Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with 3 Baker Brothers in 3 services.

roughdiamond

Hi Folks

I've been asked by a friend at work for help on finding information on Her Grandfather who survived, and his 2 Brothers who sadly didn't, Her Grandfather is George Thomas Baker DOB 20/10/1892, She reckons he enlisted in the Army but finished the War with the RFC, his address on enlistment would almost certainly be that of his Brother William below.

I found William for her on the CWGC site which I've copied below and she supplied Walters entry, but I'm a bit dubious about it as it would seem strange for his parents not to be mentioned as they are on Williams entry.

Anyway any help would be gratefully received.

Name:BAKER, WILLIAM HENRY

Initials:W H

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Navy

Unit Text:H.M.S. "Aboukir."Age:19

Date of Death:22/09/1914

Service No:SS/4754

Additional information:Son of Walter and Ellen M. Baker, of 95A, Vallentine Rd., Walthamstow, London.

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:3.

Memorial:CHATHAM NAVAL MEMORIAL

Name:BAKER, WALTER H.

Initials:W H

Nationality:United Kingdom

Regiment/Service:Royal Irish Fusiliers

Unit Text:9th Bn.

Date of Death:16/08/1917

Service No:43312

Casualty Type:Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference:Panel 140 to 141.

Memorial:TYNE COT MEMORIAL

I'm a bit dubious about it as it would seem strange for his parents not to be mentioned as they are on Williams entry.

Just thinking out loud as it were but I guess it's possible that their next of kin details were different, perhaps one of the brothers had got married etc. The forms would then have gone to different relatives and their submissions (or lack of) could then account for the lack of personal details.

Regards

Steve

rd

A story here for the lost soul from the ABOUKIR,one of three lost to the same U-boat:

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/cressy.htm

There is a George BAKER Service number 169 with the RFC and who shipped into France on 12.8.1914,this from a Medal Index Card which only shows the entitlement to a 1914 Star,so I am assuming there is another card somewhere for his British War and Victory Medals.

Sotonmate

rd

A story here for the lost soul from the ABOUKIR,one of three lost to the same U-boat:

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/cressy.htm

There is a George BAKER Service number 169 with the RFC and who shipped into France on 12.8.1914,this from a Medal Index Card which only shows the entitlement to a 1914 Star,so I am assuming there is another card somewhere for his British War and Victory Medals.

Sotonmate

Cheers, I'll pass that on, Pat seemed sure her Grandad was 1st Army then RFC, but you're saying the MIC says he was RFC in 1914?

So it looks like George Baker left the RFC or was re-numbered as he would have been entitled to the War and Victory medals if he had the 1914 Star?

If it's the right George? Pat has sent me a photo of her Grandfather in Army Uniform, but there are no badges showing and he's capless so no clues there, but he looks a lot younger than the photo wearing his RFC OR's tunic, in the photo he isn't wearing any medal ribbons so I'm taking it the photo was taken during the War.

She'd be interested to know if there are any medal cards for the other Brothers or Service records for any onf them.

There is a card for:

Name Baker, William Henry

Official Number: SS4754

Place of Birth: West Ham, Essex

On the NA site - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=28 - it can be downloaded for £3.50

Heres the 1901 census:

BAKER, Walter Head Married M 37 1864 Chimney Sweep Lamberhurst Kent

BAKER, Ellen M Wife Married F 36 1865 Islington London

BAKER, Florence Daughter F 13 1888 Walthamstow Essex

BAKER, Nellie Daughter F 11 1890 Walthamstow Essex

BAKER, Herbert Son M 9 1892 Walthamstow Essex

BAKER, George Son M 8 1893 Walthamstow Essex

BAKER, William Son M 6 1895 Walthamstow Essex

BAKER, Edith Daughter F 3 1898 Walthamstow Essex

I found a birth entry for a Walter Herbert BAKER (W Ham / 4A / 324 / 3qt / 1891) but cant find him on the census, could he have been called Herbert by the family to diffrenate between father and son ?

There is only 1 George BAKER listed in the NA as RFC (the one in post #4) - http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=5

Hth

Grant

Hi Grant

I've asked Pat to look at your post, you are correct with Williams service number and from info I have from Pat, the family in the Census, it looks like Walter Herbert has been listed as Herbert in the census, I can only surmise that Wathamstow comes under the Borough of West Ham which would mean the Walter Herbert Birth entry will be correct.

As for George, Pat has his medals and will check the rim for his service numbers.

Thanks very much, I'm sure Pat will be delighted.

Sam

Sorry, should have said that address in 1901 was:

40, Clarkson Road, Walthamstow, Registration District: West Ham

Grant

Edit - Walter BAKER married Ellen Maria BUCHANAN - W Ham / 4A / 206 / 1qt /1888