207, Pte 1/6th Seaforths; born at Elgin 23rd Dec 1896; joined at Elgin 6th Feb 1913; served in France. Son of James Catto, 101 South Street, Elgin and Isabella Stewart. Occupation, furniture salesman.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Thanks for the two entries from the Morayshire Roll of Honour. That is brilliant.

Thanks for your time

Betty

Thanks anyway.

All the best

Patrick

Hi there

Thanks for looking but its not him, I'm afraid. My great grandfather James Watt was born on 16 August 1893 at Cantraydone in Croy.

Thanks anyway

Patrick

• 2 years later...

Thanks to another forum member (Peter Anderson) I now understand that there should be an entry in the Morayshire Roll Of Honour for a Corporal Alexander Grant (Beds Regiment 266273). Whilst he originated from the Grantown On Spey area he had ended up living a few miles up the road from me, in Dunstable, Bedfordshire, by 1918.

Would anyone who has access to the Morayshire Roll Of Honour please let me know what the entry for this casualty says about him.

He was born on the 12th August 1887 near to Grantown On Spey.

I understand that he died on the 23rd August 1918 whilst serving with the Bedfordshire Regiment.

With thanks in advance for any help received.

Simon

Simon

Here is his entry in the roll, page 149 -

Grant, Alexamder. No.266273. Cpl; 1st Hertfordshire Regt; born at Heathfield, Grantown-on-Spey August 12th 1887; joined at Hertford, Dec 14th 1914; served in France and Italy; killed in action at Achiet-le-Petit, August 23rd 1918. Son of Alexander and Jessie Grant, Pityoulish, Aviemore. Occupation, chaffeur.

Stuart

Stuart,

That's excellent - very many thanks for doing that - it's much appreciated and helps my research greatly.

What a wonderfully far sighted decision it was when they chose to create this record back in 1921.

Simon