Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Required Please !

1st_east_yorks

Hi Pals,

I am currently writing an article for a local publication, that I need to finish soon!! (Publication for armistice day.)

It relates to the 8th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders, but specifically to the death of Captain John Currie Lauder (Harry Lauder's son) at Poiziers in 1916.

I have searched on google , Wikipedia but all searches seem to come back to Harry Lauder, rather than concentrating on his son John and his role in ww1.

I have also looked on the long long trail but found nothing relating to him specifically.

Do any of you pals have any links or other information relative to this battalion on that day and anything specific to Captain John Currie Lauder?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean.

There is some information, and a lot of good photographs here

Will see if can find anything else. Have read ' somewhere ' that he was a bit of a martinet, and not well liked by his men, but am not sure if that is at all accurate. Am yet to be convinced of the 'fragging ' theory.

Cheers Mike

Thank you for your replies Mike, much appreciated. I will follow the links you have sent.

Unfortunately, I think your war diaries are too early to tell this story. If I could find the war diary for Nov/Dec 1916 it would put more "meat on the bone" as to what the battalion were doing there at the time and thier objectives, etc.

There is definately a "fragging" theory surrounding his demise , but as you have stated, I cannot substantiate that, although it was something that I wanted to add to the piece as an interesting aside.

If you think of any other related items, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Sean.

You could also contact the museum. They hold the Bn diaries. I just contacted them, and found them very helpful. I think a donation is expected, and it may take a while to get the documents, but I think that's your best move.

http://www.s1play.com/venue/stirling/argyl...landers-museum/

One more thing; Again I cannot remember details, I read that the theory of his being murdered by his own men, appears i n a book written by some woman. Sorry no idea of her name, or title of the ( fictional ) book.

Cheers Mike

Thanks again Mike.

Have called the museum in Stirling and spoke to a very nice (!!) young lady.

She explained that I cannot "buy" copies of the war diary and would either need to see the originals in the museum or down in Kew.

As I live in Birmingham, both are a long trek!

However, she very kindly read some excerpts from the diary to me over the phone to help with my research. (Unfortunatley the info is limited.)

Thanks,

Sean.

• 4 years later...

Hi folks, I'm new to this forum, I'm researching my granddads exploits, got really interested when I started taking groups of schoolkids to Ypres and the Somme a few years ago (heading back in 2 weeks time!!).

Anyway to cut to the chase, I always thought he was in 1/7th Argylls, coming from Stirling that seemed to make sense, however last night I happened to read the inscription on his MM which has 1/8 A&SH service number was S/13227. I'd really like to find out what he did to gain the MM. unfortunately he died when I was serving in the RN and never has a chance to ask him.

I live near Stirling so a jaunt up to the castle would be no problem, in fact I know many of the museum staff as my mother worked in the Argylls RHQ for 35 years, but even she was unable to find out anything about my granddad.

So where do I start? any suggestions welcome

First - don't add a new query to an existing topic.

Second read here http://www.1914-1918.net/soldiers/research.html

That guide will give you most of what you need to do your research.

If you need help after that, start a new topic in the Soldiers section with your grandfathers mane regt and number, adding the regiment as a tag. Explain what you have discovered, and what further help you need - you'll get it here.

Welcome to the forum

Keith