Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Frank Herbert Glock ASC MI/08703 (second post)

BillD2

Hi All, this is a studio portrait of my grandfather - I guess it was taken in November 1914 before he left for France (the uniform is pristine!)

Bill

The photo cannot date to any earlier than 1916, as he is wearing what is often called a "trench cap", introduced that year - this was essentially a soft version of the stiff peaked cap, but easily recognizable due to the concentric rows of stitching on the peak. Have a look at the following (about a third of the way down the page):

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ceftp/caps.htm

Hi Bill I note the picture of your Grandfather was taken in Lewisham, I too recently posted a picture of a ASC man taken around this period also in Lewisham (Nola,234,High Street, Lewisham, SE) was this a depot for recruits joining ASC. I am trying to piece together a service History of a relative and would like to

get more details of ASC and his movements.

Hi

My grandfather lived in Lewisham and I have other family portraits taken at the same studio so I can't say that Lewisham was a depot. What was the title of your post out of curiosity?

Bill

Hi Bill I note the picture of your Grandfather was taken in Lewisham, I too recently posted a picture of a ASC man taken around this period also in Lewisham (Nola,234,High Street, Lewisham, SE) was this a depot for recruits joining ASC. I am trying to piece together a service History of a relative and would like to

get more details of ASC and his movements.

Thanks, Andrew

I shouldn't have jumped to conclusions - maybe the photo was taken to celebrate getting the new cap!

Bill

The photo cannot date to any earlier than 1916, as he is wearing what is often called a "trench cap", introduced that year - this was essentially a soft version of the stiff peaked cap, but easily recognizable due to the concentric rows of stitching on the peak. Have a look at the following (about a third of the way down the page):

http://www.kaisersbunker.com/ceftp/caps.htm