Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Facially disfigured men of the Great War

Chris_Baker

Kerry Neale, a PhD student at the University of New South wales, is appealing for information concerning men who were treated for facial disfigurement during and after the war. She is examining the experience of the men and the surgeons who treated them. The Queen Mary's Hospital at Sidcup treated more than 5000 such cases. Any diaries, letters, photographs or other material are of interest.

You can contact Kerry by emailing her at kerry.neale @ student.adfa.edu.au. (Remove the spaces each side of the @). If you can contribute, you will be sent an information pack which will include a consent form from UNSW Ethics Committee. This pack will outline how the material will be handled and you will have the option to remain anonymous and to keep the servicemen's details anonymous too.

Chris, she should contact the Welcome Trust in London. They recently had an exhibition on medicine and war, which included lots of information on this subject, as well as some movies, if I remember rightly. I am sure their archives contain lots of information on the subject. At least they could refer her to other sources. Doc

If Kerry signs up to the Great War forum I'm sure she will find that members on here will be all too happy to help - there's a wealth of expertise on here.