Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd black watch

bradley

greeetings,i would love to have a look at any written recordings of the 2nd black watch

from their arrival at marseille,1914 through to the aubers ridge fiasco

where a great uncle perished on the 9th may 1915

private norman graham,pte 1001 rest in peace

any info appreciated

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bradley,

I too had a (gt-...)gt-uncle in the 2nd Black Watch, died November 1915. If you do get any info can you let me know?

regards

Clark

greeetings,i would love to have a look at any written recordings of the 2nd black watch

from their arrival at marseille,1914 through to the aubers ridge fiasco

where a great uncle perished on the 9th may 1915

private norman graham,pte 1001 rest in peace

any info appreciated

Hi Bradley The Attack On May 9th,1915. from "History Of The Black Watch In The Great War"

"The Battalion was formed for attack in two line.No.2 Company ( Lt.A.H.C.Sutherland ) and No.4 Company ( Cpt.G.C.S.Mcleod ) being in the front line.At 3.20 p.m.the bombardment recommenced:the assault was timed for 4 p.m.By about 3.55 p.m. the front lines issued from the trenches and lay down awaiting the signal to charge.Colonel Harvey remained on the right,and ordered Major Wauchope to watch and report progress on the left of our line.Large numbers of Germans could be seen issuing from communication trenches and filing along the front,unaffected by our very weak bombardment.

The attack was met by a very accurate and extremely heavy rifle and machine-gun fire from the moment it began.A wide stream full of water and mud ran across No Mans Land ( which was about 200 yards wide ),on the right within a few yards of our trench,on the left rather nearer the German than the British line.Some thirty bridges were supposed to have been constructed on our front,but few were existing when the Battalion madev its attack.The greater number of the casualties fell close to or into this obstacle.

Major Wauchope reported that the attack of the battalion on our left was a complete failure and that no further progress could be made by No.4 Company.Colonel Harvey had observed the same situation on the right,and with his usual promptness and readiness to accept responsibility ordered the attack to cease,and No.3 Company,which was to have followed the leading companies,not to cross the parapet:this action saved the Regiment many lives which would otherwise have been lost in continuing a hopeless attack."

Losses in this brief assault

Killed--3 Officers,69 O.Rs,

Wounded--5 Officers 157 O.Rs

Missing-- 36 O.Rs ( practically all killed close to the German trenches)

Total 270 out of 450 engaged,or 60%

I hope this is of help to you,all the best Gary.

thats great info gary thanks,i knew about the attack and its futility but surprised there wasnt more kia and missing

pte norman graham was listed as missing and still is,now id like to find the exact location as to pay a visit

would i find more info at the black watch museum or in fact,where did you get your info from? archives? book?

sorry to be a pain,just eager to find out as much as i can

• 7 years later...
26 minutes ago, Bones said:

We are also researching a Norman Graham from Brechin, Scotland who died in WW1. Could this be the same one?

According to the Scottish National War Memorial 1001 Norman Graham was from Leith, Edinburgh.

The Norman Graham you may be after was in the Gordon Highlanders then the Seaforth Highlanders.

https://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/?id=948348&searchid=e367c8b1dda9072c59dce5cc33cf34a1&page=1

https://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/?id=927080&searchid=3f5c5609b8e9d8cf7e1d18ce08ea59c3&page=1

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/309140/GRAHAM, N

Cheers,
Derek.

Edited by Derek Black

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you ever so so so much.  This is wonderful.  

Would you have any information on Norman Graham's brothers Charles and John Graham, also from Brechin who died in WW1?  Their names are listed on the Brechin war monument and I believe that they are three of 5 brothers of Margaret Graham, our Great Great Grandmother. 

• 2 weeks later...
On February 15, 2017 at 22:05, Bones said:

Would you have any information on Norman Graham's brothers Charles and John Graham, also from Brechin who died in WW1?  Their names are listed on the Brechin war monument and I believe that they are three of 5 brothers of Margaret Graham, our Great Great Grandmother. 

On January 30, 2017 at 00:00, Derek Black said:

According to the Scottish National War Memorial 1001 Norman Graham was from Leith, Edinburgh.

The Norman Graham you may be after was in the Gordon Highlanders then the Seaforth Highlanders.

https://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/?id=948348&searchid=e367c8b1dda9072c59dce5cc33cf34a1&page=1

https://www.snwm.org/content/roll-search/?id=927080&searchid=3f5c5609b8e9d8cf7e1d18ce08ea59c3&page=1

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/309140/GRAHAM, N

Cheers,
Derek.

On 16/02/2017 at 03:05, Bones said:

Charles - MiC

CWGC and SNWM
Charles initially deployed wiht the 5th, then was part of the merged 4th/5h btn , then was transferred to the 6th Btn.
He was awarded the Military Medal. 

John - MiC

CWGC and SNWM

John initially deployed with the 10th Btn, then 14th and finally the 1st Btn.

Cheers,

Derek

On 16/02/2017 at 03:05, Bones said:

Charles - MiC

CWGC and SNWM
Charles initially deployed wiht the 5th, then was part of the merged 4th/5h btn , then was transferred to the 6th Btn.
He was awarded the Military Medal. 

John - MiC

CWGC and SNWM

John initially deployed with the 10th Btn, then 14th and finally the 1st Btn.

Charles' war gratuity shows he received £23 (gross). This was for 46 months qualifying service at time of death.

John's war gratuity shows he received £14 (gross). This was for 30 months qualifying service at time of death.

The two men are not brothers - Charles' war gratuity was paid to his father Thomas, John's was paid to his father, John.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

57 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Charles' war gratuity shows he received £23 (gross). This was for 46 months qualifying service at time of death.

John's war gratuity shows he received £14 (gross). This was for 30 months qualifying service at time of death.

The two men are not brothers - Charles' war gratuity was paid to his father Thomas, John's was paid to his father, John.

Craig

1 hour ago, ss002d6252 said:

Craig

Do you know who received Norman Graham of Brechin gratuity?  

7 minutes ago, Bones said:

Do you know who received Norman Graham of Brechin gratuity?  

His Mother, Margaret (there should also be a soldiers will on Scotland's people)

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

• 1 month later...

Thank you so much......you do know when we could get more information regarding his death on July 20, 1918....I believe it was during the Second Battle of the Marne, The Battle of Tardenois...Is there a good account of the battle you could recommend? 

Just wondering if anybody has advice on obtaining additional details of death of Norman Graham at the 2nd Battle of the Marne? 

Edited by Bones