Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Maj Harry Turner Tovey, Royal Field Artillery, C Bty

rugbyremembers

According to CWGC, HTT killed 22/04/18 at the age of 37.

C Bty 88th Brigade RFA, buried Mendinghem

Any more known?

Parents and many siblings (most notably xi);

Colonel Hamilton TOVEY RE, b. 16 Jul 1841, 7 Tamar Tce, Stoke, Dameral, Devonport. He married Maria Eliza GOODHUE, m. 14 Apr 1864, in London, Ontario, Canada, b. 27 Jun 1843, London, Ontario Canada, (daughter of Hon George Jervis GOODHUE

and Louisa MATTHEWS) d. 13 Sep 1926, Boscombe, Hants, England.

Colonel Hamilton died 5 Aug 1889, London, England.

Children:

i Mary Louisa (Molly) TOVEY, b. 11 Apr 1865, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. She married Francis DUKA.

ii Maria (Minnie) TOVEY, b. 24 Apr 1866, Halifax, Nova Scotia,Canada. She married Harold TINGAY.

iii Hamilton Tennent TOVEY, b. 1 Jun 1870, Stoke Damerel. He married Alice May WEBSTER, (daughter of John Alfred WEBSTER and Martha Wilhelmina KEMP). Hamilton died 1912.

iv Harold Dunbar TOVEY, b. 16 Nov 1871, 2 Victoria Villas, Gillingham, New Brompton. He married Mary (May) Louisa m. 25 Jul 1907, in St Marys, Shortland, Kent, b. 24 Jul 1883, Atherfield, Bournemouth, (daughter of Alexander Tovey DRYSDALE and Louisa ICELY) d. 12 Jan 1948, Wirelsfield, Sussex. Harold died 12 Dec 1943, West Chittingdon, Sussex, England.

v Francis Hamilton TOVEY, b. 23 Sep 1872, Southsea, d. 1899, India.

vi Rose Irvine TOVEY, b. 23 Feb 1874, Southsea.

vii Lt Col George Strangways TOVEY, b. 29 Sep 1875, Southsea. He married Lilian Mary CONDER, m. 1910, (daughter of Rev A CONDER) d. 1939. Lt Col died 13 Jan 1943.

viii Dr Arthur Hamilton TOVEY, b. 25 Oct 1876, Waltham Abbey, England. He married Florence PRIESTLEY, m. 10 SEPT in St Peters, Wellington, b. 18 Jan 1880, Foxteth Park, Lancaster, (daughter of William Hudson PRIESTLEY and Katharine Hastings Hudson EVANS) d. 12 Feb 1973, Auckland. Dr Arthur died 11 JUNE 1943, Tauranga, buried: 12 JUNE 1943, Tauranga Cemetery.

ix Grace Katherine Adams TOVEY, b. 25 Apr 1879, Waltham Abbey.

x Harry Turner TOVEY, b. 16 May 1880, Waltham Abbey. He married Gwendoline Frances (Poppy) NOEL. Harry died 22 Apr 1918, WWI.

xi Lord John Cronyn TOVEY, b. 7 Mar 1885, Boley Hill, Rochester Kent. He married Aida ROWE, m. 1916, (daughter of John ROWE) d. 1970, Swanage, England. Lord Tovey died 12 Jan 1971, Swanage, England, buried: Burial service at Westminister Abbey 1971. He was Admiral of the Fleet during WWII and was responsible for the sinking of the Bismarck.

Quite a productive record and the last clearly not the runt of the litter!

many thanks

Rugby,

You may well be aware that Major Tovey was killed during the battle at Kemmel where the 88th. Bgde. 19th. Division were heavily involved. My uncle a Corporal, later Sgt. was in "C" battery of the 88th. Bgde at the time, being awarded the C de G.

Colin.

I was not aware, and this is good information. Do you have more on this action, given that your uncle was there.

You will see my interest if you visit www.rugbyremembers.co.uk, a project to create new memorial to te men of Rosslyn Park, of which Tovey was one.

Grtafeul for any more you can tell me.

best wishes

Stephen

Another brother in the RFA

Description

A Great War C.M.G., D.S.O. group of seven awarded to Lieutenant Colonel G. S. Tovey, Royal Field Artillery

The Order of St. Michael and St. George, C.M.G., neck badge in silver-gilt and enamels, enamel damage to reverse centre and surround; Distinguished Service Order, G.V.R.; Queen’s South Africa 1899-1902, 4 clasps, Cape Colony, Paardeberg, Driefontein, Transvaal (Capt., R.F.A.); King’s South Africa, 2 clasps (Capt., R.F.A.); 1914 Star, with Mons bar (Major, R.F.A.); British War and Victory Medals, M.I.D. (Lt. Col.) together with R.A. officer’s cap badge and various other badges, the Boer War pair with edge bruising and contact marks, otherwise generally good very fine (7)

Rugby,

I do not have a great deal of info. on the artillery action at Kemmel , just general info. on the 19th. Div. who's artillery stayed to support the French when the division itself was relieved. I have the 19th. Div. history & will delve later & advise if anything of use.

However I do have a great deal of information on the battles of Kemmel in April, 18, too large for the forum, if you wish to to receive same I would require your e mail adress.

There is a member who has the records for the 19th. Div. artillery , "Azareus" if I remember correctly & have spelt the name correctly.

Cheers for now.

Colin.