Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Reasearch 26989 Pte G.A Courte North'D Fus

Richard Matlock

Hello again all !!

New reasearch for me a pair of medals to the above a 26989 PTE G A Courte North'D Fus , I am unsure which battalion the North'D would be ?

I am sure its obvious !! , i have not been able to do anything with these yet , i wonder if some clever person could please look for his MIC and see if there is anything on Ancestry ?

thanks again in anticipation , its like waiting to open your presents on crimbo morning.

Rich M :blink::poppy::ph34r:

I've just had a quick look. His MIC states

George A Courte. Seems he moved to the Military Foot Police (at least I think thats what MFP is) with the number P11174.

There is also a service file for him which states George Allan Courte.

Enlisted 11/12/1915

2nd Garrison Battalion

Seems to have served in India, and then Iraq. In hospital 16/07/17 with effects of heat, Basrah.

20 Pages in all. PM me with your address and I can email you the file if you like.

Jonathan

First World War

In 1914 the Corps of Military Mounted Police and the Corps of Military Foot Police had a total establishment of nearly 5000 men. When the British Expeditionary Force was sent to France in that year, each division had one Assistant Provost Marshal in the rank of Major and several NCOs. The Provost Marshal was a Colonel until 1915, and a Brigadier-General thenceforward.

During the retreat from Mons the MPs were busy dealing with soldiers who, through exhaustion or the general confusion of battle, had either lost or became detached from their units. By operating stragglers posts, the MPs were able to return soldiers to their units. These posts were also well placed to pick out deserters and those Absent With Out Leave (AWOL).

The First World War was the conflict where traffic control became an important function. This was identified particularly after the Battle of Loos, when there was a lot of confusion involving two British divisions. As well as traffic control, the BEF provost units dealt with the maintenance of law and order (i.e. the detection of crime and the arrest of offenders), custody of prisoners of war until handed over to detention facilities, surveillance, control and protection of civilians.

The work undertaken by MPs was not all carried out behind the lines, and sometimes they came under heavy fire. During this conflict, the Military Police suffered 375 casualties. Sixty-five received the Distinguished Conduct Medal and 260 received the Military Medal.

As well as the BEF, MPs served in war zones around world during the First World War.