Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last post ceremony Menin Gate

Teresa in Wirral

Hi can anyone tell me how long the Last Post ceremony lasts?

Trying to organise a trip while we are in France in April 2010.

Either drive up for the day from where we are staying near Amiens

OR

Go to Ypres on last day on a roundabout route to catching ferry in Calais and catch a late 11pm? ferry.

Any suggestions?

Teresa

Teresa. How long is a piece of string? Had the honour of reading the exhortation a couple of years ago and the ceremony lasted about 30-35 minutes due to the number of wreaths being laid, on the other side of the coin I have seen the ceremony last about 10-15 minutes dependent on the time of the year and/or special anniversaries. Member Soren will give you a better idea he attends every evening to the best of my knowledge. Ralph.

Teresa as above I would guess the average is about 30-45 minutes depending on wether anyone is parading and how many wreaths are to be laid. If you allowed an hour up till 9pm then Calais is another hour, allowing for need to book in an hour ahead your plan of an 11 pm ferry would seem perfectly feasable. SG

Hi Ralph and SG

thank you for your replies.

I've decided that we'll make a separate day of going to Ypres as I'd originally planned.

Was toying with the idea of going there then catching a late ferry from Calais but husband has

to go to York the day after and it would be too much late driving for him as we then have to get

from Dover to the Wirral then York with three teenagers in tow.

At least I can tell the grumpy ones it will be 20-45 minutes.

Teresa

I (living near Ypres) would certainly say that the average is less than a quarter of an hour. And that 5 minutes or so is certainly not exceptional. Depending of course on what prominents are present, how many wreaths, on the time of the year.

Aurel