Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"help re. 15th Sherwoods 14/10/1918" Where is Cabin/Cable Co

freyyer

Hi Everyone

I am making a trip next month to Belgium to try and find out where if possible my relative was kia on the 14th October 1918. He was with the 15th Btl Sherwood Foresters as the war diary states on the Vietwegen Road, south of Dadizeele. It stated that the battalion lost 28 men that day near a place called Cable Copse, but i have also heard it referred to as Cabin Copse. I have tried google earth but can't find any reference to it, would it still exist i don't know. perhaps i'm hoping somebody in that area might.

My Relative was 26640. Pte William Ball who is buried at the Dadizeele New British Cemetery, so a visit will be a must, just wondered if anybody might have any more information or ideas for me to get closer to the point he met his fate.

Kindest Regards

Antony Ball.

I am very sorry to say that all my research material was loaned 'for 6 months' about 5 years ago and has never been returned. It is beyond retrieval I fear. I therefore only have my book. Please PM me, I will make you an offer!

Hi Grumpy

Thanks for that, i already have your book and found it most helfull, i will just have to turn up in the area stated on the 14th in the war diary and hope some kind local may know the whereabouts of Cable/Cabin Copse, if it still exists

Thanks once again

Bob

There is a topic here in which a Belgian resident describes where Cabin Copse was. He says that your word Vietwegen Road is in Vijfwegen Road,a Flemish/Dutch word for Fiveways ,a five way Junction . Here's the link:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/foru...howtopic=103757

Sotonmate

Edit: Oh Dear,I was afraid of that,the link is in "old Money" the invisionzone site. I guess that the topic number (103757) will be the same,so you can try to get that,if not someone here may be able to tell you how to retrieve it,as i haven't done it myself.

You could send BART D.D. a PM and he might be able to help.

Hi Everyone

I am making a trip next month to Belgium to try and find out where if possible my relative was kia on the 14th October 1918. He was with the 15th Btl Sherwood Foresters as the war diary states on the Vietwegen Road, south of Dadizeele. It stated that the battalion lost 28 men that day near a place called Cable Copse, but i have also heard it referred to as Cabin Copse. I have tried google earth but can't find any reference to it, would it still exist i don't know. perhaps i'm hoping somebody in that area might.

My Relative was 26640. Pte William Ball who is buried at the Dadizeele New British Cemetery, so a visit will be a must, just wondered if anybody might have any more information or ideas for me to get closer to the point he met his fate.

Kindest Regards

Antony Ball.

Antony, always ready to help a Forest supporter give me a call i might be able to help you, but have you got this,

12/13th In Support at HALDEN HOUSE.

14th Operations on a larger scale were continued. The Battalion assembled E. and W. of the VIETWEGEN RD at 3 a.m. in rear of the 15th Cheshire Regt. At Zero (05.35 hours) the CHESHIRES advanced with good artillery support. Little opposition was met with and the Battalion passed through the Cheshires at the line of the first objective and continued the advance. Owing to the dense mist directions were extremely difficult to keep. Nearing CABLE COPSE the resistance was stronger and at dusk we had established ourselves on the line running N.E.

15th At dawn the 4th N.Staffs went through our positions, and continued the advance. The Battalion remained in the positions already gained by them.

16th The Battalion was withdrawn to billets about TAMIL FARM.

17th Resting and refitting at TAMIL FARM.

18th The Battalion marched to forward area in support of the 104th Bde who were attacking MARCKE the following morning.

Regards, another super Red.

I have a bit of info and few pics of Dadizeele New British Cemetery on my web site if you fancy a peek....... Click!

Steve.

Bob

There is a topic here in which a Belgian resident describes where Cabin Copse was. He says that your word Vietwegen Road is in Vijfwegen Road,a Flemish/Dutch word for Fiveways ,a five way Junction . Here's the link:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/foru...howtopic=103757

Sotonmate

Edit: Oh Dear,I was afraid of that,the link is in "old Money" the invisionzone site.

This link should work

Alan

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...howtopic=103757

>><<He was with the 15th Btl Sherwood Foresters as the war diary states on the Vietwegen Road, south of Dadizeele. It stated that the battalion lost 28 men that day near a place called Cable Copse, but i have also heard it referred to as Cabin Copse. I have tried google earth but can't find any reference to it, would it still exist i don't know. perhaps i'm hoping somebody in that area might.

My Relative was 26640. Pte William Ball >><<

Bob,

If the war diary does not contain useful maps, you might try looking at the brigade war diary (177th Brigade, I think). Failing that you want to try and see a Trench map which will almost certainly include Cabin and/or Cable Copse with sufficient other detail for you to match it to Google Earth. (Others on this forum helped me identify to about three fields where my Grandfather died see - Wanting to trace Maps VIERSTRAAT area SW of Ypres - Great War Forum)

If no one on this Forum can come up with the Trench Map, a visit to the National Archives should turn it up. It is a bit of a struggle identifying the exact map!

HTH - you may also, whilst reading this thread, want to scroll back up to your original posting, click on the edit button, select Full Edit and then change the title of your thread. "Visit to battlefield help" will attract one sort of forum member. "Help re 15th Sherwoods 14/10/18; Where is Cabin/Cable Copse?", will attract quite a different sort!

David

Just another thank you to everbody that has been good enough to give advise, i will follow up all the information, it would mean a lot to me to get close to his final moments.

Regards

Antony..

I know where Cabin Cops is.

I will look for my old map and sent you a copy of the map.

It is near Moorsele en Wevelgem.

regards,

Bart

Just another thank you to everbody that has been good enough to give advise, i will follow up all the information, it would mean a lot to me to get close to his final moments.

Regards

Antony..

Sent me a PM : ik will mail you a copy of a map + google earth coordinates.

When are you comming to visit the place ? It is 7 minutes driving from my place.

regards,

BArt

Sent me a PM : ik will mail you a copy of a map + google earth coordinates.

When are you comming to visit the place ? It is 7 minutes driving from my place.

regards,

BArt

Hi Bart

Fantastic news, we will be travelling over on the 21st of october till the 26th October, i am new on here and am having problems being able to contact you via PM. Would be fantastic to be able to see Cabin Copse,and the area.

How can i contact you

Best Regards

Antony.

Bart

Can't thank you enough, did try and pm again, but still wouldn't work.

The picture is fantastic it will be more than enough for us to find the spot.

Hope i can repay sometime.

Reagards

Antony.

try to email me.

If I have the time, I will show you the area. It might save you a lot of time.

If you have more details about your trip, let me know.

regards,

Bart

Anthony,

in your first mail you mentioned : "....a place called Cable Copse, but i have also heard it referred to as Cabin Copse..."

I was just looking on an old map, looking for the actions of the NewFoundlanders, when I noticed Cable Copse. Cable Copse (map 28 square L6.c) is situated 5000 yards North of Cabin Copse.

The 9th Division was fighting around Cable Copse on the 14th Oct. 1918 while the 35th Division was was held up around Cabin Copse because of strong enemy resistance and no artillery support. The front line between the 9th and the 35th division was occupied by the 29th and 36th division.

It is, to my opinion, not possible that the 15th Sherwoods lost 28 men in Cable Copse. Even with the thick mist that day, it is not possible to get lost so much. Not one war diary mentioned that the Sherwoods were passing through....

Regards,

Bart

Here is the memorial where John Brasier Sherriff of the 15/Notts & Derbys is commemorated.

DW

post-15564-1254310124.jpg