Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Royal Rifles

stapeley

Can anyone with record access check on my fathers step father please . Army no 8738 was awarded the Military Medal second bar .. But we can not find out any details . His name was Edward Waddington . Unfortunately this medal has been lost , however my father has recently donated his other medals to Winchester Museum. They had a MM that they added to the collection and is now on display as a set at Winchester . Any information would be of great help.

There are two MIC's registered at the TNA for Edward Waddington and E Waddington with the same number, but different rank.

Download from here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;querytype=1

Medal card of Waddington, E

Corps: King's Royal Rifle Corps

Regiment No: 8738

1914-1920 WO 372/23

Medal card of Waddington, Edward

Regards

Phil

stapeley,

L/Cpl Edward WADDINGTON, 8738, was a Regular in 2nd Battalion KRRC.

His Military Medal appears in the KRRC Chronicle with date 03 Oct 1916.

The London Gazette entry is in Issue #29854, page 12053 published on 08 Dec 1916.

The two month gap would suggest Edward won the MM on the earlier date, and there are a dozen 2/KRRC men with MMs listed with the same 03 Oct 1916 date, however 2/KRRC were in billets in the rear during the whole of October, with nothing mentioned that could have seen a large group of MM winners. More likely is the MMs were approved on 03 Oct 1916 and relate to earlier actions.

The battalion was heavily engaged in the first months of The Somme particularly at Pozieres, High Wood and Flers. There are several large Actions where Edward could have earnt his MM.

I'm still looking for his Bar to the MM.

Cheers,

Mark

stapeley,

L/Cpl Edward WADDINGTON, 8738, was a Regular in 2nd Battalion KRRC.

His Military Medal appears in the KRRC Chronicle with date 03 Oct 1916.

The London Gazette entry is in Issue #29854, page 12053 published on 08 Dec 1916.

The two month gap would suggest Edward won the MM on the earlier date, and there are a dozen 2/KRRC men with MMs listed with the same 03 Oct 1916 date, however 2/KRRC were in billets in the rear during the whole of October, with nothing mentioned that could have seen a large group of MM winners. More likely is the MMs were approved on 03 Oct 1916 and relate to earlier actions.

The battalion was heavily engaged in the first months of The Somme particularly at Pozieres, High Wood and Flers. There are several large Actions where Edward could have earnt his MM.

I'm still looking for his Bar to the MM.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for the help . We are pretty sure he was only a private . Also we believe he was wounded in action and suffered ill health due to this . My father is a twin and my Grandfather died in 1943 when they were only 5 .They lived in ARELSEY BEDFORDSHIRE but Edward came from LANCASHIRE and we believe joined the Lancashire regiment . I believe he died in the 50,s when they were around 10. My father mentioned Second Bar ????

There are two MIC's registered at the TNA for Edward Waddington and E Waddington with the same number, but different rank.

Download from here.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;querytype=1

Medal card of Waddington, E

1914-1920 WO 372/23

This is the MIC for his Military Medal, which is not available on Ancestry. WO372/23 contains "Women's Services, Distinguished Conduct Medals and Military Medals".

Waddington had been promoted to Lance Corporal by this stage.

Medal card of Waddington, Edward

reference1914-1920 WO 372/20

Regards

Phil

This is the MIC for Waddington's campaign medals, which is on Ancestry, and has been posted above by other Pals. He was entitled to the trio of 1914-15 Star, British War and Victory medals.

The rank inscribed on the Star would be the rank he held at the commencement of his entitlement - in this case Rifleman or Private.

The other medals would be inscribed with the substantive rank he held at the Armistice.

In Waddington's case, he had been promoted to Lance Corporal by the time he won his MM. However Lance Corporal is an Appointment not a Rank so would not be recorded on the medals.

HTH

CHeers,

Mark

Thanks for the help . We are pretty sure he was only a private . Also we believe he was wounded in action and suffered ill health due to this . My father is a twin and my Grandfather died in 1943 when they were only 5 .They lived in ARELSEY BEDFORDSHIRE but Edward came from LANCASHIRE and we believe joined the Lancashire regiment . I believe he died in the 50,s when they were around 10. My father mentioned Second Bar ????

Well he was a Lance Corporal when he was awarded his first MM:

post-20192-1253663234.jpg

L/Cpl is an Appointment not a Rank though. With no further promotions he would technically still have been a Private at the end of the War.

I have failed to find the Bar to his MM, but the idiosyncracies of the London Gazette search facility make it very difficult to confidently say there isn't one!

I can find no evidence of service in any of the Lancashire regiments. Certainly all his overseas service in the great War was with the KRRC.

His KRRC Service Number of 8738 would normally indicate he was a pre-War Regular soldier.

However he did not embark in France & Flanders until 02 Feb 1915. He did not go out with the battalion in Aug 1914. This might be because he was not fit; or he was occupied at the Rifles Depot with the mobilisation of the new battalions; or he may have remobilised from the Reserves having completed his term of service before the war.

It's possible he may have had pre-War service with another regiment, but in the KRRC's case that would be unusual.

HTH

CHeers,

Mark