Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Staff gorgets

dutchbarge

Apologies for the pedantry...

1. He wouldn't be an 'RFA' colonel - he would be a full colonel on the staff, late RFA.

2. Right gorget.

a bit more pedantry: they are gorget patches ....... the gorget was a 'metal duty badge' suspended from a pair of ornamental patches ......... a few remants can still be see today. The German Feldpolizei in both wars wore gorgets, I believe, as a sign of authority.

Hello

By chance I was with gorgets matter recently, and I found this about:

Gorget Patches.—General officers and the officers mentioned in para. 138 will wear gorget patches

of scarlet cloth on the collar of the serge frock, service dress and khaki drill jackets.

The gorget patches for general officers have a line of gold oak-leaf embroidery along the centre, with a gorget button. Those for general officers of the Headquarter Staff have gold chaingimp in place of gold embroidery. Officers below the rank of general officer have a line of crimson silk gimp instead of gold. For surgeon-generals the gorget patch is of black velvet, embroidered as above.

138 Officers holding the following appointments will wear staff distinctions.

General Officer, and Staff Officer of the Headquarter Staff of the Army.

Major-General in charge of Administration.

Brigadier-General of the General Staff.

Brigadier-General in Charge of Administration.

Officers of the General Staff.

Officers shewn in the Army List as attached to the General Staff at Headquarters of Commands.

Staff Officer for Royal Horse and Field Artillery

Assistant Adjutant-General.

Regards

• 2 weeks later...
Hello

By chance I was with gorgets matter recently, and I found this about:

Thanks for the information. Regarding color, I've never seen a gorget patch with matching gimp and facing. The gimp always seems a bit darker than the facing. They certainly look better this way, but definately not both scarlet!

Cheers, Bill

Thanks for the information. Regarding color, I've never seen a gorget patch with matching gimp and facing. The gimp always seems a bit darker than the facing. They certainly look better this way, but definately not both scarlet!

Cheers, Bill

I'm referring of course to staff gorgets.

Cheers, Bill

Cheers, Bill

I'm referring of course to staff gorgets.

Cheers, Bill

Bill,

My great grandfrather was a RA staff oifficer in the 1st World War; here are his gorget patches.

post-917-1255796093.jpg

(

Julian

Bill,

My great grandfrather was a RA staff oifficer in the 1st World War; here are his gorget patches.

Julian

Thanks Julian. They certainly look scarlette, both board and gimp!

Cheers, Bill