Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC POWs

speake

I thought the forum would like to see this image. It was taken at Karlsruhe, Baden Germany on 18 January 1918. The man with his arm in a cast is Lt. T.H Wickett, whom I have already posted on. According to the signs at the back row, the one on the left is named hamilton, the one on the right is Owen. Any idea or record of who was held at this place at this time? If the members would like, i can also post the letter he got from George V when he was released.

post-45297-1254148973.jpg

Sean.

That's a cracking photograph, sorry I can't assist with any information. Have you checked "Behind the Wire" on the Long Long Trail?

Regards

John

I can only think of a long laborious slog through the Cox and Kings' list of officers in captivity. "List of British Officers Taken Into Captivity 1914 to Nov. 1918 Compiled by the War Office from the records of Messrs Cox and King's" I think Naval and Military Press - who republished it in the first place - have recently 're-republished' it. But IIRC it doesn't list location of incarceration.

I can only think of a long laborious slog through the Cox and Kings' list of officers in captivity. "List of British Officers Taken Into Captivity 1914 to Nov. 1918 Compiled by the War Office from the records of Messrs Cox and King's" I think Naval and Military Press - who republished it in the first place - have recently 're-republished' it. But IIRC it doesn't list location of incarceration.

Looks like a slog is in order... sometime

Sean

You probably have Wickett's details but here they are again:

Lt T H Wickett, mising 10.5.17, repatriated 3.6.18

I have found a couple of Hamilton's who were captured prior to 18.1.18:

2/Lt H D Hamilton, posted missing 6.4.17, repatriated 1.1.19

Lt. W. N. Hamilton was posted as missing 29.4.17 and repatriated on 1.1.19.

I have found a couple of Owen's

Sub-Lt. H. W. Owen, posted missing 28.3.17 and repatriated 14.1.19.

Capt D. Owen posted missing 21.10.17, interned in Holland 30.4.18 and repatriated 16.8.18

All the information comes from Cox and Cos. Officer POW list.

Regards

Steve

Sean

You probably have Wickett's details but here they are again:

Lt T H Wickett, mising 10.5.17, repatriated 3.6.18

I have found a couple of Hamilton's who were captured prior to 18.1.18:

2/Lt H D Hamilton, posted missing 6.4.17, repatriated 1.1.19

Lt. W. N. Hamilton was posted as missing 29.4.17 and repatriated on 1.1.19.

I have found a couple of Owen's

Sub-Lt. H. W. Owen, posted missing 28.3.17 and repatriated 14.1.19.

Capt D. Owen posted missing 21.10.17, interned in Holland 30.4.18 and repatriated 16.8.18

All the information comes from Cox and Cos. Officer POW list.

Regards

Steve

Excellent work. Thanks. Now how does one determine what camps they were in?

Excellent photo. I can confirm that the chap with the cast is Thomas Haldane Wickett of Hamilton Ontario. He served with 66 Squadron RFC and was shot down on 10 May 1917 by Lothar von Richthofen whilst flying Sopwith Pup A6178. He was was repatriated on 4 June 1918 to Boston, Lincolnshire, he died in 1975.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

Excellent photo. I can confirm that the chap with the cast is Thomas Haldane Wickett of Hamilton Ontario. He served with 66 Squadron RFC and was shot down on 10 May 1917 by Lothar von Richthofen whilst flying Sopwith Pup A6178. He was was repatriated on 4 June 1918 to Boston, Lincolnshire, he died in 1975.

john_g

www.66squadron.co.uk

How do you know him?