Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

75th Division at 3rd Gaza

ddycher

All

Anybody have a good reference to a trenchmap or more detailed view of positions at Gaza at the time of the third battle of Gaza. Got lots of written refs and bits and pieces to pick up positions from but am missing a consolidated picture of where the different positions actuall were.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is a scan of part of a 3rd Gaza trench map that I use to own, unfortunately it is no longer in my collection, but hopefully it might help.

Stuart

post-1036-1253524139.jpg

Stuart

Many thanks - this an immediate help. I was under the view previously that the Maze and the Labyrinth were different names for the same place.

Shows how much I have to learn.

Thanks again.

Dave

All

With the help from Stuart above I am now correcting assumptions made wrt 233rd Bde at the 3rd Gaza. I was confusing the Maze and Labyrinth. Does anybody have anymore detail on these two areas specifically ?

In general I am currently trying to position the 75th Division at the time and would appreciate any input or suggestions. I have amended the title of the thread to better reflect this.

Regards

Dave

Dave,

Not much, but some pointers re the 'parks'

There are some refs to Regents Park in this article

See http://www.bigenealogy.com/5thbattalion/ga...vember_1817.htm

Quote:

No reserve area could compare with Regent's Park. It was situated among the sand hills, on the very edge of the Mediterranean, and when the sun made the atmosphere too hot a medium for comfortable living, the sea was always there. Our bivouac area lay within a mile to the east of the mouth of the great Wadi Ghuzzeh, down which flowed for the last mile or so of its course clear fresh water. This attracted a great variety of birds, including flamingoes and storks, and on the bushes near the wadi were found these wonderfully nimble little green tree frogs. Small fish abounded in the pools; but pools were not popular with the malaria experts and attempts were being made to drain all casual water into one channel, put a little paraffin in the pools that could not be emptied by draining, and so either remove or render ineffective the breeding places of the anophylis mosquito. The day's work lay on the rifle range or in practicing trench-to-trench attacks. There was no enemy artillery-fire to disturb the calmness, and each day gave the same opalescent eastern sky at dawn and the same fast-dropping sun falling below the sea at night. A battalion could really rest at Regent's Park

And refs to St James Park on Steve Fuller's web-site here

See http://www.bedfordregiment.org.uk/5thbtn/5...n1917diary.html

Quote:

7 Oct 1917 - Belah North 0900 Commanding Officer inspected the area in which the four companies were laying at Marine View. 1830 Companies moved to BELAH NORTH AREA at Hill 100 via Crossing 35 and KINGSWAY. HQ moved via CAITO ROAD, RED HOUSE, ST.JAMES' PARK. Batt reported IN at 2117

8 Oct 1917 Reorganization of companies, Bathing Parade, Commanding Officer's address to all ranks at 1100.

Good luck

Michael

Regarding 'Apex'

The same article used for Regents Park (see above post)

also mentions Abbas Apex - could this be what you are looking for?

quote:

At this time the enemy had several very strong and heavily wired redoubts in his front line, and of these, by far the most spectacular was dug round a derelict tank of ours, lost in the second Gaza battle. It was known to us as Tank Redoubt and lay opposite Abbas Apex in our own line and some 1600 yards away.

St. James Park appears on this map (wrong battle of Gaza, but never mind)

StJamesParkGaza1917.jpg

and IF your 'Apex' is also the Abbas Apex op Tank Redoubt, then you will find them below

ShkAbbasTankRedoubt3rdGazaNov1917.jpg

re orientation for this second map; the Turkish trenches in the top left hand corner are those of the Maze as seen in the earlier maps

Good hunting for Regents Park

Michael

Michael

fantastic - thank you. Will work through what you have shared and see where it takes me.

Just starting to understand the size of the task I may have set myself here.

Regards

Dave