Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

19th London Regiment at High Wood

pressgang1972

My grandfather, Cp; TW Storey, served in the 1/19th London Regiment from 1914-1917. He won an MM in 1916, presumably during the action at High Wood on 15th September 1916. The battalion war diary notes his award in Oct 1916 and the award appeared in the London Gazette in December 1916. I am now looking for the circumstances of the award, given the citations have been lost. I understand there were accounts collected by the Old Comrades association of the Regiment that might give some more background information.

Regards

Iain Storey

I've just purchased a trio to a Private John Collett Chalmers of 1st/15th Bn London regiment KIA 15/09/16 at High Wood!

Not done any research on it yet. Be interesting to know if the action that killed Chalmers was where your Granddad won the MM.

Glenn.

Glenn,

1/15th were in the next brigade along, the 140th in the same division (47th) at High Wood in September 1916. I haven't done much research yet on the wider battle, but I'm sure others have! Good luck with yur search.

Regards

Iain

Iain,

Charles Fair is the resident expert on the 19th, Both the 1st and 2nd. Try dropping him a PM and see what come off.

Cheers Andy.

Good luck to you too Iain. I've only just found my way here but there's such a wealth of knowledge and a really helpful group of people.

All the best,

Glenn.

A cracking read is Terry Normans "The Hell they called High Wood".My Gt.Uncle Rfn Jack Ford of the 17th Londons was KIA at High Wood 15.09.16,and his widow Rose went on to re marry a Man called Storey !.

I already have the book on order, so will read it next week. There was at least one other Storey in the 1/19th, though he was no relation.

Regards

Iain

I am just bringing this to the top of the page as I have a feeling Charles Fair will be logging in shortly for the first time in several days and will hopefully see this.

Iain - just logging in for the first time in ages. I can respond in a little more detail, but wont get to it for a few days. Meanwhile I have the war diaries and can email them to you.

Charles

Charles, would it be possible to email me a copy of the war diaries too?

Many thanks,

Glenn R.

Charles,

Thanks very much for getting in contact. I can't send you a message directly (too junior), but if you send me one, I'll give you my e-mail address.

Regards

Iain