Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Good luck to old Ted

1690philip

Just wanted to show a bit of support to a forum pal on his new adventure of tour guiding around the Battlefields.

Good luck John and I am sure you will do well as Teddy highly recommends you.

Regards,

Phil

Good Luck. Our tour guide in 2004 was a chap called Clive Harris and his passion, interest and commitment shone through at all times. The Bus driver and his wife became WW1 converts too, even though they thought they were on a 'normal' tour. I'm sure our 'Old Ted' will offer the same Qualities.

Phil.

Good luck, John. I hope it turns out to be fulfilling and lucrative for you.

I've met a fair number of tour guides and observed quite a few in action. Most are enthusiastic and knowledgeable and I am sure their clients get good value. The only exception was a young fellow I saw at La Cambe in Normandy. A more monotone, unengaging and flawed presentation it would be difficult to find. I think he was from one the several "D Day in a day" type tours you can get in the area.

Thank you all for your valued support. It is very much appreciated. The only change I'm making is to offer my services to people other than family and friends. As many of you know I've been "doing it" for years. Most of you know where I live so please give me a knock if your passing. Can't beat a chinwag with likeminded folk.

(I hope the Mods do not consider this thread as being in contravention of the forum rules).

Regards

John

John shall be on the Somme 15th-19th oct with a group of 6 friends staying at Avrils say hello if you see abig ugly bearded bloke with small party in tow and best of luck. Will we see you at the GBG agm some time? besy wishes SG

John,

Good luck with the venture - I'm sure your guidance will be well received.

We are over from 23rd October for a week, so we'll call and say hello.

Ken

The only exception was a young fellow I saw at La Cambe in Normandy. A more monotone, unengaging and flawed presentation it would be difficult to find. I think he was from one the several "D Day in a day" type tours you can get in the area.

I shop at Sainte Mère église market on a Thursday morning and regularly see bored looking groups of visitors standing round a 'Guide' who is holding up a plastic booklet .

Initially I thought it was someone selling something on the market.

However the worst I have ever witnessed was on 11/11/2008 at Tynecot.

A group alighted from a coach and assembled around their 'Guide', this is what he said;

"If you want to know what happened here , it was quite simple really"

"They were over there , and we were over here , now, who wants a nice cup of coffee?"

With that, they all got back on their coach and drove away.

I am still speechless to this day.

Gill