Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Clarence William Trotter, 15240.

Chris Noble

Hi.

One of them 'funny' things.

Talking with a chap at work who is having an Aunty visit this weekend who is in her 90 plus years.

The topic came up of this chap, Pte. C.W. Trotter, 15240, Lincolns, posted to France 1/6/15.

Which battalion?

Shot through the jaw, when, i don't know. SWB awarded.

Any ideas Pals?

Kindest regards.

Chris.

David

There must be another card for the SWB details ?

Chris

You could get someone to do a look up at Kew in the WO329 Original Medal Roll,which will say which Bn he was in when he became entitled to the Medals. The letters and numbers against the medl issues in the MIC are key to this.

Sotonmate

There must be another card for the SWB details ?

SWB details are on the card David's posted, "SWB F/416". Equates to WO329/3052 at Kew.

Regards

Steve

Chris,

Like David states Trotter would have enlisted in Feb 1915, most likely during the first week.

As for battalion, I say 2nd Lincs. (the only choices for a 1 Jun 1915 entrant, other than TF, are 1st and 2nd Lincs). This is based upon reviewing battalion information of 47 men with the same date of entry. I have identified "original battalion" on just over 30 of them, all 2nd Lincs.

I do have the VM/BWM roll on CD-Rom somewhere, as do several other forum members so don't waste your money. If no one else if able to check, I'll dig around and check. Also have "somewhere" the 1914-15 Star Roll, will will give date of discharge.

Jim

Chris

Below is his SWB roll entry which gives you enlistment date, date of discharge due to wounds and his SWB number. Like Jim i have the Lincs medal rolls on CD but unfortunately my CD drive is not working at present, but i would totally concur with Jim that your man would have initially gone to the 2nd Lincs.

post-1012-1253874126.jpg

Chris

Well done you two!

Have just checked the W&V roll and he's recorded as 2nd Lincs only.

15 Star roll gives, 1/6/15(1) date of embarkation and 19/10/17 Discharge.

Steve.

Wow chaps!

What can i say?

Many thanks indeed to all. Very little is known about this chap in his family as he never talked about his experiences in the War. They will be ever so pleased.

I will pass on the compliments of the Great War Forum.

Kindest regards to all.

Chris.

Chris,

How are you?

If you would like copies of the documents, please don't hesitate to ask,

Steve.