Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

.303 identification

lionboxer

As others have said, it could be either an American .30-06 (their infantry cartridge) or a .50 Browning. My guess is it is a .50, based on the three position primer stake and that it is a dummy with a wood insert which can be seen through the enlarged firehole. However, without any scale it is impossible to be sure.

Measurements would settle it.

Regards

TonyE

• Admin

Thank you all, another family myth busted by the forum ^_^

I just remember it being there and a source of fascination for a small boy, my grandfather committed suicide (PTSD?) so I never got to ask him.

For the record the casing is 120mm

Thanks again, a little disappointed but good to get it right.

Ken

Thank you all, another family myth busted by the forum ^_^

I just remember it being there and a source of fascination for a small boy, my grandfather committed suicide (PTSD?) so I never got to ask him.

For the record the casing is 120mm

Thanks again, a little disappointed but good to get it right.

Ken

Sorry about that Ken.

BTW does your example still have the bullet in? 120mm is a good bit longer than my case.

This was picked up at Grafton Underwood years ago.

post-14525-1271031639.jpg

post-14525-1271031646.jpg

Chris

Case length of a .50 BMG is 99mm (12.7 x 99mm) so 120mm for a complete round is about right. As I said in the previous post, it looks like a dummy round to me. has the case any holes in the side?

Chris - I am sure you know, but your case was made by Remington Arms Co.

Regards

TonyE

• Admin

Oh dear,

I'm going to be in trouble with the pedants as I measured it in haste using Mrs F's triangular ruler :rolleyes:

Here for complete completeness - and now measured properly is the family heirloom - could have been worse could have been an 18 pounder shell as that was what his battery used!

btw Chris - Grafton Underwood - small world maybe mine came from there too - I'm originally from Kettering and used to cycle over there and learned to drive on the airfield in the 60s (along with dozens of others)

thanks again everyone for your help

Ken

No, we forgive you!

Definitely a .50 Browning, but it seems to have been made into an unofficial dummy, as there are no holes or flutes in the sides of the case. from your photograph it looks like there is a wood insert inside the case. Can you have a look please.

Regards

TonyE

• Admin

phew, that's a relief!

The case is hollow, but I think there may have been something as when stood on end the round drops into the case, although a snug fit, but my recollection of it on the mantlepiece was that it appeared intact!

regards

Ken

btw small world (2) I used to work in SW 19!