Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Campaign for War Museum in Ireland

David McCallion

Hello Lads, I am new to this forum stuff so i will keep it simple (wise move i think haha)

Please support me in my cause to open a War Museum here in the NORTH

I need to show the powers to be the need for a museum to educate young and old using the hands on approach to history

I have always believed the power of the people and word of mouth can move mountains and things can change

we as an irish nation have been fighting in every major battle since time began

the irish regiments were some of the best in the world and hold so many battle honours i wont insult your intelligence by trying to list them

the military honours won on the battlefiled by individuals are second to none never mind the human sacrifice lost on the homefront during the blitz

Please take a look at the website www.waryearsremembered.co.uk (and sign the guest book please)

and see the ground work i have already done

as kitchener said i need you, your support, your views, your help and advice

i know this would work if only i can get it of the ground are school kids are going across the water to the IWM and the likes of Eden camp to learn what life was like during the Belfast Blitz never mind the countless visits to museums on the mainland to learn about the Great War

Support the cause we should be doing it on our own soil and i have nothing against the museums across the water i visit them when i can and advise you to do so too

lest we forget

Davey big ears ohppps did it again i mean war years lol :D

This is your URL, it's mistyped above:

http://www.waryearsremembered.co.uk/

I must say that sites with embedded music wind me up a bit; how about some javascript with a volume control?

Looks like an interesting project, however, and I am sure members of the WW2 Forum would be interested to know about it.

Thank you Paul I will speak to the guy who helps me with my website and ask him to implement your suggestions and thanks im very tired just home from staying on site with my exhibition in north belfast it was a huge sucess with the schools and the elderely

thank you Davey

Thank you Paul I will speak to the guy who helps me with my website and ask him to implement your suggestions and thanks im very tired just home from staying on site with my exhibition in north belfast it was a huge sucess with the schools and the elderely

thank you Davey

Any other thoughts would be appreciated too

I have stuff back to the 1700s a fair bit of WW1 kit and mannequins but the major bulk is WW2 how do i post on the WW2 forum

cheers Davey

Davey - no problem with support my end .. any press help I can give is yours.

Des

Davey

What time is your exhibition on at Fullerton Pavillion in Dunmurry? Its just round the corner from my house. Best of Luck with the campaign for a permanent museum.

Glen

Davey - no problem with support my end .. any press help I can give is yours.

Des

Hello Desy thanks mate appreciated you know im going to be on display for wo months in the braid

Davey

What time is your exhibition on at Fullerton Pavillion in Dunmurry? Its just round the corner from my house. Best of Luck with the campaign for a permanent museum.

Glen

9 to 5 with schools in daily 9 to 3 and 7 to 9 at night please introduce your self glen and thanks for your support mate

Thanks Davey

Will call round and introduce myself

Regards Glen

no problem see you there mate

Ok guys I know you all our good at what you do on the research side of things can you help me out

can you find any information on the following your wisdom and help would be appreciated

7012981 Rfn William White Royal Ulster Rifles home 8 Upper Mervue Street Belfast grandad

5772633 LCpl Samuel Whyte 2nd Bn Norfolk Regiment great uncle and brother of William

g1725 Pte David McCallion Royal Irish Fusiliers grandad born in 1893

I believe from Ballymena I think some one showed me his signature and my great grandfathers on the covenant at a presbertyian church in Ballymena

56571 Pte Willam McCready Hampshire Regiment lived in Belfast wifes grandfather

Also after reading the article Mark gave me in Ballysillan

It shows me that great grandfather Samuel White who served in WW1 and was wounded in 1917

this is all new to me and that on the day before Samuel was reported missing in Dunkirk another cousin of his was reported missing and four other cousins were in the BEF

I have added the article from the Belfast Telegraph dated 26th June 1940 on the about me page on the website

I know that the information is sketchy but I know you guys are the experts at tracing information and would be greatfull of any information to add to the family history my mum cried when I showed her the article in the Tele thanks again Mark

I wait anxiously to see what other skeletons are in the cupboard

cheers Davey

www.waryearsremembered.co.uk

Davy,

Not trying to throw water on you idea but does Belfast not have two museums one in Warring street (Ulster Rifles) and the other in Talbot and that is not including the main museum at Strandmillis and of course the Somme Centre.

Regards,

Phil

Davy,

Not trying to throw water on you idea but does Belfast not have two museums one in Warring street (Ulster Rifles) and the other in Talbot and that is not including the main museum at Strandmillis and of course the Somme Centre.

Regards,

Phil

Yes Phil but we do not have a specific War Museum

i/e have you looked at my website and seen the type of exhibition we have done see Ballyclare see press at links ref Belfast Telegraph

I have nothing against the above museums but they dont deliver what the people want if you ask me they should combine all of them and make one History of the Irish Soldier Museum

People want to see scenes uniforms on mannequins vehicles as well as an internet search centre so people can search mic swb soldiers records etc

Talbot Street is smaller with little on display and John Potter has done a great job with what was available to him

Waring Street RUR Museum also small place mostlty regimental silver and medals on display and i must commend Terence Nelson on a cracker job he is almost singley handed running the place at th moment

Enniskilling run by Jack Dunlop and Armagh run by Ammanda Moreno also do a great job and as with the county museums and the collections they have relating to the county militias and the colection of irish calvary history that use to be in carrick castle which i believe went to england

Somme Centre a brillant walk through talk through which could be expanded but the collection on display is poor i have more in my back room on show and i am led to believe the place can not be expanded due to being built very close to lead minds and i know Carol Walker and her team do a great job there

and ref the Strandmillis Tom Wylie was the military historian there but the displays havent changed since i was a lad i know they have a huge collection lets hope when they open the doors next month some of the 17 million refurb money was spent on WW1 and WW2 displays and before

Bring it all to gether and have or own war museum we as a nation have alot to be proud of on this isle

cheers davey

www.waryearsremembered.co.uk

Just wanted to say thanks to those that attended the opening of the event in dunmurray yesterday and the kind words and support given

event will close at 3pm on wednesday 7th October 2009. Thank you again Davey

Went into the exhibition in Dunmurry. The effort put into the displays was impressive and the enthusiasm of Davey was infectious. I watched him entertain two teenage boys (and myself) allowing them to handle the exhibits and captivating their interest for about 20 minutes. This is a terrific example of how history can be put across to young people.

I hope he finds a permanent site for his collection.

Glen

• 3 weeks later...

Glen thank you for your kind words it is appreciated makes all the work worth while

was a pleasure to meet you as well and hope to see you at one of the next exhibitions

yours Davey

• 8 months later...

Hello Guys n Gals

Didnt want this thread to go dead

Can you please once you have visited the website www.waryearsremembered.co.uk leave a comment in the guest book

Since last post

I have met with Nelson McCausland our culture minister / Mary McAlease / Nigel Dodds / Dianne Dodds etc

the collection as grown massively

the information has grown not just on my own family history but from the amount of people I have met over the past while including our veterans

I have also completed more school work than in previous years and with a huge response from those attending

I have completed the longest exhibition ever over 6 weeks in Ballymena with final figures now in from the museum of 6975 people attending the event a huge sucess for Ballymena Museum more than they have ever had for any exhibition before

I have also had a serious offer for a museum sadly it is by another government in another country 3 years ago I had a similar offer and turned it down as I did not want our heritage to go out of our country

But I am now seriously considering the offer

I have just been informed that we are losing two of our museums to another county which I dont want to discuss on the forum

The museum after the 17 million pound refurb has not covered WW1 or 2

I am affraid that we will lose this important piece of our history if something is done about it soon

I have attend more WW2 VETERANS funerals in the last year than in previous years and in my own town since the event at ASDA we have gone from 7 to 2 soon just like the 1st war vets disappeared our ww2 vets our now becoming extinct

If any body can think of a way to help I would be glad to hear about it no matter how daft it sounds I am willing to try any thing to preserve what is left before it is to late

please drop me a line

thank you for your support

Davey