Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where can I look?

wizard2250

I am researching Private Patrick J. Boland #1601, Royal Newfoundland Regiment. His attestation paper shows that, prior to enlisting with the R Nfld R, he was a Lance Corporal with the Royal Canadian Regiment. I am lost in finding any way to access RCR archives for more information. Pat has become somewhat of a mystery as to where he was born and where he lived. Please, can someone offer me a direction? I have his service records for WW1 and I know his parents were Michael and Bridget but even his death during the war is mis-recorded. ( A big thank you to Piorun who is checking into this! )

In a previous post I wondered why he never re-enlisted with the RCR....unless it was because he was born in Newfoundland and this required becoming a RNR soldier....something I cannot discover!

I hope this post falls within the requiements of this Topic area and I apologize and understand if the Mods move or delete it.

Thank You to all,

shawn

The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum has a ledger (Army Book 358) which includes details of soldiers who served in the Regiment before the First World War. Try contacting the Museum, Mr Claus Breede at Breede.C@forces.gc.ca.

If you don't get a response within a reasonable time (which has been known to occur with him), try contacting the Regimental Adjutant, Capt Tim Robinson, robinson.tje@forces.gc.ca. Tell him you've tried the Curator directly and ask him to relay the message for you.

Try contacting the Museum, Mr Claus Breede at Breede.C@forces.gc.ca.

regimentalrogue,

Thank You...The reason I looked for help is that mail sent to this e-mail comes back undelivered....maybe a RCR problem. I will try your alternate route. Thank You again,

shawn

But he was born in St John's?

I can find no reference to birthplace...only that he was married in 1907 in Nova Scotia. That's as far back as I can get. There is no record of birthplace on any of his service papers. Any clues?

thanks,

shawn

regimentalrogue,

Thank You...The reason I looked for help is that mail sent to this e-mail comes back undelivered....maybe a RCR problem. I will try your alternate route. Thank You again,

shawn

Ah, could be a problem with recent changes to the Canadian military mail system, and it looks like the regimental website hasn't been updated.

Try these addresses:

claus.breede@forces.gc.ca

TIMOTHY.ROBINSON@forces.gc.ca